• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Latest IOC diary updates (4 Viewers)

Mysticete

United States
What does BOW stand for?

Anyway, I prefer linkable family lists that I can click on and go to a specific family. This helps me when I am visiting an exotic country and need to double check my field guide taxonomy versus the current IOC checklist. I can just go to the family containing the bird of interest, and minimize my scrolling. I know I could also download the the list and use excel to search, but sometimes I am too lazy to do so.

jts1882

United Kingdom
I like using the website over using the spreadsheets. I agree with Mysticete about the family lists, although I'm now familiar with the BOW (Birds of the World) pages.

I think its possible to do both without having to make a number of different pages. One page can do it interactively, dynamically selecting the range of the IOC Googlesheets spreadsheet to display in the iframe..

I've my own program that does this for family, order and BOW pages, displaying the data from the IOC Googlesheets data. It uses JQuery and I think the code could easily be adapted to work on the IOC website if they are interested.

There are three dropdown lists: for the familiar BOW pages, order and family. The dropdown lists can be sorted by sequence or alphabetical order. A genus list could be added easily enough and can be generated with an appropriate url.

Examples:

Order Eurypygiformes: IOC Interactive Orders and Families

Family Laniidae: IOC Interactive Orders and Families

Genus Tangara: IOC Interactive Orders and Families

l_raty

laurent raty
I can just go to the family containing the bird of interest, and minimize my scrolling. I know I could also download the the list and use excel to search, but sometimes I am too lazy to do so.
Ditto, I guess... (Except I don't use, nor even have, excel; but I could use Calc.)

Additionally, I always access the BOW pages from the Family Index, never through the dropdown BOW menu, because this menu is huge and, as it lacks a scroll bar, the only way I have to navigate it is with the wheel of my mouse. Scrolling 5 screens down and up with a mouse wheel is a bit of a pain.

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
So, this is a good opportunity to hear from Bird Forum participants if it is even desirable for the IOC World Bird List to continue to maintain the BOW pages or, if in the future, it will be sufficient for us to simply provide access to the spreadsheets.

Please weigh in!

Thanks.

David
Personally I have never used the IOC list to link to BoW - I do that through eBird. So drop it, no worries for me.

jts1882

United Kingdom
Personally I have never used the IOC list to link to BoW - I do that through eBird. So drop it, no worries for me.

Here BOW pages refers to the IOC pages showing parts of their spreadsheet. There are no links to the Birds of the World website that I am aware of. It's unfortunate that BOW is used by both the IOC and Cornell, but the usage on the IOC site predates the Cornell website.

Andy Adcock

England
Aug 31 Split Fulvous-faced Scrub Tyrant from Fulvous-crowned Scrub Tyrant (formerly Tawny-crowned Pygmy Tyrant).

Aug 31 Change English name of South American Snipe to Pantanal Snipe.

Aug 31 Replace the scientific name of Yellowish Pipit from Anthus lutescens Pucheran, 1855 to Anthus chii Vieillot, 1818.

Aug 30 Move Caatinga Antwren from the genus Herpsilochmus to monotypic Radinopsyche gen. nov.

Aug 30 Move Silvery-cheeked Antshrike from the genus Sakesphorus to monotypic Sakesphoroides.

Aug 30 Change English names of Euscarthmus species from Pygmy Tyrant to Scrub Tyrant.

MJB

Sept 1. Post proposed split of Chinese Long-tailed Rosefinch from Siberian Long-tailed Rosefinch.

Sept. 1 Post proposed splits of Roving Cuckooshrike and Visayan Cuckooshrike from Bar-bellied Cuckooshrike.

The first presumably accepts the conclusions of Liu et al 2020.
MJB
Liu, S, C Wei, PJ Leader, GJ. Carey, C Jia, Y Fu, P Alström and Y Liu. 2020. Taxonomic revision of the Long‑tailed Rosefinch Carpodacus sibiricus complex. J. Orn. 10pp. doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01801-9

DDonsker

David Donsker
Sept 1. Post proposed split of Chinese Long-tailed Rosefinch from Siberian Long-tailed Rosefinch.

Sept. 1 Post proposed splits of Roving Cuckooshrike and Visayan Cuckooshrike from Bar-bellied Cuckooshrike.

The first presumably accepts the conclusions of Liu et al 2020.
MJB
Liu, S, C Wei, PJ Leader, GJ. Carey, C Jia, Y Fu, P Alström and Y Liu. 2020. Taxonomic revision of the Long‑tailed Rosefinch Carpodacus sibiricus complex. J. Orn. 10pp. doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01801-9
It is based on Liu et al.

