• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lee Evans interviewed by David Lindo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I found this very interesting and felt Lee came across well. He was soberly dressed in shirt and tie so gave the appearance of taking this chance to speak seriously.
I can imagine that criticism does hurt him...he is human , after all, if a little intense and obsessive.
But then again interesting people , of which he is definitely one, have layers of different aspects to their personality.

Nice one Lee;)

Lee mentioned a lot of conservation subjects such as demize of farmland species etc which we should all echo his sentiments, however don't agree with his view on ruddy ducks they should go the same way as mink, grey squirrel and canada geese. That apart Fair play to him and long may he reign:king:

Re notebooks he is probably right that fewer people use them. But part of the reason for this is due to the amount of Photographers around with good equipment that captures most of the ID criteria. However notebooks are still useful for your own notes on ID , calls , counts etc. Still got mine for everyday's birding since 1974.
always nice to reminisce.
B :)John

From what I could see Lee simply re-iterated much of what he had already posted on the Documentary thread. Making it a tad redundant. Yes, he addressed some of the portrayal in THIS documentary, and the explanation regarding not trusting Gary is acceptable. But there are years of incidents, quotes and other documentaries where his, consistent, obsessive behaviour has been shown.

I found it interesting that he so ardently voiced his concerns over issues around birding and conservation as almost penance for his nastier side.

Does he actually do some PHYSICAL work for all the topics he mentioned (Turtle Dove declines, Stewardship support etc etc) ? Or is it just vocal support/opposition on his blog (and copied onto various forums/newsgroups)?

At the end of the day, to my mind, he is justifying his "bad" obsessive and interfering behaviour, with "good" behaviour, as if it balances out and with zero intention to change for the better.

In the most simplistic sense, many people out there are never going to be happy about someone keeping files on them without permission, having someone "Investigate" their records and sightings as if they are some sort of criminal, being labelled as one of the 13% of "cheats" (whether that is a deliberate cheat or otherwise).

Clearly he fully believes that his policing activities are fully required. And I don't think anyone could ever make him see otherwise.

Owen

Last edited:
I guess that, to an extent, Lee’s obsessions reveal his fear that UK ‘lists’ will be completely devalued if birders aren’t…eerrr…‘watched’….and I can understand a certain amount of paranoia for those in the upper reaches of listing. Not that it really bothers me as I can’t justify paying zillions of quid in the UK going to see something I’ve seen perfectly well abroad.

Yeah..Lee went over the same old ground in the interview and I’m sure he realizes that he was a tad naïve to have expected his views on conservation etc to have gotten greater coverage…the prog was about obsessive behaviour after all.

Being 'old school' I share his dismay…[tho not as much as he does];)…over the modern scene, where it does appear at times that some folk are far too quick to tick under pressure in order to acquire a new bird. There are very few deliberate cheats in the game I reckon and far more birders, that perhaps, convince themselves that they have actually seen a species when they’ve just had inadequate views…[the mind will play tricks]..!
This is where there’s a dividing line amongst individuals…those that are happy to tick crap views…[inadequate…UTV’s]….and those who really want the satisfaction of properly identifying a bird and don’t let the ‘listing pressure’ sway them to the dark side...

I’m afraid tho that along with making an industry/money etc out of birding comes the inevitable downside of publicity and popularity….how one controls that….well…I don’t know if you really can….

ps....as to Lee's behaviour...he's always been fine with me so i have no personal gripes...[tho i know a few who have...but that's between them]...:smoke:

I found this very interesting and felt Lee came across well. He was soberly dressed in shirt and tie so gave the appearance of taking this chance to speak seriously.
I can imagine that criticism does hurt him...he is human , after all, if a little intense and obsessive.
But then again interesting people , of which he is definitely one, have layers of different aspects to their personality.

Lee always wears a shirt and tie, well nearly always. That's part of the reason so many people think he's a prat.

