• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 65 discontinued? (1 Viewer)

C B Allen

Chris Allen
Was just reviewing optics replacement costs as part of checking our insurance values are OK & noticed that it appears the Leica APO 65 scope (which my wife has) has recently been discontinued.

I can't remember reading about this anywhere - and Googling it the "65" just seems to have disappeared from even the Leica UK website although it still shows both the straight & angled versions of the "82".

A couple of US hunting supply websites do comment that the "65" has been discontinued so it would appear that is the case.

So, was wondering if this is just down to rationalising the product range, a poor seller or if a new/replacement Leica scope has been suggested.

I haven't heard any official news from Leica. It has been discontinued for a while though. I couldn't find one when I was scope shopping last May.

Imo Leica "appear" to have noticably taken a back seat in the sports optic market...... ( no 32mm Noctivid or serious hint of one anytime ). Given the move to larger Objective diameter "alpha" spotting scopes ie Kowa 880 series and Swarovski's 95 and 115 ATX lens modules, it seems to me the market has significantly reduced for the smaller units, moreso now that only zoom eyepieces are marketed nowadays.
Remember when Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Kowa and Swarovski all offered lower fixed magnification wide angle eyepieces as an option? Happy days. Additionally the Leica 65 APO and it's big brother never impressed me that much when it was launched
Though I still use a Leica 62 APO with a variety of lenses.

Remember when Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Kowa and Swarovski all offered lower fixed magnification wide angle eyepieces as an option? Happy days.
One can use astro eyepieces, and there are some very nice ones. Meopta actually makes an adapter for the S2, and there are third-party options for some other popular scopes. (Most aren't fully waterproof, nor is the connection, though snug.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back