• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica is not getting the attention it deserves (1 Viewer)

I honestly question both of those statements. Leica warranties are now 10 years on new binoculars (and probably other products) not lifetime, and would be the same on ex-demo products as well. Check with a few European Leica stores. Here's a link to a current Leica Mayfair ex-demo NV. It states 10 years warranty.

That information is only applicable to North America. I live in the United States. I was just relaying what I had been told, in writing, from the Director of Customer Care for Leica North America.

Please contact Leica of North America to clarify the warranty and limitations pertaining to their sports optics. I only reiterated, verbatim, the warranty application and clarification per email from the Director of Customer Care for Leica North America. I was just trying to answer “Alan.dang’s” question/statement regarding the difficulty of finding clarification of what Leica’s warranty is for the US. I never in a million years would have imagined this as inflammatory.

I would not go so far as calling it inflammatory, just a lively debate. Par for the course these days. Perhaps one in the US should just buy a Leica new, then said individual would not have to worry about the Warranty.

Back in February I had posted on BF about a bad experience I had with Leica’s support and service. I warned people to think twice about investing so much money in such expensive optics when their warranty was a crapshoot years after the purchase.
My post was seen by Leica’s PR firm in Europe and within days I was contacted by Leica and they offered to do the previously quoted $550 worth of work (that should have been covered by warranty) for free.
While this was a wonderful surprise, I decided to push further and ask clarification on their warranty.
They offer lifetime warranty on their sports optics to the original purchaser.
That was extremely generous of them to reconsider and carry out that work on an item, regardless of ownership.

* See new thread today regarding Leica new Warranty.....best in class *..........they also need to do this worldwide, particularly Europe in they wish to keep competing with Swarovdki and Zeiss as Alpha sports optics though personally I think they are content being a niche brand.

Last edited:
That information is only applicable to North America. I live in the United States. I was just relaying what I had been told, in writing, from the Director of Customer Care for Leica North America.

Please contact Leica of North America to clarify the warranty and limitations pertaining to their sports optics. I only reiterated, verbatim, the warranty application and clarification per email from the Director of Customer Care for Leica North America. I was just trying to answer “Alan.dang’s” question/statement regarding the difficulty of finding clarification of what Leica’s warranty is for the US. I never in a million years would have imagined this as inflammatory.
Sorry if you thought that the responses were inappropriate, but I'm afraid your post wasn't clear (to me at least, and I think others).

'Recently I received clarification from the director/head of Leica NA’s customer service regarding their warranty.

Back in February I had posted on BF about a bad experience I had with Leica’s support and service. I warned people to think twice about investing so much money in such expensive optics when their warranty was a crapshoot years after the purchase.

My post was seen by Leica’s PR firm in Europe and within days I was contacted by Leica and they offered to do the previously quoted $550 worth of work (that should have been covered by warranty) for free.

While this was a wonderful surprise, I decided to push further and ask clarification on their warranty.

They only offer ONE YEAR of warranty on USED or DEMO optics sold by authorized retailers.

No warranty on used or demo gear sold by non-authorized dealers.'

It reads as though you pushed Leica Europe on the warranty details. The warranty is evidently different for the US (although according to @jgraider's post above, that seems to have changed recently). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That was extremely generous of them to reconsider and carry out that work on an item, regardless of ownership.

* See new thread today regarding Leica new Warranty.....best in class *
It was my father’s spotting scope. Either way, we have very different opinions on what a warranty should be. A non-transferring warranty in this day and age is a terrible business decision and non competitive.

But as seen below, it is now a moot point.
On another forum I frequent, there just so happened to be this updated/new warranty information from Leica USA Sport Optics.......looks like they've finally caught on to being competitive with the USA alpha market.....

And just like that, Leica has the most appealing warranty out of any top-tier glass to me.

My dreams of a Noctivid are not dead!

Sorry if you thought that the responses were inappropriate, but I'm afraid your post wasn't clear (to me at least, and I think others).

'Recently I received clarification from the director/head of Leica NA’s customer service regarding their warranty.

They only offer ONE YEAR of warranty on USED or DEMO optics sold by authorized retailers.

No warranty on used or demo gear sold by non-authorized dealers.'

It reads as though you pushed Leica Europe on the warranty details. The warranty is evidently different for the US (although according to @jgraider's post above, that seems to have changed recently). Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I re-read it and understand.

To be clear, I never was in contact with Leica Europe, only North America. I was contacted by Leica’s European PR firm telling me I should hear from Leica NA regarding the service of my scope.

My apologies for the misunderstanding and confusion.

Nethero,

Is the Noctivid bought brand new too much $$$, or are you trying to buy used and get free service. I buy many an alpha glass used, however I have to realize that I might have to pay for repairs not covered under warranty. If I spend that kind of money, I am prepared to pay for repairs. Nothing in life is free, one has to pay for service one way or another.

Good news ...

All Leica Sport Optic products shipped from Leica Camera Inc. to an authorized USA or Canadian dealer since Jan 1, 2021 will now feature a fully transferable 10-year Passport Protection Plan plus a 30-year Manufacturer’s Warranty. Both aspects of our commitment to you compromise the following:

• Fully Transferable
  • No Warranty Card Required
  • No Receipt Required
  • No Charge
  • Valid only on products purchased from authorized Leica dealers in USA or Canada*

Just looking at the number of topics in each category, Leica is behind both Swarovski and Zeiss, each of which has about the same number of topics. Not that the forum is an indicator of how well it does nationwide or world-wide ...

