• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (6 Viewers)

As for Diary listings...it's typically not our practice to post every update we make in the Diary. We generally reserve those Diary announcements for Proposed Splits and Lumps, Taxonomic Updates and Species Updates. It's always a good idea to visit our Updates pages regularly to see what's happening also on the English name and subspecies fronts.
On that topic, I notice that there is an error on the subspecies page. The "notes and sources" comment for Crowned Lapwing is a copy of the Nubian Nightjar entry.

Actually, by the rules we've established for constructing English names, Cuckoo-roller is the correct format. See English Names>Spelling Rules on the IOC WBL website. Here's an excerpt from the relevant rule:
  • Where both nouns are the names of birds or bird families a hyphen should be inserted to signify that the taxon belongs to the family of the second word, not the first (e.g., Eagle-Owl).
  • If a name is of a taxon that is not a member of the stated bird family, the letter after the hyphen should be lowercase to clarify that status (e.g., Flycatcher-shrike).
Since Cuckoo-roller isn't a roller, the second component of the name is properly in lower case.

As for Diary listings...it's typically not our practice to post every update we make in the Diary. We generally reserve those Diary announcements for Proposed Splits and Lumps, Taxonomic Updates and Species Updates. It's always a good idea to visit our Updates pages regularly to see what's happening also on the English name and subspecies fronts.
I was mostly being flippant and I really don't want to open the hyphens can of worms, it just looks weird/amusing to me when the second part of a hyphenated name is both a noun and a verb.

Seems a rather nothing change, but could be part of the checklist alignment.

BOW uses Crested tit and Gray-crested tit.
Birdlife uses Crested tit and Grey-crested tit.
H&M uses Crested tit and Fulvous tit

Age of divergence based on Alstrom et al (2011) and vocal distinctions.
Checking the songs in Cornell, the 3 stubtails sound like they are likely rather closely related. Neumann's sounds completely different. Pale-footed BW sounds recognisably like a speeded-up Horonis, which is also not surprising based on morphology. On that basis I would want to look again at the DNA results and perhaps re-sequence them, rather than renaming the bird based on this study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back