Latest Lynx releases (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Fractious Member of ill repute
England
Disappointed to note that The Mammals of China, a European publication on the Mammals of Asia, opts for the Americanised 'Gray', throughout.

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

Fractious Member of ill repute
England
Larger US market compared to UK/Australia/etc?

No idea, more and more common for Europeans to use American spellings. I think some, genuinely do not realise there is a difference and it's becoming commoner for kids in ther UK to make the same error.

Go to www.lynxeds.info and use code CHINA920 for a checklist download.

Mysticete

United States
well, if it makes you feel better, I regularly interchange spellings, so at least some Americans do the same thing.

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Argentina
I actually generally find British spelling more elegant, with few exceptions. I generally don't use it, though, as I feel it makes a non-Brit look a bit of a poser. That aside, though, at this point "American" english has effectively become "international" english, for better or for worse. So it's not surprising that international projects or things that target international audiences increasingly use "international" spelling. I've seen it in other areas as well. Being a Spanish company, I don't see that they have any particular reason to use British english, and it doesn't really effect my life in the least, but I am generally not a fan of loss of character / loss of diversity in languages.

Users who are viewing this thread