What about Nikon?

Zeiss just came out in the lead, with Nikon and Swarovski basically tying for the 2nd place. I guess that's the new tri-Alpha configuration. With Leica occupying a solid 4th place. Weird. I have no issues with Leica's optics or quality. I usually buy used so their warranty is almost irrelevant.

I think Swarovski will break sales numbers this year and next in the sport optics business, there is no question IMO who is Number 1.

Nethero,

Is the Noctivid bought brand new too much $$$, or are you trying to buy used and get free service. I buy many an alpha glass used, however I have to realize that I might have to pay for repairs not covered under warranty. If I spend that kind of money, I am prepared to pay for repairs. Nothing in life is free, one has to pay for service one way or another.
Truth be told, all of the alpha glass I have, I have bought used. The only Leica in my collection was my dad’s scope.

I just can’t bring myself to spend the money on new. That’s just me. Maybe I have been too accustomed to the warranties of other optics companies.

I often wonder, Leica issued this new Warranty which is a major upgrade, surely this likely has to do with the sales #s of sport optics. I say follow the money. I also wonder how much longer these Warranties will be fulfilled in the future. One solution, prepare for higher prices on optics down the road, and that goes for all premium sport optic manufacturers.

Recently I received clarification from the director/head of Leica NA’s customer service regarding their warranty.

No warranty on used or demo gear sold by non-authorized dealers.

This cemented my fears that even buying used or demo gear was fruitless because if ever a problem would arise, you would pay astronomical prices to fix it.

Hm, that may answer that puzzle, partially. So it's not the optic itself but the service that's lacking, especially compared to Swarovski. I think the only answer to this is, buy used and with a heavy discount. That's the only way it would make sense.

The first optic I got, my first Alpha brand was the late 90's Trinovid. I didn't realize at the time how good it was. I just accepted it, loved the view through it. The 8x42 BA. Love the shape, how it was build like a brick. I looked through other binoculars and none could best it. Not even Swarovski EL. Now that's in terms of razor sharpness. EL did have a long list of improvements to peripheral attributes. Better ergonomics, better eyecups, brightness.. more diopters at infiinity, closer focus, better hydrophobic properites, etc but at its core function, resolving to the Nth degree, the old Trinovid is just fine. It did and still does generate the 'wow' effect. I got one for $550 IIRC circa 2007 and I can see they still go for about the same, used. They hold the value well. (Never mind inflation). Trinovids are 20+ years old now. I do not believe Swaro EL is sharper than Ultravid. Or Zeiss. I do not believe SF is sharper than the Ultravid. It is "as sharp as" Ultravid but not sharper and that's a compliment. Unless we are talking about 10x54 HT but that's not a fair comparison.

I think the old Trinovid / Ultravid / Ultravid HD+, etc. reached the pinnacle of perfection in terms of resolution and sharpness and cannot be improved upon. All improvements are are peripheral: Close focus, better armor, eyecups, diopter settings, better coatings, etc. etc. etc.

If I got stranded on a desert island with a 10x50 Ultravid I would not be upset with the cards fate dealt me. Instead rejoice in the fine optical instrument that's surely going to outlive me. Never got the finances to afford multiple alpha configuration, such as 8x42 and 10x50 and 7x42. If you take care of these bricks, the grandkids will use them when they turn into adults.

The avatar is an objective pic of my Trinovid. (I've since long moved on) Loved the green coating. There was something magic about the whole recipe despite various annoyances, like limited overdrive at infinity.

The Ultravid is really the same repackaged device as the Trinovid but I would not take that as a bad thing. Nevertheless they are a bit stagnant. Zeiss copied Swaro's EL line. The SF looks like an improved copy of EL.

I love Leica but will not pay Leica prices, like many, maybe that's the crux of the problem. I would buy GPO before I got Leica, but GPO is kind of based on Leica. They have a Leica engineer on staff who heavily contributed. I personally talked to the management at GPO and that's what I learned. It's a more cost-effective brand, I think.

Last edited:
But as seen below, it is now a moot point.
(Strange how "moot" came to mean obsolete/irrelevant in North America, rather than debatable...)

This lovely new policy clearly doesn't apply to items sold before 1/1/2021 whose warranty sadly remains non-transferable, a fact that asking prices for used Leicas often don't reflect. I wonder whether they considered making it retroactive?

I have Leica binoculars (Ultravid 8x42BL, Ultravid 10x50, Ultravid 8x25BL and Trinovid 8x25BC, all with the old lifetime warranty, used to have the Ultravid 8x32 HD), Zeiss 8x42 HT and Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 and NL Pure 8x42, love the design, haptics and compact size of the Leicas, but there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the NL Pure is the best Alpha binocular by a wide margin, Leica does not have anything remotely competitive.

I have the NL 8X42, SV 8.5X42 and the Leica NV 8X42, and other premium models in 8X42. I find the Noctivid one hell of a glass, sorry, the NL has a wider FOV, but for me that is it, the NV to me is a very competitive glass.

NL Pure 8x42, love the design, haptics and compact size of the Leicas, but there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the NL Pure is the best Alpha binocular by a wide margin, Leica does not have anything remotely competitive.

Why is that? I have no experience with NL Pure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back