• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x42 UV HD+ Field Curvature (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I have 8x32 Zeiss FL, and Leica 8x42 UV HD+ (well, and some others, but that's besides the point :).

Comparing these two, I was surprised to notice the extend of the Leica's field curvature. When I look at a fir about 15m from me, I can see the center of the field of view in sharp focus, but the edges quite a bit blurry. The edges can be brought into perfect focus, but then the center is out of focus, a classical symptom of field curvature.

I used to think at field curvature as something important for star fields, but here I really notice it when scanning trees for birds! It's not too bad -- I typically use the center of the binocular to look at something, and the edges just to detect movement, but it was surprising.

Is this a known characteristics of the Leica UV HD+ 8x42? I was not expecting quite so much field curvature. In comparison, the Zeiss 8x32 FL, while not being a "flat field" binocular, offers me a sharp image of the fir essentially edge to edge, yes with some very minor quality degradation towards the edge, but very much more in focus than with the Leica.

I don't find field curvature a problem in my 10x32, but 10x42 Ultravids always struck me has having more, as the previous Trinovids probably did too. I supposed it was a price one paid for the smallest 42 around. (FC may be somewhat improved again in 50s but I've hardly tried those.) It might be fairer to compare with an 8x42 Zeiss. And FC is preferable to uglier aberrations.

Yes, I also did not recall noticing field curvature with the 7x42, and also not with the UV HD+ 8x32, but I was surprised to notice it with the 8x42...
Do other 8x42 owners notice the field curvature?

Notice, hmm... When I first got an EII 8x30 I was of course examining it carefully, critical of its FC (probably similar to UV 8x42 in fact) and wishing it had less. Now I've simply stopped being bothered with it, which is good because the EII is a lovely bin and I can enjoy it. My wife who doesn't even care to know what FC is likes it even more. Where you land on this is your choice.

(Of course the EII delivers a very wide field of view which inclines me to be more tolerant, while the Ultravid does not...)

Yes, I also did not recall noticing field curvature with the 7x42, and also not with the UV HD+ 8x32, but I was surprised to notice it with the 8x42...
I find field curvature quite noticeable in both the 7x42+ and the 8x32+.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back