Leaf Warbler? - Hangzhou, China, Jan 08 (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Please could someone help me ID this warbler?
Suspect it's White-tailed leaf warbler but would be grateful of confirmation from all the experts out there.

Many thanks in advance
Kev

Attachments

• lw1.jpg
    lw1.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 90
  • lw2.jpg
    lw2.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 72
  • lw3.jpg
    lw3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 78
  • lw4.jpg
    lw4.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 90
  • lw5.jpg
    lw5.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 80

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
United Kingdom
Hmmm..Asian phylloscs, everybody's favourite!
For WTLW would've thought to have seen white on the inner webs of the outer tail feathers, especially on the underside views

Frenchy

United Kingdom
Although it looks a bit large in the pictures, i can't really see why its not a Pallas's Warbler. The prominent pale tertial fringes are not found on either Blyth's or White-tailed as far as i can remember, and you would be able to see the white outer tail feathers on at least one of these pictures.

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I agree with Frenchy - looks like a rather dull Pallas' to me too - also I don't think there are records of White-tailed Leaf Warbler from Zhejiang, and especially in winter all records of resident White-tailed Leaf Warbler in China are more westerly, I think.

White-tailed was recorded by La Touche in Eastern China in the 1930s and the race ogilviegranti is supposed to occur at Wuyi Shan. However this is a very difficult species in taxonomic terms - there is another race - disturbans - which obviously gave La Touche, who was a top class taxonomist, severe headaches!

Cheers
Mike

amongst other things, it has pale-tipped dark tertials (like YBr and Pallas's etc) and the secondaries aren't right either. It's also very pale below and has dark-centred greater covs and a shadow below the greater covs etc. The wing just doesn't look right for a Blyth's / White-tailed type

posh parents Paul - it's hyphenated!

John Eaton

Wow, are there many other instances of two blokes getting there name on one bird, or did he just have posh parents?!?

It's a posh bloke Paul called William Robert Ogilvie-Grant (1863-1924). He was curator of birds at the British Museum. Apparently he originally just called himself Grant but for some reason changed to Ogilvie-Grant around 1902.

Users who are viewing this thread