• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest Lynx releases (1 Viewer)

Disappointed to note that The Mammals of China, a European publication on the Mammals of Asia, opts for the Americanised 'Gray', throughout.

Last edited:
well, if it makes you feel better, I regularly interchange spellings, so at least some Americans do the same thing.

I actually generally find British spelling more elegant, with few exceptions. I generally don't use it, though, as I feel it makes a non-Brit look a bit of a poser. That aside, though, at this point "American" english has effectively become "international" english, for better or for worse. So it's not surprising that international projects or things that target international audiences increasingly use "international" spelling. I've seen it in other areas as well. Being a Spanish company, I don't see that they have any particular reason to use British english, and it doesn't really effect my life in the least, but I am generally not a fan of loss of character / loss of diversity in languages.

Has anyone in the USA that ordered All the Birds of the World actually gotten it yet? I ordered it in September and have yet to see it.

A 2nd edition of Indonesia already?

A much sexier cover shot though!

While I agree about the "sexier" look of the cover (in fact, I think it is a stunner), I also think it is a cheater! There is that one rare Bird-of-paradise that occurs in a fraction of the area that the book tries to impress with. It is hardly representative for the whole area, though.

While I agree about the "sexier" look of the cover (in fact, I think it is a stunner), I also think it is a cheater! There is that one rare Bird-of-paradise that occurs in a fraction of the area that the book tries to impress with. It is hardly representative for the whole area, though.
There is another one Robert but it's a bit less impressive as the name suggests, Paradise Crow Lycocorax pyrrhopterus

With the new edition in preparation - https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-the-indonesian-archipelago-2/ - and due soon, the old one might be less attractive. I'm certainly keen for the new edition but one thing catches my eye, under product details it lists "Product Format: Hardback" which I hope is not the only offering. Hardback books in the field get destroyed, a plasticized soft cover is vastly preferable, and the hard cover is my only real complaint with otherwise excellent the first edition! I carried mine around Malaysia/Indonesia for 2 months and it is in wretched condition.

I tried to have a look but the site is down

'Error establishing a database connection'​

The only change I can see that's mentioned in the new edition are 'improved' range maps, surely there must be more to it?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back