• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lazza's list (1 Viewer)

An early evening ride out along the Wansbeck gave plenty of birdlife, but only one new species for 2012:

137 Common Sandpiper

Four on Castle Island (although one may have been a green sandpiper)

Drove up to Cresswell with my bike for a ride along the coast, aiming to call in at as many ponds and pools as possible! Quite variable numbers of birds around. A lot out on the sea initially, with several red-breasted merganser out on the surf with a few eider and, I think, a pair of razorbill.

But the first new bird for 2012 - and a long awaited and welcome addition to the list - was:

138 Barn Owl

First one was over the dunes near the parking area for Cresswell pond, and then, as usual, once you've seen one, along comes another - the second circling and gliding over the grass and reeds to the south of East Chevington pond.

Creswell Pond also held significant numbers of whimbrel and curlew as well as the 2+4 avocet, 5 snipe and several redshank. Also, a yellow wagtail on the farm buildings nearby

Nothing much on Druridge Bay pools, but I'm pretty sure I heard a Tawny Owl twit-twoo-ing as I headed on up to East Chevington, and there were a lot of Stonechat in the bushes and shurbs along the paths (and a lot of swallows and house martins taking advantage of the clouds of insects which I was swallowing a fair number of too...)

At East Chevington, there was a decent flock of greylag on the pool, and one or two sandwich tern and common tern and a single great black-backed gull among the black-headed gulls. And in addition to the Barn Owl mentioned above, a brief view of a female marsh harrier hunting, but which never reappeared after diving down into the reeds.

Back to Creswell, and another scan of the beach revealed the arrival of a good number of waders: a few turnstone, 20-30 sanderling, 10-15 dunlin, 3 oystercatcher, and several

139 Ringed Plover

All in all, a good potter along the coast :)

A very wet cycle around Kielder Water on Sunday was more productive than expected. In addition to lots of goldcrest, chaffinch and willow warbler, I added a lifer to my list:

140 Spotted Flycatcher

In my bird book, I had it noted as a possible sighting (in Backworth of all places, in 2007), but this was my firs confirmed sighting.

The water was pretty quiet, but 6 goosander were a highlight, and a single female mandarin duck was the first I've seen in Northumberland

Second lifer of the week, and this one of the more unusual variety. Following posts on this forum over the last couple of days, I decided to head up to Low Newton on an extended lunch break today, and for the first time ever, I successfully twitched a real rarity (my record of trying to see some of the rarer local birds is appalling!)

141 Stilt Sandpiper

Just realised this takes my world list to 396, so 4 more to reach 400! Off to Spain later this week, so wonder what will they be?!

Two scorching weeks in Spain, staying in La Marina, near Elche/Elx (about 30km south of Alicante on the Costa Blanca). The focus was very much on rest and relaxation, with lots of trips to the beach and pool, but also managed a few bird-trips out on my bike to some great sites.

This added 6 lifers, 17 birds to my Spain list, and 14 new species to the 2012 list!

My first trip out was an early morning cycle ride around the local Urbanizacion and between several local villages, which turned up plenty of birds including hoopoe, house martin, common swift, and 3 new additions to the 2012 Spain list:

44 Southern grey shrike*
45 Red-legged partridge (new for my overall Spain list)
46 Cattle egret*

in the fields around San Fulgencio, and also, around Urbaznizacion La Marina, several groups of serin and collared doves, together with:

47 Magpie (also new for my overall Spain list!)

A couple of days later, I made my first proper trip out for birding, riding over to El Hondo (El Fondo) nature reserve. On the ride over, along dirt tracks following the many canals that criss-cross the farmland, I watched a flock of around 25 or 30

48 Bee-eater*

making feeding flights from an electricity pylon. There was also a mid-sized raptor perched at the very top of a dead palm-tree trunk, which had a very rufous breast, but I couldn't get a clear enough view to identify it (the closest species I can find is a red-footed falcon, although this seems rather unlikley for the region in summer).

And although many of the species present at El Hondo were the same as at Easter - flamingo, black-winged stilt, coot, pochard, great-crested and black-necked grebe - I also had my first lifer of the trip:

49 Little Bittern*

A really beautiful black, white and orange-yellow bird that perched at the top of large reeds on an island in front of the hide. To this was also added:

50 Reed warbler - new for Spain
51 Common sandpiper
52 Ringed plover - new for Spain

On the way back, I also added another surprising species to my Spain list:

53 Carrion crow

The next morning, in the hope of identifying the mystery raptor, I headed back along some of the nearby farm and canal tracks, but without success. However, I did add several new birds, including two new brids to my Spain life list:

54 Glossy ibis* - new for Spain
55 Tree sparrow - new for Spain
56 Yellow-legged gull
57 Rock dove

And on the way to Dolores:

58 Crested lark*

Further cycle rides around La Marina over the next few days also added

59 Redshank
60 Roller*

and a second lifer for the trip:

61 Water pipit*

Having stuck to the in-land waterways and wetlands, I next headed out to the coast, to El Pinet salinas, adding:

62 Common tern - new for Spain
63 Kentish Plover*
64 Turnstone - new for Spain

and yet another lifer:

65 Curlew sandpiper*

- four of which made a brief appearance on one of the salinas fringes before heading over the hide towards the sea.

