• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leafhopper ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

I found this leafhopper on grassland near Brampton earlier today, and I'm struggling to find a plausible ID. The closest match I can find on the British Bugs website is Lamprotettix nitidulus:

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/homoptera/Cicadellidae/Lamprotettix_nitidulus.html

The markings on the scutellum are right (and this is apparently an important ID feature for this speices), and those on the pronotum, vertex and face also seem to line up reasonably well. However, the wings are clearly wrong (although the venation seems OK) and there are other differences as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4606 ed cr 15000.jpg
    IMG_4606 ed cr 15000.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 21
Many thanks for that, Paul.

Yet again I just don't understand how I missed this one. I really did work through the list three times, and for some reason just didn't see it!

The specimen in question was measured at 4.4mm in length, ie outside of the 3-3.5mm range specified by BB and so I guess it might be one of the similar species not illustrated in the gallery.

As I believe it's a female, it's presumably not going to be possible to identify it down to species level, but at least I'm now reasonably confident of the genus!

Regards

Paul K

For info, I've just done some image searches for the three Macrosteles species classed on the British Bugs systematic list as common, and Macrosteles sexnotatus is perhaps a more likely candidate. Although the images on the BB gallery bear little resemblance to the specimen in question, I found the following which in addition to the scutellum markings etc has similar wings and also the same stripes on the top side of the abdomen.

https://www.naturbasen.dk/observation/2811821/macrosteles-sexnotatus

It's specified on BB as being 3-4mm in length, which is closer to the 4.4mm measurement.

However, it also requires dissection of a male to confirm ID.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back