• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (6 Viewers)

My notes from our trip, indicate that seebohm's was commonest.

I heard that also from other people, but our trip was unusual - we were there in December and focused on Western Sahara. I think neither of the presumed Northern Wheatears (not that even that's easy in winter!) look like Seebohm's.

Is this a particularly difficult Id? I looked at some ancient slices with that species the other day- from Tunisia.
Niels
Niels, they really shouldn't put the 'c' and 'd' keys so close together - 'ancient slices' had me thinking about fossilised Phoenician cake having been found...
MJB

I believe at least one IOC committee member sometimes reads these threads, so on the off chance they read this, please don't use the idiotic name Black-throated Wheatear. Seebohm's has been in common usage for as long as I have been birding, it is not the only Oenanthe with a black throat in its range, and it does not have a black throat in all plumages.

Assume it's named after the mountains named after the man, rather than named after the man...
Ok thanks. As I have my own list (in French obviously), I need to guess the potential French name of the each recognised species. I think it should be similar to the English name..

I believe at least one IOC committee member sometimes reads these threads, so on the off chance they read this, please don't use the idiotic name Black-throated Wheatear. Seebohm's has been in common usage for as long as I have been birding, it is not the only Oenanthe with a black throat in its range, and it does not have a black throat in all plumages.
Probably driven by the obsession to wipe out eponyms?

Since the acceptance of Siberian House Martin I make it 112 proposed splits of which 24 would be new for me.

Very welcome of course but my percentage of the world's birds that I've seen will of course decrease.

Ian
I think if they split all of the proposed splits I'll go down to below 50% in one fell swoop. My lifelong ambition no longer achieved, and no plans to do much more traveling in the future. Oh well, easy come easy go 😩

One more split - this is one I've seen all 3

Apr 20 Post proposed splits of Malayan Black-capped Babbler Pellorneum nigrocapitatum and Bornean Black-capped Babbler P. capistratoides from Javan Black-capped (Rufous-browed) Babbler P. capistratum. English names under discussion.

One more split - this is one I've seen all 3

Apr 20 Post proposed splits of Malayan Black-capped Babbler Pellorneum nigrocapitatum and Bornean Black-capped Babbler P. capistratoides from Javan Black-capped (Rufous-browed) Babbler P. capistratum. English names under discussion.
Ditto and about time too (y)

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Vanuatu Streaked Fantail Rhipidura spilodera and Fiji Streaked Fantail Rhipidura layardi (including erythronota and rufilateralis) from New Caledonia Streaked Fantail Rhipidura verreauxi.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Guadalcanal Fantail Rhipidura ocularis from Brown (Bougainville) Fantail R. drownei.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Brown-tailed Apalis Apalis flavocincta (including viridiceps) from Yellow-breasted Apalis A. flavida.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Huambo Cisticola Cisticola bailunduensis from Rock-loving Cisticola Cisticola emini.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Snares Fernbird from New Zealand Fernbird.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Malagasy Plain Martin Riparia cowani from Brown-throated Martin Riparia paludicola. English name under discussion.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Angola (Green-crowned) Greenbul from White-throated Greenbul. English name under discussion.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Snow Mountain Tiger Parrot Psittacella lorentzi from Painted Tiger Parrot.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Reddish Myzomela Myzomela erythrina (including lavongai, cantans, vinacea) from Red Myzomela M. cruentata.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Biak (Red-brown) Myzomela Myzomela rubrobrunnea from Dusky Myzomela. English name under discussion.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Long-billed Myzomela Myzomela longirostris Red-collared Myzomela.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Rennell Gerygone Gerygone citrina from Fan-tailed Gerygone.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Comoros Blue Vanga Cyanolanius comorensis (including bensoni) from Madagascar Blue Vanga Cyanolanius madagascarinus.

anyone know why the proposed species split counts are so high this time around? Seems a pretty huge surge compared to recently.

anyone know why the proposed species split counts are so high this time around? Seems a pretty huge surge compared to recently.
I'd have a guess that a lot of this involved looking at skins so with lockdown, maybe some people had more time on their hands to dedicate to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back