A second trip to El Hondo also added more species, with the discovery of the "bella vista" road hides (although one of these only looked out over a baked mud-flat!)

66 Black-tailed godwit - new for Spain
67 Shoveler - new for Spain
68 Purple heron*

and from the hides near the visitor centre another lifer:

69 Purple swamphen* - the 400th bird on my life list!

The final two new species came on a cycle over to the Lagunas of La Mata and Torrevieja, which were surprisingly lacking in water birds, but did result in two further lifers:

70 Thekla lark*
71 Pallid swift*

* of which 14 were not on any other list in 2012

Last edited:
A diversion to Cresswell Pond while picking up a repaired bike wheel from Bedlington(!) showed that migration is well underway, with a sudden influx of ducks and waders. The reported Garganey wasn't visible however, and I left with no new species for the 2012 list....

until I got to my car, when I spotted what I thought was a sparrowhawk, only for it to turn out to be a

142 Cuckoo

Unbelievably, that's a lifer for me, as I have previously only ever heard a cuckoo before (and the last of those was rather a long time ago!). Seems very late for a cuckoo to still be around, but it has been reported in the last few days in the area, and was verified by another birder heading towards the hide. :)

At last, the first September addition. A trip to Cresswell pond via Bothal gave me

143 Great skua

Which also happened to be a lifer! So edging slowly towards 200 species for the year, this being 187 across 7 countries!

Cresswell also held a lot of other life with several curlew, a bar-tailed godwit, a whimbrel, lots of dunlin and snipe, and a large influx of autumn/winter ducks (teal, gadwall, wigeon, pochard). And although far fewer birds altogether, a juvenile ruff (with 4 redshank and dozens of coot) at Bothal was a nice addition.

A trip to Sweden for work left very little spare tIme to visit any good places for birds, but still managed a lifer, and a few more birds added to the Sweden list!

At Arlanda airport, there were a lot of

14 House martin
15 White wagtail

enjoying a feast of mozzies!

Then, on the drive down to Södertälje, a lifer: a small flock of about twenty

16 Barnacle geese

in a field by the motorway near Salem.

Once in Södertälje, I had an hour to spare so had a wander around the lake and into the nearby woods, adding:

17 Black-headed gull
18 Chaffinch
19 Nuthatch

And later, while waiting for a train at Ostertalje station, there was a very active flock of

20 Tree sparrow

in the bushes.

Back at Arlanda airport, with 3 hours to wait until my flight, I went for a wander and found a small wood and river to the north east of the airport, which was teeming with birds, mostly great tit, a few chaffinch, and a GS woodpecker, but also several

21 Goldcrest
22 Goldfinch

There were also a couple of LBJs I couldn't identify as I didn't have my binoculars (possibly redpoll of some type) and very loudly calling bird - chu-chu-chu-chu-chu - which I think came from a rather plump, brownish-pink, bull-finch sized bird and may possibly have been a Wryneck (but not at all sure).

Last edited:
What a weekend! 5 birds added, of which 4 were lifers!!

Headed to St Mary's lighthouse with the kids on Saturday for a day of rockpool searching and a walk up the 137 steps.

My suspicions were aroused as we walked from the car park by the Seaton arms, as several people passed with scopes, but with 2 four year olds in tow I wasn't expecting much! The rocks and beach by the causeway had plenty of small waders: 15-20 sanderling, 4 dunlin and 8-10 ringed plover, with a few oystercatcher, turnstone and redshank.

On the way over the causeway, I asked two people with scopes what was around and they mentioned that a yellow browed warbler was in the trees by the reserve. However, with lunch time looming, I knew we would have to wait for that!

A couple of hours on the rocks eating lunch, dabbling in the rockpools and taking turns with the binoculars was great, all in beautiful sunshine too! And it also gave me my first lifer:

144 Brent goose

Also, a couple of (common?) tern over the sea, one in winter garb, with its dark glasses on, the other still in summer plumage.

After a whizz up and down the lighthouse, we headed back across the causeway and went investigating the rarity (although one of my girls did say "Daddy, when you come out with us, you can't just stare through your binocliers all day..." :-O

And after just 5 minutes in the willows north of the small reserve, we (all 3 of us!) got good views of

145 Yellow-browed warbler - 2nd lifer
146 Pied flycatcher - 3rd lifer!

Then on Sunday, I headed out to Cresswell on my bike, which was rather devoid of waders (just a few snipe and redshank) but was swamped with wildfowl, including teal, gadwall, mallard, shoveler and wigeon; mute and whooper swan (the first whooper of this autumn); and Canada goose, greylag, pinkfoot and

147 Barnacle goose

(almost a lifer but for the sighting last week in Sweden, but a new UK tick all the same). Then, to cap a great weekend, as I packed up to leave the hide, a

148 Merlin

whizzed past right below the windows!