Being 'old school' I share his dismay…[tho not as much as he does];)…over the modern scene, where it does appear at times that some folk are far too quick to tick under pressure in order to acquire a new bird. There are very few deliberate cheats in the game I reckon and far more birders, that perhaps, convince themselves that they have actually seen a species when they’ve just had inadequate views…[the mind will play tricks]..!
This is where there’s a dividing line amongst individuals…those that are happy to tick crap views…[inadequate…UTV’s]….and those who really want the satisfaction of properly identifying a bird and don’t let the ‘listing pressure’ sway them to the dark side...

Ah rose-tinted spectacles......

Wake-up people, there have always been stringers and tick-n-run twitchers and there always will be. We just notice more because everything is on the net. If Lee is so keen on 'apprenticeships' then how come he has completely failed in instilling his coveted values in his protégée Garry?

If there is no hope for Garry then what hope for the next new birder who would be the next Peter Grant?

I certainly agree about the rose-tinted spectacles. Loads of people ticked on crap views, there was loads of flushing - does no-one remember a certain birder who spent time inside or the UEA upstarts? -some of us were well behaved ;). And there were certainly lots of people who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow. I remember a friend of mine saying, and I thinking writing in the SOG magazine, that at the Blyth's pipit at Languard, a large twitch, that he saw one other person use a notebook (that was me). That was in 1994,

Hey...i wouldn't deny for one minute that there's always been stringers and tick n run merchants.....even thru me 'rose tints'...[chuckle]...!

One of Lee's problems, obviously, is that he just can't keep track of the multiplied numbers of the aforementioned 'types'...but that was always inevitable in an increasingly popular 'game'...etc

One of Lee's problems, obviously, is that he just can't keep track of the multiplied numbers of the aforementioned 'types'...but that was always inevitable in an increasingly popular 'game'...etc

....quite, more birders = more potential stringers, no net change in frequency.

though putting the fox in charge of the chickens was never a good idea..... or was that Dracula and the Blood Bank.... I forget....

People should just live with the fact that some people will misidentify birds on purpose (cheats), misidentify birds by accident (occupational hazard) and others will spend four seconds looking at rarities (their choice, their 'loss').

Giving Lee a platform doesn't really help matters, everything that has been written about him is probably more or less true, the good bits and the bad bits. Hopefully when Stuart Winter writes his biography it will reflect both....

Nice one Lee;)

Re notebooks he is probably right that fewer people use them. But part of the reason for this is due to the amount of Photographers around with good equipment that captures most of the ID criteria.

Which is partly responsible for the lack of field skills that Lee refers to perhaps? If someone can't/or won't bother to ID something in the field, with all the live gizz, behaviour etc etc, there's a big chunk missing in the learning curve imo - and ultimately problematic if the photos aren't conclusive enough for separating confusion species or if, as we sometimes see, the photos are relied on for identification by others as a 'rule of thumb'.

But of course, putting time and effort in to come to grips with field identification/calls/craft etc is perhaps just one aspect of the hobby and one that might not appeal to everyone since it's a rather long drawn out process of 'learning' that never comes to a finite position and can be a right headache!

As far as competitive listing is concerned, I don't personally engage with it, again, something that doesn't appeal to everyone, however, if I did, I'd be a bit wracked off if I'd put in hours/years of hard work in the field, thousands of miles in twitching, spent loads of money in doing so to reach the heady realms of top listers, only to be 'beaten' by someone who's, for whatever reason, taken a few short cuts to expand their list. And yes, I'd want to make sure that those records were reliable, not stringed, mistaken, made up etc etc - including my own.

At the end of the day, I'd rather go birding with Lee than many of the other 'expert' birders I've been birding with over the years because his is an approach to the hobby that sits very comfortably with me.

(And what the heavens does his dress sense have to do with anything! I wear secondhand combat trousers, bulky walking boots and anoraks that are usually several sizes too big for me - hardly the picture of female sartorial elegance!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back