• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (11 Viewers)

Wow, the most potential splits for ages, they have finally got round to looking at the New Guinea proposals as in the two recent field guides and HBW/BirdLife, and very pleased to see the Solomons boobooks being re-evaluated. Still waiting on Common (Mew) Gull though......

Wow, the most potential splits for ages, they have finally got round to looking at the New Guinea proposals as in the two recent field guides and HBW/BirdLife, and very pleased to see the Solomons boobooks being re-evaluated. Still waiting on Common (Mew) Gull though......
Mew Gull is with NACC

https://https://americanornithology.org/nacc/current-prior-proposals/2021-proposals/
.org/nacc/current-prior-proposals/2021-proposals/

Assuming if this (plus several others) pass then IOC will act upon them (?)

Mew Gull is with NACC

https://https://americanornithology.org/nacc/current-prior-proposals/2021-proposals/
.org/nacc/current-prior-proposals/2021-proposals/

Assuming if this (plus several others) pass then IOC will act upon them (?)
So brachyrhynchus is set to be split, becoming Short-billed Gull but, the IOC have to be independent to a degree don't they and they don't accept all proposals from all quarters?

I see that the NACC are proposing to lump Andean Duck with Ruddy Duck, just as I'm hoping to get that one on my list!

Last edited:
"Birds of subspecies S. c. chinensis (AOU 1957; PP examination), presumably from China, were brought to Hawaii sometime prior to 1855"
The Birds of the Hawaiian Islands:
Occurrence, History, Distribution, and Status
Version 2 - 1 January 2017
Robert L. Pyle and Peter Pyle
Birds of the World, states the original introduction was by Chinese immigrants for food. It does say there have also been later introductions including from a California game farm in 1961.

And yet more but still, zero additions for me!

Apr 17 Post proposed split of Malayan Bullfinch from Brown Bullfinch.

Where are these birds seen these days? Used to be at Fraser's Hill but now much tougher to see there and in Malaysia generally I believe. I've only seen it in Nepal.

Apr 17 Post proposed split of Stripe-breasted Seedeater from Reichard's Seedeater.

Apr 17 Post proposed split of monotypic Ishigaki Tit Parus nigriloris from Japanese Tit.

So brachyrhynchus is set to be split, becoming Short-billed Gull but, the IOC have to be independent to a degree don't they and they don't accept all proposals from all quarters?

I see that the NACC are proposing to lump Andean Duck with Ruddy Duck, just as I'm hoping to get that one on my list!
My sense is that going forward, IOC tries to stay consistent when adding new/subtracting birds with the relevant taxonomic authorities. They don't seem however inclined, unless there is a lot of new evidence, to revert decisions they already made on splits however. At the very least, they haven't re-lumped any of the splits that they recognize that NACC doesn't.

SACC already have these two lumped so it is a question of coming to agreement I believe. If the NACC refuses to lump (unlikely?), then I wonder if the SACC will look at it again?

Niels

SACC already have these two lumped so it is a question of coming to agreement I believe. If the NACC refuses to lump (unlikely?), then I wonder if the SACC will look at it again?

Niels
This is the fly in the ointment I believe.

(H&M 4; Fjeldså 1986; SACC; McCracken & Sorenson 2005) based on hybrid populations (andina) in Colombia.

Niels
They may as well throw Lake Duck in there too, almost identical.

And more ....

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Chinese Vivid Niltava from Taiwan Vivid Niltava. English names tentative.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Short-tailed Akalat from Bocage's Akalat.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Izu Robin from Japanese Robin.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Rusty-breasted Wheatear Oenanthe frenata from Buff-breasted (Red-breasted) Wheatear Oenanthe bottae).

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Black-throated Wheatear Oenanthe seebohmi from Northern Wheatear.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Black-breasted Sunbird Cinnyris idenburgi from Olive-backed Sunbird.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Yellow-chinned Sunbird from Grey-chinned Sunbird.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of monotypic Grand Cormoro Fody from Red-headed (Comoros) Fody.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Chestnut-and-black Weaver from Vieillot's Black Weaver.

Apr 18 Post proposed split of Upemba Masked Weaver from Katanga Masked Weaver.

Since the acceptance of Siberian House Martin I make it 112 proposed splits of which 24 would be new for me.

Very welcome of course but my percentage of the world's birds that I've seen will of course decrease.

Ian

So they split Seebohm's just a few weeks after I found out that I have mis-IDed it and actually don't have it :)
Is this a particularly difficult Id? I looked at some ancient slices with that species the other day- from Tunisia.
Niels

Sorry, I mixed up potential wheatear splits! The one I thought about was halophila from lugens (that's nowhere as easy to ID actually). This one I will have to check at home, as I have some Northern Wheatears from Western Sahara and I don't know if they are wintering nominates or Seebohm's.

Sorry, I mixed up potential wheatear splits! The one I thought about was halophila from lugens (that's nowhere as easy to ID actually). This one I will have to check at home, as I have some Northern Wheatears from Western Sahara and I don't know if they are wintering nominates or Seebohm's.
My notes from our trip, indicate that seebohm's was commonest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back