• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8 x 32 Ultravid HD plus (1 Viewer)

teelgul

Having a look at the smallest and best 8 x 32s for travel . This one seems to be the smallest but ER just 13 mm?? I view with glasses. Not many reviews out there . Anyone with first hand experience??
Thanks
Vaidya

This one seems to be the smallest but ER just 13 mm?? I view with glasses. Anyone with first hand experience??
I view with glasses also, and the 8x32 UV has just enough eye relief for me to see the entire field; but I have thin metal eyeglass frames, with adjustable bridge rests, and they sit close to my face. A heavy plastic frame with thick lenses would probably prevent most users from seeing the entire field. Thus I think it's important for anyone considering this bino to try them out first if they wear glasses. I love it; I think it's a little gem, with a lovely view. Hope this helps.

It seems to depend on how thick your glasses are. While the eye relief is short on paper, the little Leica does maximize it by having the eye lens being nearly flush with the rim of the eyecup. See the photo below for example vs the Zeiss 8x25 Victory and Vortex 8x32 Diamondback, both of which lose a fair bit more eye relief due to more deeply recessed ocular lenses.

My wife uses the 8x32 UVHD and she loves them, she wears glasses but they aren't super thick. Some people have reported the eye relief being JUST enough, and others don't. So you may have to try them.

That said, I would strongly consider the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, which have quite long eye relief and are close to the Ultravid optically despite being half the price. And they are even lighter and fold up smaller for travel.

1607551591494.png

Thanks John. I am keen as have the Noctivid 8 x 42 which is very compact, solid build and finish and with a great ER. The 8x32 looks as good ,as you said a little gem, and ER was the only concern.

Hi Eitan
Thanks for that. Yes I was looking at the 8 x 25s ,Swaro and Zeiss and also the New SF 8x 32 but the compact size of the Ultravid and its build quality which looked similar to the Noctivid impressed me.

Having a look at the smallest and best 8 x 32s for travel . This one seems to be the smallest but ER just 13 mm?? I view with glasses. Not many reviews out there . Anyone with first hand experience??
Thanks
Vaidya
Try out the Little Meopta Meostar 8x32 , you could be pleasantly surprised on how it fares against the best 8x32’s out there and for sure .... the Meopta will leave more money in your pocket.

Eye relief is one thing, but trying to stabilize the tiny eye cups of the Ultravid against your bony anatomy somewhere around your eye is another. This is the same issue with the Meostar which requires very precise eye placement to get the perfect view —- a view which is clearly alpha-premium level. Tiny eye cups. Ergonomics.

Last edited:
My wife wears eyeglasses when viewing. Our UVHD+ is the only bino in our collection that she cannot see the entire field of view. And she requires less ER than I do.

Yes, I’m sure there are a few eyeglass wearers out there that use the 8x32 UVHD+ to good effect, but I certainly would not recommend one to an eyeglass wearer that could not purchase one in person.

Great bin..... you can't go wrong with this binocular. Try it out and see how it fits. Someone mentioned the 8x32 Meostar...get the B1.1 but also try out as not everyone seems to fit this bin with their eyes....

For my eyes, in my (somewhat limited experience), the 8x32 is the star of the Ultravid lineup. But it doesn't have enough eye relief for me with glasses, unfortunately. I can't comment on the Meopta, but in terms of other very small bins that handle about like a full size, I am a fan of the Victory 8x25, Monarch HG 8x30, and CL-B 8x30. Choosing between those and the Ultravid will be a function of ergonomics and personal preferences more than anything, they're all excellent.

For travel the Victory 8x25 is much lighter than the UV 8x32, and has better eye relief. It is in practice bright enough during the day, only it has a smaller exit pupil and hence it is a little slower to bring up to the eye to spot a bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back