• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (2 Viewers)

Sally Conyne

Latest version of the IOC World List is available in multiple formats On Line (www.worldbirdnames.org).

The website includes a Google Search Tool on the Home Page to locate specific taxa and revisions.

Thanks again to many of you for your participation

Sally Conyne for the IOC team

May 16 Completely update and revise the sequence and taxonomy of Thraupidae.

May 16 Accept synonymization of Picumnus fulvescens with Picumnus limae.

May 15 Revise subspecies of Red-tailed Black Cockatoo following Ewart et al. 2020.

May 14. Revise genus of Buff-spotted Woodpecker and Brown-eared Woodpecker from Campethera to Pardipicus.

May 14. Split Fine-banded Woodpecker (Campethera taeniolaema, including hausburgi) from Tullberg’s Woodpecker (C. tullbergi).

Last edited:
IOC at present has 383 species of Thraupidae. The word "Completely" implies that we aren't going to recognize the family once they get through with it. Yikes.

I hope a different reading is possible: complete because they feel this time they got the order right. (as opposed to having made gradual improvements they did know were not the end of the road).

Niels

I would imagine revision of Thraupidae will focus on all the various recent SACC checklist proposals. It will be recognizable, unless of course you haven't followed anything at all dealing with there taxonomy in the last 20 years.

Hopefully they can take on the New World Sparrows next, as much of the genus level taxonomy is out of date last I checked.

I would imagine revision of Thraupidae will focus on all the various recent SACC checklist proposals. It will be recognizable, unless of course you haven't followed anything at all dealing with there taxonomy in the last 20 years.

Hopefully they can take on the New World Sparrows next, as much of the genus level taxonomy is out of date last I checked.

I assume that some of the really widespread stuff like Blue-grey and Palm Tanager might get split?

I assume that some of the really widespread stuff like Blue-grey and Palm Tanager might get split?

I would guess the vast majority are genera level shifts, as that is where the vast majority of shifts in classification of Tanager have centered in the last few years. Most of the traditional genera recognized are paraphyletic or polyphyletic. Also moving some things in and out of different families, although I think IOC has been working on this.

I never read that brief blurb on the IOC website as meaning anything other than genera getting resorted.

There are no splits or lumps in the Tanagers - it's all genera changes
(and 1 english name change: Change English name from Cabanis’s Tanager to Azure-rumped Tanager following NACC.)

There are no splits or lumps in the Tanagers - it's all genera changes
(and 1 english name change: Change English name from Cabanis’s Tanager to Azure-rumped Tanager following NACC.)

Okay then, nothing to see for me here

As far as I am concerned, they should be ordered by the RGB hex value of their average color :)

Although seeing Hemispingus no longer exist in Latin, while being the English name of a large number of Tanagers is a bit funny!

Pretty damn easy if you look at https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/proposed-splits/

or

https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/update-diary/

No one is forcing you to look at the taxonomy table!

Ha! First of all I had the tables mixed up. Second, they changed the split one finally! There used to be a field something like "comes after" which didn't really say much if you were not looking at the whole spreadsheet, but now there is "parent species" and that's absolutely what was needed! Now I am happy with following IOC :)

Also: wow, there is a new WP Scrub Warbler species in the works :)

Last edited:
No one is forcing you to look at the taxonomy table!
The taxonomy table would be vastly more readable if its width was not set to "119.559%"... (This makes it impossible to have the left-most and right-most columns visible simultaneously in a browser window.)

Definitely not the split into 14 new families that I heard rumoured recently, then.

The major family level changes have already been completed. Sounds like you are getting subfamilies mixed up with families, as there was a recent paper which reorganized tanagers and named ~15 different subfamilies (although I think some of these already existed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back