• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Latest Lynx releases (2 Viewers)

kb57

Europe
You are listing quite a number of features that would most likely keep me from buying the particular product. I have never seriously considered to use Apple products because I just can't get over the way they are (or more importantly used to) patronize customers. That includes, naturally, excluding competitors, thus allowing to keep prices artificially high. For a while, I loved their designs though. Meanwhile things are all look-alikes anyway.
Off topic I know, but I shared your dislike of Apple's walled garden principle. However Windows leaves me increasingly frustrated - I love the way that Apple computers can do simple things like switching themselves on and off within a reasonable timescale.

kb57

Europe
Illustrations look great, presumably this is essentially an update on Hilty & Brown? What do the QR codes do?
Sorry, I should've looked upthread - I just checked for myself with the phone and computer screen, and see it brings up the eBird entry for the species...

Melanie

So the interesting thing is if it is better than Swash and Still (which also has reptiles)?
Niels
Swash and Still is a photo guide. With Birds and Mammals of the Galapagos you have the same quality as with the other Lynx field guides. That means a short species entry, an illustration, and the QR code. Lynx has of course the HBW/HMW taxonomy that means you probably won't have the Least Vermillion Flycatcher in Swash and Still. And according to the reptiles I think it might be better to buy a book about the Galapagos tortoise or the Land iguanas.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
It is correct Swash and Still does not have the latest taxonomy, including a couple of splits of the finches. When I visited Galapagos, those were not yet made, and in all other ways, the Swash and Still guide was excellent.

Niels

Melanie

I don't know whether this is an error, but Nesoryzomys narboroughi is listed as VU in the IUCN Red List (or in the HMW Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World) and not as CR like in this book.

Mysticete

United States
Swash and Still is a photo guide. With Birds and Mammals of the Galapagos you have the same quality as with the other Lynx field guides. That means a short species entry, an illustration, and the QR code. Lynx has of course the HBW/HMW taxonomy that means you probably won't have the Least Vermillion Flycatcher in Swash and Still. And according to the reptiles I think it might be better to buy a book about the Galapagos tortoise or the Land iguanas.
It's probably not the tortoise or iguanas you need guides for though, it's all the smaller herps like lava lizards, racers, and so forth

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Returning to this: I need proof that the new guide is as good as the photo guide to separate the finches. Hint: the only thing that matters is the bill.

Niels

Andy Adcock

England
Colombia arrived yesterday, a much needed upgrade in terms of illustrations at least, not had a proper chance to have a look yet.

kb57

Europe
My copy of Hilty arrived today from NHBS, my first Lynx guide. Very impressive book - illustrations a bit more 'lifelike' and less stylised than Ayerbe Quinones, as well as being larger and including written ID information. The tradeoff is of course being larger and heavier.
I wish I'd had either of these books in Colombia a couple of years ago, but the Lynx guide is the one for armchair dreaming of a future return.

Users who are viewing this thread