• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

My database shows 11,072 species, which matches the data in the Version 11.2 spreadsheet. However I don't have an extant/extinct breakdown of that number.
My count gets 11072 species (124 extinct; 36 recently extinct) and 25983 recognised birds (species or subspecies).
Do you each have your own bird checklist? If so, I would like to see them

I don't keep my own list but I have some programs that parse csv files or web resources to create interactive treeview lists of various taxa.

The bird one uses a csv file saved from the IOC list and counts the species and subspecies to give the total number of recognised birds (total subspecies + monotypic species). I also check for † and †† to get the extinct species count. The counters matched the posted IOC numbers for 11.1 and match the total species for 11.2 (but with two extra extinct species).

I don't see any harm of posting a link here. I need to check the permissions and will remove it if there are objections. I've only updated to version 11.2 today and haven't checked it thoroughly.

IOC_Treeview

Last edited:
I don't keep my own list but I have some programs that parse csv files or web resources to create interactive treeview lists of various taxa.

The bird one uses a csv file saved from the IOC list and counts the species and subspecies to give the total number of recognised birds (total subspecies + monotypic species). I also check for † and †† to get the extinct species count. The counters matched the posted IOC numbers for 11.1 and match the total species for 11.2 (but with two extra extinct species).

I don't see any harm of posting a link here. I need to check the permissions and will remove it if there are objections. I've only updated to version 11.2 today and haven't checked it thoroughly.

IOC_Treeview

What do the species counts mean?

1626189661308.png

I have a database containing data for several taxonomies, both current and historical, dating back to 1983 for some authorities. IOC 11.2 is number 200 in my collection -- that might seem like a lot but it's small change compared to what Denis Lepage has on line at the Avibase site.

And no, it's not online, sorry.

I have a database containing data for several taxonomies, both current and historical, dating back to 1983 for some authorities. IOC 11.2 is number 200 in my collection -- that might seem like a lot but it's small change compared to what Denis Lepage has on line at the Avibase site.

And no, it's not online, sorry.
Even though it is not online this is the kind of work I would like to see to compare it with own list

On Taxonomy Updates, it says Padda and Mayrimunia are separated from Lonchura, but when I look in the list it says "Moved from Lonchura to Padda in Olsson & Alström (2020), but retained in Lonchura here, following Sorensen et al. (2004); Arnaez-Villena et al. (2009); Chesser et al. (2014).” The same for Mayrimunia. Which is correct, separated or not?

On Taxonomy Updates, it says Padda and Mayrimunia are separated from Lonchura, but when I look in the list it says "Moved from Lonchura to Padda in Olsson & Alström (2020), but retained in Lonchura here, following Sorensen et al. (2004); Arnaez-Villena et al. (2009); Chesser et al. (2014).” The same for Mayrimunia. Which is correct, separated or not?

Separated.

Perhaps you are looking at an older version of the IOC spreadsheet, perhaps IOC 11.1 or, perhaps the older BOW pages which haven't been updated to 11.2 in HTML format yet?

The new entry in the published 11.2 spreadsheet reads:

Padda Reichenbach, 1850 TAX, PHY Restore the genus Padda for two phenotypically distinctive species formerly included in Lonchura but which are in a small clade basal to typical Lonchura species (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Java Sparrow Estrildidae Padda oryzivora (Linnaeus, 1758) OR : Java TAX Move from Lonchura to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020; NACC 2021-C-6; Chesser et al. 2021), contra Sorensen et al. (2004); Arnaez-Villena et al. (2009); Chesser et al. (2014).

Timor Sparrow Estrildidae

Padda fuscata (Vieillot, 1807) AU : Lesser Sundas TAX Move from Lonchura to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Mayrimunia "Wolters, 1949" TAX, PHY Resurrect the genus Mayrimunia for two species in a small clade that is sister to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Streak-headed Mannikin Estrildidae Mayrimunia tristissima (Wallace, 1865) AU : New Guinea ENG, TAX Move from Lonchura to Mayrimunia (Olsson & Alström 2020). Change English name of L. tristissima to Streak-headed Mannikin (Gregory 2009).

White-spotted Mannikin Estrildidae Mayrimunia leucosticta (D'Albertis & Salvadori, 1879) AU : sc New Guinea ENG, TAX Move from Lonchura to Mayrimunia (Olsson & Alström 2020). Change English name of L. leucosticta to White-spotted Mannikin (Gregory 2009). Includes moresbyae which is of uncertain provenance and possibly of hybrid origin; treat as monotypic (Payne 2010; Beehler & Pratt 2016).

