• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lazza's 2015 list (1 Viewer)

On the way back from the airport after my trip to Germany, I called in at Prestwick Carr for half an hour. But it was enough time to see a magnificent:

89. Short-eared owl

which put up a couple of

90. Snipe

Also, a pair of roe deer [5] on distant fields.

Last edited:
Out with my two girls in Choppington Woods on 1st March, where there were several signs of Spring, including lots of frog spawn and plenty of frogs {1}, and plenty of territorial displaying among the birdlife. Also, over neighbouring farmland, 2015's first singing:

91. Skylark

Finally, this weekend, a long ride out on my bike on Saturday, up to Amble and then back down the coast calling in at a few of the reserves along the way. Also a lot of mammals about with rabbits seen in many places, a startled brown hare in a lane near Tritlington, two good sightings of stoats [6] at Maiden's Hall lake and Druridge bay, the latter animal carrying a squealing field vole[7] along the coastal path!

As for birdlife, there was lots to see too. In Amble, the harbour was full of a-oo-ing eider, and there were plenty of curlew and oystercatcher. On the rocks near the harbour mouth was my first:

92. Rock pipit

of the year, while the grassland south of the town held lots of gulls, oystercatchers and a couple of linnet.

On the beach at Low Hauxley, I added:

93. Ringed plover

Low Hauxley reserve itself was also quite productive, with plenty of greylag and Canada goose, along with a good mix of waders (including a pair of bar-tailed godwit) and ducks (lots of gadwall, tufties, goldeneye, wigeon and teal).

At East Chevington, the northern "woodland" hide didn't produce the hoped-for redpoll, and not much was visible into the sun (mute swans and goldeneye). Moving around to the waterside hide on the east side of the lake was slightly more productive, with good views of more goldeneye, coots and gulls, and after almost giving up, I finally located the:

94. Red-necked grebe - my 100th species for 2015 (as it was in 2014, bizarrely!)

Finally, heading along the coastal path past Druridge pools, I finally found my first:

95. Stonechat

- first a female on low bushes, followed soon afterwards by a male on a fence post.

Last edited:
On a "quick" diversion during an early drive over to Liverpool this week, I stopped at Campfield Marsh RSPB reserve on the Solway estuary with geese in mind! The reserve was deserted and the visitor centre closed, but there was plenty of bird life about (including car-park feeders with dozens of tree sparrow and chaffinch), with plenty of ducks on the pools.

On the most distant pool, from the hide:

96. Pintail

By the feeders at the car park:

97. Stock dove

But no geese at the reserve. However, a drive further out along the estuary soon gave me my target species, as there were three

98. Barnacle goose

in a field full of pinkfooted geese. Further flocks of both species were seen in fields and flying over the estuary, with very large numbers of barnacle geese at Anthorn.

I somehow seem to have missed a species from my count, seen all the way back in February in Newbiggin. So as not to have to re-number everything, I'll add it here:

99. Mediterranean gull

The significance of this being the following takes me to my UK 100 by 19 March....oddly enough, exactly the same species as last year, but 2 days earlier (and even more strangely, my overall 100th species of 2014 and 2015 was the same)!!

Yesterday gave me my first summer migrant on the list for 2015. After a trip into Morpeth, and a rather delightful interlude watching the kingfisher and grey wagtail by the blue footbridge, I headed back home up the track past Allery banks allotments, to hear my first

100. Chiffchaff

of the year :)

Last edited:
Out to Spain for our annual Easter visit to the in-laws' house near Alicante, and this time, for two whole weeks, although I will be working for part of it. Nevertheless, on our arrival day, I managed an hour out on my bike around the local irrigation canals and farm tracks, surrounding the Urbanizacion, and together with several other obeservations, it was a good start to 2015's Spain list:

Driving from the airport along the N332, near El Altet:

1. Spotless starling*
2. Jackdaw

And then as we drove between the Salinas lagoons of Santa Pola:

3. Greater flamingo*
4. Little egret
5. Pochard
6. Slender-billed gull*
7. Yellow-legged gull
8. Black-winged stilt*
9. Avocet*

As we drove by La Marina:

10. Collared dove

ANd on reaching La Marina Urb, from the in-laws' garden

11. House sparrow
12. Serin*
13. Goldfinch
14. Pallid swift* (clearest views I think I've ever had!)
15. White wagtail

The verde across the road from their house has really matured in the last 2 years, and it is now thriving with singing serin and goldfinch, which is a nice soundscape to have sitting out on the veranda!

Out on my bike late afternoon, and as I headed along the edge of the Urb:

16. Tree sparrow (only my 2nd time seeing this species in Spain, but a good flock of 15-20 birds)
17. Greenfinch
18. Blackbird
19. Southern grey shrike*

Then along the irrigation canals south of the Urb:

20. Crested lark* (lots!)
21. Corn bunting*
22. Zitting cisticola*
23. Hoopoe*
24. Sardinian Warbler*
25. Grey heron

Before reaching the mouth of the Rio Segura, where I added:

26. Black redstart
27. Barn swallow
28. Common swift
29. Audouin's gull*
30. Coot

....and an enormous snake, which slithered across the track in front of me (Montpellier's snake?)

