• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (2 Viewers)

A lucky pick-up at Km 23 on Dasyueshan, at the fruiting tree, where we saw single female or immature birds on two days. Good to see this very distinctive taxon split by most now, been waiting since I first saw it in 2003!
We had it at the top car park at Anmashan at KM 50, a nice male in a conifer at the same time as a Flamecrest.

I expect a lot more of this group to get split though I've only seen Bornean and Philippine on top of Taiwan.

Ah yes, I reckon something like 28 species to come, but the rate they are going there will be more......I need to go see the remnant New Caledonian population on some small island, worrying how so many of the island ones are becoming hard to find.

We had it at the top car park at Anmashan at KM 50, a nice male in a conifer at the same time as a Flamecrest.

I expect a lot more of this group to get split though I've only seen Bornean and Philippine on top of Taiwan.
I was told I was Dasyueshan at the wrong time of year to see it there.

I've only seen the Philippine (Mount Apo) one so far.

Ah yes, I reckon something like 28 species to come, but the rate they are going there will be more......I need to go see the remnant New Caledonian population on some small island, worrying how so many of the island ones are becoming hard to find.
I meant more will have evolved at this rate. I've seen two on Fiji, one in the Solomons plus the rather uniform New Guinea birds so far, and so many are little known and hard to find.

Mar 20 Post proposed split of Northern Double-collared Sunbird into Rift Sunbird C. reichenowi and Volcano Sunbird C. preussi.

Start sharpening your pencils, folks!

Mar 27 Post accepted split of Dayak Blue Flycatcher from Javan Blue Flycatcher.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Island Collared Dove into Sunda Collared Dove and Philippine Collared Dove.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Banggai Scops Owl from Sulawesi Scops Owl.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Olive-brown Oriole into Timor Oriole and Wetar Oriole.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Paradise-crow into Halmahera Paradise-crow and Obi Paradise-crow.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Black Magpie into Malayan Black Magpie and Bornean Black Magpie.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Sunda Bulbul into Javan Bulbul and Sumatran Bulbul.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Visayan Shama from White-browed Shama.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Crocker Jungle Flycatcher from Rufous-tailed Jungle Flycatcher.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Yellow-crowned Flowerpecker Dicaeum anthonyi and Flame-crowned Flowerpecker Dicaeum kampalili.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Palawan Fairy-bluebird from Asian Fairy-bluebird.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Greyish-crowned Leafbird Chloropsis lazulina from Orange-bellied Leafbird Chloropsis hardwickii.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of monotypic Javan Leafbird Chloropsis cochinchinensis from Blue-winged Leafbird Chloropsis moluccensis.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Mindanao Serin from Indonesian (Mountain) Serin.

Start sharpening your pencils, folks!

Mar 27 Post accepted split of Dayak Blue Flycatcher from Javan Blue Flycatcher.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Island Collared Dove into Sunda Collared Dove and Philippine Collared Dove.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Banggai Scops Owl from Sulawesi Scops Owl.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Olive-brown Oriole into Timor Oriole and Wetar Oriole.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Paradise-crow into Halmahera Paradise-crow and Obi Paradise-crow.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Black Magpie into Malayan Black Magpie and Bornean Black Magpie.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Sunda Bulbul into Javan Bulbul and Sumatran Bulbul.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Visayan Shama from White-browed Shama.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Crocker Jungle Flycatcher from Rufous-tailed Jungle Flycatcher.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Yellow-crowned Flowerpecker Dicaeum anthonyi and Flame-crowned Flowerpecker Dicaeum kampalili.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Palawan Fairy-bluebird from Asian Fairy-bluebird.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Greyish-crowned Leafbird Chloropsis lazulina from Orange-bellied Leafbird Chloropsis hardwickii.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of monotypic Javan Leafbird Chloropsis cochinchinensis from Blue-winged Leafbird Chloropsis moluccensis.

Mar 27 Post proposed split of Mindanao Serin from Indonesian (Mountain) Serin.
5/14

Not mentioned in the diary, but the Proposed Splits/Lumps page includes a proposal to expand the Grallaria rufula complex from three species to sixteen. The papers are published and the SACC proposal (Prop. 883) has 8 out of 10 votes to accept so it's only a matter of time.

Anybody who was thinking of a project to see (or hear, more likely) all of the world's antpittas now has a lot more work to do.

Just three for me from that lot.

Who actually goes to Hainan?
I would have gone last year had it not been for you know what!

It was an optional extension on Birdquest's SE China tour.

Ian

PS the Grallaria rulula complex was posted in the IOC diary on Sept 3 - Post proposed split of Rufous Antpitta complex into multiple species.

From what I can gather with the Orange-bellied Leafbird split, it is Hainan and SE China (lazulina, melliana) vs Himalayas, foothills and Malay Peninsula (hardwickii, malayana). So maybe an extra one for you?

From what I can gather with the Orange-bellied Leafbird split, it is Hainan and SE China (lazulina, melliana) vs Himalayas, foothills and Malay Peninsula (hardwickii, malayana). So maybe an extra one for you?
Well, of the four stated races, lazulina is the only one I haven't seen......................

Well, of the four stated races, lazulina is the only one I haven't seen......................
In that case you are fine since melliana is included in the split. I also assume it's melliana which has colonized into Hong Kong around Tai Po Kau?

PS 11.2Greyish-crowned LeafbirdChloropsis lazulinaOrange-bellied LeafbirdChloropsis hardwickiiProposed split based on phylogenetic divergence and plumage differences. Includes ssp. melliana (HBW/BLI; Moltesen et al. 2012)

In that case you are fine since melliana is included in the split. I also assume it's melliana which has colonized into Hong Kong around Tai Po Kau?

PS 11.2Greyish-crowned LeafbirdChloropsis lazulinaOrange-bellied LeafbirdChloropsis hardwickiiProposed split based on phylogenetic divergence and plumage differences. Includes ssp. melliana (HBW/BLI; Moltesen et al. 2012)
Thanks Viator.

Yes, melliana is fairly easy to see in Hong Kong. Not just Tai Po Kau, but in most forest sites in the New Territories.
It also occurs in Vietnam and Laos, so if you've seen birds in these countries you may have seen the proposed split.

It's quite a popular destination for people interested in birding in China (although admittedly I haven't been yet). I don't really understand why it isn't on more birding itineraries, given that there are several endemic species and some good forest sites. Good transport links and beach resorts for non-birding companions too.
(Of course, travel there is trickier at the moment though)

Apr 4 Accept proposed split of Siberian House Martin from Common House Martin.

No doubt someone will be able to summarise the records of Siberian in the WP for us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back