Last edited:
After the influx of rarities and migrants along the coast a couple of weeks ago, the last week has been fairly quiet, but a trip to Cresswell this lunch time added another couple of species to the list, taking me to 150 for the UK for 2012 :)

149 Long-tailed duck
150 Little stint

These, in fact, were both lifers for me :D

Had a trip to Madrid with work - a whole week at a conference - and managed to get out to Casa de Campo one afternoon for a stroll around. Although there was nothing amazing, I managed to add

72 Monk Parakeet - a lifer
73 (Iberian) Green woodpecker (is it a full species or ssp?)
74 Great spotted woodpecker
75 Robin
76 Chaffinch
77 Blackbird!
78 Blue tit
79 Great tit
80 Short-toed treecreeper

Only the parakeet is new for the year, not on any other list. And they seem to be a real feral pest now, screeching and squawking over all the parks like the rn parakeets in London.

A great long weekend away in Berwick-upon-Tweed, adding two more species to the UK list for 2012, including another lifer.

On the first evening, there were a large mix of waders in one of the bays by the caravan site. Mostly oystercatcher, redshank and turnstone, but also 3 curlew and singles of ringed plover, black-tailed godwit, sanderling, and

151 Grey plover (lifer)

The next day, another walk along the cliff revealed large numbers of turnstone and ringed plover, as well as small flocks of rock pipit, and several eider offshore. Then, on the cliffs:

152 Raven

And, further inland, with a few tits in trees near the Co-op, were two

153 Black redstart

Only one seen, but a second heard returning the first one's call. (New species for my UK lifetime list).

Last edited:
Creeping towards that 200 mark....

After a few local reports of an influx of waxwings, I headed out on my bike around Ashington this lunch time, and although the reported locations held nothing more than a single blackbird feasting on the rowan berries, further down the Morpeth road, there were three in a tree by a petrol station

154 Waxwing

Last edited:
Two additions to my UK list this weekend, one a new species to the 2012 list... taking me to 199 species for the year!!

Out on my bike on Sunday afternoon, the first tick was a pair of

155 Brambling

just north of Ashington Rugby club. Then, on to Cresweel Pond, where the long-staying

156 Jack snipe

was just visible poking its head out of the reeds in front of the hide, and occasionally indulging in some bobbing... a life tick for me!

So, am I going to make it to 200 for the year? What will it be? Where will I find it?!?!

So, 2 days in Germany, just south of Frankfurt added several species to my Germany all-time list, as well as bringing me a (debatable) 200th tick for the year!! All species seen at the small Lampertheimer Altrhein reserve during an hour's lunch break and the half hour of twilight before it got too dark to see anything!

35. Canada Goose
36. Bar-headed goose*
37. Swan Goose*
38. Blue tit
39. Bullfinch
40. Blackbird
41. Robin
42. Redwing
43. Long-tailed tit
44. Goldcrest
45. Great-spotted woodpecker
46. Buzzard

Of which the two goose species* are new to the 2012 list.

Last edited:
OK, I can probably ignore the dubious ticks above now as I made it to 200 for 2012 today ;)

On a trip to Bothal pond to examine some Canada geese for anything unusual, there was a surprise in store:

157 Great northern diver

Yes! On Bothal pond, 8 miles in land! Not sure how common this is but was a mighty surprise to me. So that's 200 for the year (or 202 depending if naturalised escapes seen in Germany count) with 27 days left to go!

A final work trip of the year took me to Copenhagen, with a short walk around the University campus in Ballerup before my meeting and an hour or so around Vestamager and Kastrup afterwards! And pretty productive:

1. Goldeneye - from the motorway bridge connecting Amager to Copenhagen!
2. Goldfinch - Ballerup
3. Chaffinch - Ballerup
4. Hooded Crow - Ballerup
5. Magpie - Ballerup
6. Woodpigeon - Ballerup
7. Jay - Ballerup
8. Mallard - Ballerup
9. Grey heron - Ballerup
10. Blue tit - Ballerup
11. Great tit - Ballerup
12. Blackbird - Ballerup
13. Robin - Ballerup
14. Fieldfare - Ballerup
15. Redwing - Kalvebod Fælled
16. Hen harrier* - Kalvebod Fælled
17. Kestrel - Kalvebod Fælled
18. Mute swan - Kalvebod Fælled
19. Canada goose - Kalvebod Fælled
20. Bean goose - Kalvebod Fælled
21. Siskin - Kalvebod Fælled
22. Cormorant - Vestamager
23. Little grebe - Vestamager
24. Coot - Vestamager
25. Herring gull - Kastrup
26. Black-headed gull - Kastrup

* of which, one species is new for 2012

Last edited:
On possibly my last trip out this year, I finally got the most unlikely of the missing species -

158 Kingfisher

taking my total for 2012 to 204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back