Just as a reminder to all Bird Forum users. The Diary is only a telegraphic way of communicating news. If you are interested in specifics, always look for the details on the various Updates pages. In this case, they would be under the Proposed Splits/Lumps page.

Jacana

Will Jones
Hungary
Sept 12 Post proposed split of Malabar Flameback from Greater Flameback.

Sept 12 Change English name of Stejneger's Stonechat to Amur Stonechat to align with Clements/eBird (2021).

Sept 12 Post proposed split of Sunda Zebra Finch and Australian Zebra Finch.

Sept. 12 Post proposed split of Orange-lined Sunbird from Purple-throated Sunbird.

Sept. 11 Transfer Sundaic and Philippine subspecies of Acrocephalus stentoreus to Acrocephalus australis. Change English name of the latter from Australian Reed Warbler to Australasian Reed Warbler.

MJB

Sept 13 Post proposed splits of Modest Flowerpecker and Tenggara Flowerpecker from Thick-billed Flowerpecker.

Sept 13 Post proposed split of Pomatorhinus phayrei (Brown-crowned/Phayre's Scimitar Babbler, five subspecies) from monotypic P. ferruginosus (Coral-billed/Black-crowned Scimitar Babbler). English names under discussion.

Sept 12 Re-post proposed splits of Yellow-billed Egret (Africa) and Plumed Egret (Australasia) from Intermediate Egret (Asia).

Sept 12 Post proposed split of Walden's Scops Owl Otus modestus (Andaman Is.) from Oriental Scops Owl.

Sept. 12 Post proposed split of Flores Leaf Warbler from Timor Leaf Warbler.
MJB

opisska

Jan Ebr
Czech Republic
For me Intermediate Egret is a bird famous mostly by how hard it is to ID it from other egrets ... and now it will get even split into three ... I wonder if anyone would ever be able to tell them apart :)

MJB

For me Intermediate Egret is a bird famous mostly by how hard it is to ID it from other egrets ... and now it will get even split into three ... I wonder if anyone would ever be able to tell them apart :)
Plumed Egret (plumifera) has only a black tip to its bill. One reference cited by IOC, Cake et al 2016, makes this point concerning a vagrant Intermediate Egret (intermedia) in Western Australia which has extensive black on its bill. The former occurs mostly south of the Greater Sundas, whereas the latter inhabits the Greater Sundas north to Japan and India.

I expect there will be wanderers across that ephemeral boundary...
MJB
Cake MA, JK Graff and D Mantle. 2016. Identification of a nominate Intermediate Egret Ardea intermedia intermedia in south-western Australia. Aust. Field Orn. 33: 1–13.

Ian Lewis

aka Gryllo
Europe
Plumed Egret (plumifera) has only a black tip to its bill. One reference cited by IOC, Cake et al 2016, makes this point concerning a vagrant Intermediate Egret (intermedia) in Western Australia which has extensive black on its bill. The former occurs mostly south of the Greater Sundas, whereas the latter inhabits the Greater Sundas north to Japan and India.

I expect there will be wanderers across that ephemeral boundary...
MJB
Cake MA, JK Graff and D Mantle. 2016. Identification of a nominate Intermediate Egret Ardea intermedia intermedia in south-western Australia. Aust. Field Orn. 33: 1–13.
Any idea which one I would have seen on Christmas Island? a lot closer to the Greater Sundas than Australian mainland

MJB

Latest IOC Updates:

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Indochinese Babbler from Scaly-crowned Babbler.

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Pellorneum macropterum (Bornean Swamp Babbler) from P. rostratum White-chested Babbler (Malayan Swamp Babbler) based on vocal and genetic differences (Eaton et al 2021). English names tentative.

Sept 16 Post proposed splits of Glissando Babbler Pellorneum saturatum (Sarawak, w Kalimantan) and Leaflitter Babbler Pellorneum poliogene (Sabah, Brunei, e Kalimantan) from Short-tailed (Mourning) Babbler P. malaccense (Malay Pen., Sumatra) based on pronounced vocal and genome-wide differences (Eaton et al 2021). English names tentative .

Sept 16 Post proposed split of Palawan Tit-Babbler from Pin-striped Tit-Babbler.
MJB
PS I like 'Glissando Babbler' as an English name!

Users who are viewing this thread