• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 Ultravids...and then a further question? (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
Hi

I have looked at several binoculars and monoculars to purchase. I have now decided that I would like a compact pair of binoculars to be used for birding, walking and general usage. We still have two pairs of (good quality in my opinion) standard size bins for birdwatching, but I wanted a pair that can be carried easily, especially on walks in the Lakes and the Peak District. I am considering purchasing Leica 8x20 BL Ultravids for this use.

Is this generally a good choice?

Many of you on this site have recommended that I buy the best that I can afford. With this in mind it is for this reason that I am now opting for compacts as I cannot really afford to buy a top of the range pair of standard size bins until after our forthcoming holiday in Canada. I have therefore decided that I will purchase good quality standard sized bins later in the year.

The compacts are not a compromise, as they are something that I have wanted for a while for the reasons previously stated.

Finally, when I eventually get around to buying my main pair of bins, what pair would you suggest is the best for 8x42 (or similar) with a price limit of approx £900, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, or Nikon?

The reason I require a third pair of standard sized bins is because my wife and daughter will be using the other two pairs.

Hi Gray,

Although there is a tendency to orient to 8x20 for a compact bin, I would seriously recommend giving 10x25s careful consideration since they are really a step up in brightness and general utility. Take your pick of the top four, although I've gotten excellent results from a Swaro 10x25 SLC.

-elkcub

I was ready to buy a pair of Ultravid 10x25 but they got back ordered for weeks. I eventually bought Nikon LXL's for much less ($250 Cdn less). I can't vouch the Nikons are better optically but the price was right and I'm VERY happy with them.
As for the big bins, if I had the money I would be the proud owner of a pair of Zeiss 10x42 FL's. I think. I haven't looked through a pair but from what I've gleaned from Bird Forum they are excellent.

Last edited:
Gray C said:
Hi

I have looked at several binoculars and monoculars to purchase. I have now decided that I would like a compact pair of binoculars to be used for birding, walking and general usage. We still have two pairs of (good quality in my opinion) standard size bins for birdwatching, but I wanted a pair that can be carried easily, especially on walks in the Lakes and the Peak District. I am considering purchasing Leica 8x20 BL Ultravids for this use.

Is this generally a good choice?

Many of you on this site have recommended that I buy the best that I can afford. With this in mind it is for this reason that I am now opting for compacts as I cannot really afford to buy a top of the range pair of standard size bins until after our forthcoming holiday in Canada. I have therefore decided that I will purchase good quality standard sized bins later in the year.

The compacts are not a compromise, as they are something that I have wanted for a while for the reasons previously stated.

Finally, when I eventually get around to buying my main pair of bins, what pair would you suggest is the best for 8x42 (or similar) with a price limit of approx £900, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, or Nikon?

The reason I require a third pair of standard sized bins is because my wife and daughter will be using the other two pairs.

The 8x20 Ultravid is a good choice. So are others. You will find lots of recent threads discussing compacts and full size bins and I am sure they will be helpful. I disagree with Elkcub as I dislike the shakier view, reduced DOF, reduced FOV and reduced eye relief of a 10x binocular, but that is my subjective choice.

Leif

Gray,

As mentioned in post #2, there is a tendency to orient towards 8x20s for compacts. I own both kinds and would still recommend giving 10x25s careful consideration before deciding. Incidentally, you can find my thoughts right after Leif's excellent review of the Swaro 8x20:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=123
There is no substitute for handling each type, — but I'd be interested to learn what you decide upon.

Enjoy the view whatever you do,
Elkcub

Hi Elkcub

I opted for the 8x20's in the end. To be honest I had placed my order before reading your initial post, otherwise I would have been in a bit of a dilema, as I had previously decided that I wanted 8x.

I have now got them and find them to be really good, surprisingly, even in poor light. The only slight problem I have experienced is a bit of blackout when using them with spectacles, but I am finding with prcatice I can significantly reduce this. Furthermore, as my eyesight is not too bad, I am quite comfortabe using them without glasses.

Looking forward to getting a full sized pair later this year, whether it be Zeiss, Leica or Swaro, time will tell.

Anyway thanks for your advice. They will certainly be in my baggage when we fly out to Canada in July.

elkcub said:
Gray,

As mentioned in post #2, there is a tendency to orient towards 8x20s for compacts. I own both kinds and would still recommend giving 10x25s careful consideration before deciding. Incidentally, you can find my thoughts right after Leif's excellent review of the Swaro 8x20:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=123
There is no substitute for handling each type, — but I'd be interested to learn what you decide upon.

Enjoy the view whatever you do,
Elkcub

Thanks for the reply. Leica 8x20s are very nice, particularly BLs, so wear them out watching birds.

-elk

BR vs. BL's??

elkcub said:
Thanks for the reply. Leica 8x20s are very nice, particularly BLs, so wear them out watching birds.

-elk

Hi Elk...

Do you prefer the 8x20 BL's over the BR's?? If so... why??

One other thing... for a while you were the high bidder on 8x32 SE's on Ebay. They are pretty nice if I do say so myself. ;)

Don

Donzo98 said:
Hi Elk...

Do you prefer the 8x20 BL's over the BR's?? If so... why??

One other thing... for a while you were the high bidder on 8x32 SE's on Ebay. They are pretty nice if I do say so myself. ;)

Don

Well, BLs are more elegant, IMO, but I wouldn't say I prefer them exactly. With larger Ultravids (like 10x42s) the BRs are much easier on the hands.

Right now I've got a pair of mint 10x35Es being aligned by Nikon. If they do a good job I may warm up to porros again, but so far it's been 100% needing collimation. ... BTW those 10x35s are optically very sweet. |=)|

-elk

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back