• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32's or 8x42's. What is the real difference? (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
Very briefly, I am considering adding a big brother to my 8x20 BL Ultravids.

I am considering either the Ultravid 8x32's or the 8x42's. Is there are real difference between the two or is the difference so marginal that most people would not know the difference. At the end of the day both models are not that far apart in price (approx £100 between the two)

I would be interested to hear your views on both models. They will be used for birding and general use, with hiking and walking being reserved for my 8x20's. I do not use my bins that much in low light, but I would be interested to hear your views on their pros and cons in these conditions.

Please help me make up my mind

Graham

Gray C said:

I am considering either the Ultravid 8x32's or the 8x42's. Is there are real difference between the two or is the difference so marginal that most people would not know the difference. At the end of the day both models are not that far apart in price (approx £100 between the two)

I would be interested to hear your views on both models. They will be used for birding and general use, with hiking and walking being reserved for my 8x20's. I do not use my bins that much in low light, but I would be interested to hear your views on their pros and cons in these conditions.

Graham

Graham: My own preference is for the 8x42. In normal use the eye will not be dilated to 4mm so the 8x42 will not be any brighter, but the larger exit pupil makes for an easier view. My own experience is that 42mm binoculars usually have higher contrast than 32 mm ones, though I don't know about the Ultravids. And of course at dawn and dusk the larger 42mm objectives will make a difference. The only disadvantages of the larger binocular is the increased size (which I like as I find it easier to hold) and the increased weight (which does not bother me). However, many people do much prefer the more compact 32mm instruments, and some people have one of each! Some people have as many as 30 binoculars, but that's another story.

Leif

Gray C said:

Graham

Graham,

The specs may help you decide...

Ultravid 8X42
Exit Pupil 5.25
Field of View 390 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 15.9 mm
Close Focus 10.2 ft.
Weight 27.8 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 5.6 x 4.8 in.

Ultravid 8X32
Exit Pupil 4.0 mm
Field of View 405 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 13 mm
Close Focus 7.2 ft.
Weight 19.7 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 4.56 x 4.56 in.

The 13mm eye relief on the 8X32 removes them from my list, so I can't comment on them. Others will chime in...

My 7X42 Ultravid is wonderful.

John

I have 8x32 Leica Trinovids and 8.5x42 Swaro EL's. There's no doubt that the bigger binocs are brighter, and I always prefer them when there's some "serious" birding on the program. The little Leicas have superb resolution, maybe, just maybe, a little better that the Swaros, and the small, handy size is an asset when going on long walks, or when it is very, very hot (as it is now) and I want to carry as little as possible.

John's comments on the short eye relief of the 32mm is right on; I wear glasses, and could do with another mm or two on my Trinovids. I also agree that with the smaller exit pupil, eye placement is more critical.

For me the bottom line is that if I could have only one pair, I'd would be 42mm, of whatever make. They are heavier, but you will get slightly better performance in most conditions.

Best,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back