• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ - Las Vegas, NV (Corn Creek) (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

Taken the other day out at Corn Creek, DNWR - about 25 mile N of Vegas.

The one bird, taken in the morning sun, well, it looks like a sparrow of sorts.

The other bird, in the foliage, looks like a bunting. Maybe Lazuli, but the breast is more colored than I expected, so maybe it's a young male?

PS; Also had a Northern Waterthrush on the same day! My first..

Thanks in advance,
Maureen

Attachments

• IMG_2577_who.jpg
    IMG_2577_who.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2581_who.jpg
    IMG_2581_who.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2724_who.jpg
    IMG_2724_who.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 90
Hello Maureen,

The first one is a flycatcher but I don't know which one someone else should. I think you nailed the second one as Lazuli Bunting, but I'm no expert!

-Matt

I am thinking House Finch for no 3 - hard for me to comment on 1 and 2 ( out of my range) but thinking you are right with Lazuli .

I am thinking House Finch for no 3 - hard for me to comment on 1 and 2 ( out of my range) but thinking you are right with Lazuli .

I think the one they were calling a Bunting was number three Dave;), and I take back my flycatcher theory for 1&2 for now!

-Matt

Bookless pre-birding quick look of Maureen's excellent photos:

1 & 2 could be Lazuli Bunting. It's not a flycatcher, look at the bill.

#3 has a conical (finch-y) bill that is bicolored. There's an orange-apricot wash across the chest that also has streaks, and a white-ish largely unstreaked belly. With two thin pale wingbars, there can only be a very few possibilities.

I think they are all Lazulis; first two females- note buff washed breast and wing bars.
Third lacks face pattern of House Finch, looks like juv. Passerina Bunting, most likely Lazuli.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back