Finally, at lunch-time today, a brief ride around the local canals also added:

31. Moorhen
32. Great tit
33. Iberian Green Woodpecker*

* 15 species not on any previous/higher list

Last edited:
Another short ride on the bike yesterday evening around some of the local scrub, adding:

34. Magpie

35. Feral pigeon
36. Cuckoo* (heard)
37. Red-rumped swallow*

* 2 not on earlier list

Up at sunrise for a ride out to El Pinet salinas, which proved quite pleasant. As I left home, I added my first species of the day as a single:

38. cormorant

flew over the nearby canals

At El Pinet, the beach was devoid of birdlife, while a couple of YL gulls flew in from offshore. On the salinas, there were plenty of avocet, while the sky was filled with

39. Common tern

On the pools and islands were

40. Sandwich tern*
41. Kentish plover*
42. Shelduck
43. Dunlin
44. Sanderling

A fly-by of a pair of

45. Garganey*

was new for Spain, while a small group of warblers in the bushes next to the hide included chiffchaff and

46. Willow warbler*

Heading home via Vistabella road, there were a pair of

47. Mallard

On the small roadside pond, while several

48. Reed warbler*

sang from the reeds along the canals.

Finally, on the tracks back to the Urb, an eerie ca-loo-loo alerted me to a

49. Stone curlew*

and at the end of the track, a roost of little egret also contained

50. Black-crowned night heron*
51. Cattle egret*

* 8 species not on a previous list

Last edited:
Another early outing on the bike today, this time taking in the El Hondo hides along Vistabella road, the camino to the west of El Hondo reserve, and the roads from Catral to San Fulgencio.

The first stop at El Hondo added

52. Little grebe
53. Red-headed pochard
54. White-headed duck*

while anothe nice male garganey was good to find, and a

55. Marsh harrier*

soared in the distance, and several

56. Purple swamphen*

could be heard (only 1 seen, scampering into the reeds at the 3rd hide).

57. Black-headed gull
58. Great-crested grebe
59. Black-necked grebe*

completed the species seen from the hides, while along Vistabella road, a

60. Glossy ibis*

was seen, and a

61. Cetti's warbler*

heard.

On the road to Catral, another skulking stone curlew was noted, while a small clump of reeds held a single, male

62. Blackcap

In Catral itself, it was nice to find nesting

63. House martin

* 6 species not on a previous list

Last edited:
An evening ride along the Rio Segura didn't give the target species, but I did get good views of a surprise species, as a

64. Little bittern*

was flushed by a fisherman.

Then, this morning, I could hardly keep up, as new species came thick and fast on a ride out to El Hondo. First, on the tracks from the Urb to El Hondo, several

65. Green sandpiper

Lifted from the channels as I cycled by, and as I stopped to watch some reed warblers, I heard the lovely chup-cha-chup of a

66. Quail* - new for Spain

before a

67. Stonechat

alighted nearby.

But better was to come, as I arrived at the first hide at El Hondo (near the visitor centre) I finally added my bogey bird. Five years visiting this reserve Spring and Summer, and I finally saw my first (four)

68. Marbled duck*

Woohoo! The year's first lifer.

From the other hide:

69. Mediterranean gull
70. Redshank
71. Common sandpiper

And as I left the hide:

72. Whinchat

Finally, on the new lagoon beneath the boardwalk there were a couple of

73. Wood sandpiper*

Heading home along the camino tracks past Catral and Dolores, I also added

74. Kestrel

4 species* not on a previous list

Last edited:
A day at the beach (Playa El Pinet) with the family, but the cold winds coming off the sea forced us into the more sheltered dunes, which were remarkably warm in comparison. A couple of competing cuckoos were calling, and lots of Sardninian warblers darted around the scrub. And as we left, a pair of

75. Long-tailed tit

flitted through.

The, out yesterday late afternoon to try to get some photos of the egret roost nearby, but it was devoid of egrets! The night heron was still there, so I managed a couple of distant, blurry pictures of it. But as I watched it disappear over the reeds, a raptor heading over caught my attention:

76. Osprey* - new for Spain

Watched it for fully 20 minutes as it hovered and soared over the "corner pool" at the edge of the Urbanizacion on the track to Vistabella road

As it too disappeared, I headed on down the track, flushing a pair of

77. Red-legged partridge

Then heading down Vistabella road, a distant

78. Great white egret*

could be seen flying along the reeds in the El Hondo reserve. With only a short time available, I headed to the middle hide, where several flamingos were quite close to the hide, all three grebe species were feeding, and the great egret could be seen on the far side of the pool. And among the barn swallows and house martin feeding low over the water, were a couple of

79. Sand martin - new for Spain

* two species not on a previous list

Last edited:
Last day in Spain this trip yesterday, so made a final effort to get out on my bike early and get some more miles under my belt. And made another stop at the El Pinet salinas. Nothing new to see from the hide, but a new route took me into the salinas from the west along a dirt track, which was rewarded with good close views of some territorial fighting from a couple of male

80. Subalpine warbler*

The reed beds of the Rio Vinapolo weren't too interesting as the water level was high, and fast-flowing. But another species was added on the road to Dolores:

81. Woodchat shrike*

And finally, near the egret roost on the track between El Hondo and the Urb:

82. Great reed warbler*

- heard singing and croaking at full volume.

