• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

May 7 Accept split of split of monotypic Southern Sooty Woodpecker Mulleripicus fuliginosus from polytypic Northern Sooty Woodpecker.
With this split the unofficial IOC species count has reached 10,999. (That's provided I haven't missed any changes from the diary.) One more split to hit the 11,000 mark!

With this split the unofficial IOC species count has reached 10,999. (That's provided I haven't missed any changes from the diary.) One more split to hit the 11,000 mark!
And even further reducing the percentages of those that care about these things, you know who you are (Larry) ;)

But where does that leave Sierra Madre-Samar-Mindanao(?) Crow(s)?
We still have them listed as "Proposed Splits" from Slender-billed Crow. The split of Palawan Crow was fairly clear cut given its significant morphological and vocal differences from the others. These two subspecies, and those from se Asia and Indonesia, are less distinctive and require further consideration.

And even further reducing the percentages of those that care about these things, you know who you are (Larry) ;)
On the bright side, your raw life list numbers are at least going up? This is why I set my birding list goals to raw numbers rather than percentages :p

Unfortunately for me, SE Asia is just too far away. I have hardly scratched the surface of South America which is much closer.
Niels

And there it is, #11000:

May 8 Accept split of Sulu Jungle Flycatcher from Rufous-tailed Jungle Flycatcher.

Last edited:
Looks more like 'split Mountain Serin into Indonesian Serin + Mindanao Serin'

edit:
Montain SerinChrysocorythus estheraeIndonesian SerinChange English name from Mountain Serin to Indonesian Serin with the split of Chrysocorythus mindanensis.

May 10 Post split of Javan Leafbird Chloropsis cochinchinensis and Blue-winged Leafbird C. moluccensis.''

I assume this is an accepted split since it was previously proposed as a split on Mar 27

May 15 Accept split of Sunda Bulbul into Javan Bulbul and Sumatran Bulbul.

May 15 Accept split of split of Greyish-crowned Leafbird Chloropsis lazulina (including melliana) from Orange-bellied Leafbird Chloropsis hardwickii.

Looks more like 'split Mountain Serin into Indonesian Serin + Mindanao Serin'

edit:
Montain SerinChrysocorythus estheraeIndonesian SerinChange English name from Mountain Serin to Indonesian Serin with the split of Chrysocorythus mindanensis.
👍 Not a great English name anyway. Seen lots of serins up mountains all over Europe - never this species😆

Last edited:
May 17 Accept split of Olive-brown Oriole into Timor Oriole and Wetar Oriole.

May 17 Accept split of Obi Paradise-crow from Halmahera Paradise-crow.

May 17 Accept split of Black Magpie into Malayan Black Magpie and Bornean Black Magpie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back