Separated.

Perhaps you are looking at an older version of the IOC spreadsheet, perhaps IOC 11.1 or, perhaps the older BOW pages which haven't been updated to 11.2 in HTML format yet?

The new entry in the published 11.2 spreadsheet reads:

Padda Reichenbach, 1850 TAX, PHY Restore the genus Padda for two phenotypically distinctive species formerly included in Lonchura but which are in a small clade basal to typical Lonchura species (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Java Sparrow Estrildidae Padda oryzivora (Linnaeus, 1758) OR : Java TAX Move from Lonchura to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020; NACC 2021-C-6; Chesser et al. 2021), contra Sorensen et al. (2004); Arnaez-Villena et al. (2009); Chesser et al. (2014).

Timor Sparrow Estrildidae

Padda fuscata (Vieillot, 1807) AU : Lesser Sundas TAX Move from Lonchura to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Mayrimunia "Wolters, 1949" TAX, PHY Resurrect the genus Mayrimunia for two species in a small clade that is sister to Padda (Olsson & Alström 2020).

Streak-headed Mannikin Estrildidae Mayrimunia tristissima (Wallace, 1865) AU : New Guinea ENG, TAX Move from Lonchura to Mayrimunia (Olsson & Alström 2020). Change English name of L. tristissima to Streak-headed Mannikin (Gregory 2009).

White-spotted Mannikin Estrildidae Mayrimunia leucosticta (D'Albertis & Salvadori, 1879) AU : sc New Guinea ENG, TAX Move from Lonchura to Mayrimunia (Olsson & Alström 2020). Change English name of L. leucosticta to White-spotted Mannikin (Gregory 2009). Includes moresbyae which is of uncertain provenance and possibly of hybrid origin; treat as monotypic (Payne 2010; Beehler & Pratt 2016).
You’re quite right, had both spreadsheets open and looked at the wrong one! Terribly sorry.

July 21 Post proposed split of Guadalcanal Thicketbird from Melanesian (Santo) Thicketbird.

July 21 Restore Angolan Cave Chat to Xenocopsychus from Cossypha. Placed in Cossypha in error.

July 21 Change English names of Black-faced Friarbird and Flame-breasted Flowerpecker to Buru Friarbird and Buru Flowerpecker.

July 22 Change English name of Kessler's Thrush to White-backed Thrush to align with other major checklists.

July 22 Accept split of Sangihe Lilac Kingfisher from (Sulawesi) Lilac Kingfisher.

The Proposed splits and lumps page of the IOC website has a number of “Birdlife / HBW splits” greyed out under version 11.2. Therefore presumably reviewed but not accepted, but with no “stet” or “further research required” type comment

The Proposed splits and lumps page of the IOC website has a number of “Birdlife / HBW splits” greyed out under version 11.2. Therefore presumably reviewed but not accepted, but with no “stet” or “further research required” type comment
The grey background applied to any taxon originally listed as a "PS" on the IOC website should not be construed to mean that the taxon is permanently deleted for consideration. It is only removed from the list for active consideration. Any of these taxa could or would be restored for consideration if new material comes to light.

The grey background applied to any taxon originally listed as a "PS" on the IOC website should not be construed to mean that the taxon is permanently deleted for consideration. It is only removed from the list for active consideration. Any of these taxa could or would be restored for consideration if new material comes to light.
Understood. Thanks for this clarification of what I took to be the case but wasn’t 100% sure of. On to the next round...

I think that was a change from 10.2 to 11.1. Meropidae got moved from the jacamar BOW page to the todies BOW page. The family list page
still uses the 10.2 sequence. Mohouidae, Neosittidae and a few other families don't link to the correct BOW page.

Last edited:
This may not be related any recent change, but in the Family Index page of the IOC website, clicking "Meropidae" takes you to "Jacamars, puffbirds, toucans, barbets, honeyguides", instead of "Todies, motmots, bee-eaters".
Yes, the Family Index page has not been updated. Further, we are finding that maintaining the BOW pages for each update is becoming a burden. This will become particularly so for IOC 12.1 since we plan to completely revise the passerine family sequence to follow recently published phylogenies for that order.

So, this is a good opportunity to hear from Bird Forum participants if it is even desirable for the IOC World Bird List to continue to maintain the BOW pages or, if in the future, it will be sufficient for us to simply provide access to the spreadsheets.

Please weigh in!

Thanks.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back