* 3 species not on a previous list

Back home, and a planned cycle out to the coast yesterday was cut short by a puncture, but not before having a quick look at Bothal Pond, where there were a good 25+

101. Sand martin

Plus, unbelievably, my first UK

102. Great crested grebe

of 2015.

But the big surprise was yet to come. As I walked back home from the park in the afternoon, a large raptor flew over us, quite low, before circling and banking over our house and then drifting off South....

103. Red kite

New for the garden(!) and even for Northumberland for me.

Out into Morpeth yesterday, I cycled in via the plantation along Dunces Houses Lane (aka warbler alley, for me!) and it didn't disappoint. At least two singing

104. Blackcap

one seen briefly, and two or three singing

105. Willow warbler

one seen very well, and a second briefly, in addition to at least 6 singing chiffchaff.

Two roe deer also wandered across the path no more than 20m ahead of me, stopping me and a pair of dog-walkers coming the other way in our tracks! Good to see a lovely comma butterfly and several small tortoiseshell out in the sun shine on the butterbur, too.

Another summer visitor ticked, with my first (and second)

106. Swallow

of the year seen at Sizergh Castle and Kirkby Stephen

A diversion coming home from the northwest through Teesdale also added

107. Black grouse
108. Red grouse

both seen easily from the road.

And another summer arrival:

109. Wheatear

Not a great deal of time the last week, but added another species to the UK list this morning, when a couple of

110. House martin

turned up on the estate.

Also, a new mammal for the list last night when I drove out to Winter's Gibbet for some aurora watching, and as well as a fair few roe deer and lots of rabbits, I saw my first badger [8] of the year, a pair scampering across the road at Throphill.

Last edited:
At last, a chance to get out yesterday evening, so rode out to Newbiggin for a short sea-watch. No divers, which I'd hoped for, but a few species passing out to sea:

111. Kittiwake
112. Sandwich tern
113. Gannet

...as well as a very brutal scene in which a herring gull harried a small brown bird into the water before devouring it whole.

Then, on the way home, a brief stop at Bothal pond revealed four

114. Avocet

...much to my surprise!

Long cycle ride up to Harwood forest on Saturday, starting off in rain and ending in warm Spring sunshine. Two out of three target species seen, but as last year, no sign of any crossbill.

115. Redstart

- at least two pairs around between Harwood gate and Harwood forest, which was nice to see. Then at the forest itself:

116. Siskin (dozens!)
117. Lesser redpoll

I fancy I may have heard my first sedge warbler of the year too, as I cycled up towards Netherwitton, but didn't stop to listen longer. But I did add another mammal to the list at Longwitton, as I was surprised (and disappointed) to see a grey squirrel [9] there.

One more to add, from a weekend away in North Yorkshire, staying in yurts at Newburgh Priory, Coxwold, not far from Thirsk:

118. Tawny Owl

....a couple of competing birds keeping us awake both nights!!

Lots to update on....

Out with the girls a couple of weeks ago (10th May) and walking across the fields east of Morpeth town centre, near the sewage plant, I saw the year's first (UK)

119. Common swift

A couple of days later on 12th May, I cycled by Bothal Pond, where two male

120. Common whitethroat

were competing from the hedgerows.

Then last week, a ride out to the reserves on the coast proved quite fruitful, adding

121. Wood sandpiper
122. Garganey

at Druridge Bay, and

123. Reed warbler
124. Sedge warbler

at Cresswell Pond, and finally, as I cycled down the hill towards Sheepwash Bridge, I heard the year's first

125. Grasshopper warbler

Last edited:
Somehow managed to miss out my list updates in March for Switzerland and France, and as I was there again this last week, here's a full update on both:

Firstly, in Switzerland in March:

A wander along the edge of Lake Geneva during a stay in Montreux (26/27 March) added:

18. Chiffchaff - new for Switzerland
19. Greenfinch
20. Mallard
21. Chaffinch
22. Blackcap
23. Blue tit
24. Dipper
25. Black redstart*
26. Woodpigeon
27. Coal tit

While in Villeneuve, I saw the year's first

28. Black kite*

Then at the factory in Evionnaz:

29. White wagtail
30. Song thrush
31. Magpie

And in Martigny

32. Collared dove

Finally, heading over the Pas de Morgins, flying from Switzerland into France(!)

33. Bullfinch - new for Switzerland

* two species not on any previous/higher list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back