• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Leica retrovid 7x35 viable for use through British winter? (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Well, the Retrovid 7x35s that Jan gave me so generously arrived this week and I managed to find a spare hour this morning to try them out.
In short they are lovely! Such a sweet little design and a quick compare against my UV+ 7x42s showed that they give up very little in comparison. The only negative difference I could see was a touch more colour fringeing on power lines and crows in flight. That's all I could see and it took effort to find. It won't make a difference to me in general use I think.
The view through the Retrovids has a different colour tone than the UV+. They seem cleaner, whiter perhaps. I wondered if there was a difference in contrast causing this appearance but a look at some traffic signs that are black and red on white showed no difference. Both are high in contrast. I haven't worked out what the difference is yet. In fact I couldn't work out what colour the UV+ was showing. I have never considered them to have anything than natural colour until now.
Colour cast is a strange thing and varies with the weather it seems to me. I wouldn't be surprised if things are different tomorrow and again the day after!
A physical difference was the strap attachments are not in a good place for my hands but after trying different holding styles, I'm sure I will adapt to them once the muscle memory forgets what holding the UV+ is like.
The plus side was not having anywhere near as much weight on my shoulders and in my hands (worn out shoulders making this essential these days).
The Retrovids feel heavier in the hand than they are. I think that is a function of their compactness and the feel of their metal making them seem very dense. The almost bare metal will mean gloves are needed earlier in the autumn/later in the spring than a rubber covered pair but that's no big deal.

I fear I may be in danger of becoming a retro fanboy because I'm pretty sure these will become my favourite 7x bins and my 8x favourites are the Nikon SE 8x32. How retro am I? I may have to start birding in flared trousered, big collated safari suits.

All the best to you all
BS 👍

PS I am now wondering how the 8x40s perform but it's alright Jan, I'm not hinting. I know you gave me the last Leica in the shop 😁

eronald

Boogieshrew, might I maybe ask whether you would consider swapping your well cared for but now not so used 7x42 Leica HD Plus for my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 which Zeiss are going to repair? The Zeiss are incredibly sharp and easy to carry, but I don’t like them. I would of course be prepared to make up the difference ...

Boogieshrew

Boogieshrew, might I maybe ask whether you would consider swapping your well cared for but now not so used 7x42 Leica HD Plus for my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 which Zeiss are going to repair? The Zeiss are incredibly sharp and easy to carry, but I don’t like them. I would of course be prepared to make up the difference ...
Hi,
Thanks for the offer but no thank you. I am not ready to give up the UV+. I may never be. And I already have the VP8x25s and, although I like them within the limitations of a compact, I hardly use them. I'm more likely to give them up but I hang on to them knowing that one day I may have a use for compact bins.

Boogieshrew

Well the Retrovids had their first weather test. I got caught in a downpour this morning. No sign of a problem so far.
I must say I really like the retro eyecup cover. It really takes me back to the 1980s and I love the simplicity of it. It's a straightforward trough, for want of a better word. No flexing or bending parts and sits loosely over the oculars so it's really easy to put on and off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_092119241.jpg
    IMG_20210822_092119241.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36

Patudo

PS I am now wondering how the 8x40s perform

I liked the x40 Retrovids better than the 7x35 in some respects - the 7x35, while wonderfully compactly packaged, felt just a little too small in my hands, and when I put those slim barrels to my eyes the field stop seemed so thin that it allowed more of the outside world into my peripheral vision that I was accustomed to. The x40s, while still very compact, fit my hands better; optically they are comparable with the 7x35, but there are a lot of excellent 8xs and 10xs out there, the best of which surpass them optically (but not necessarily handling wise, or in perceived build quality - although whether the Retrovids' mechanicals can stand the test of time as well as the Leitzes they're based on will only be proven after many years).

I had the opportunity to try all three Retrovids out in January 2020 alongside two Zeiss Dialyts I was very familiar with (10x40 and 7x42, both P models) - my thoughts, if you're interested, are noted here: link.

Boogieshrew

Thanks Patudo for your thoughts, and especially the link. I agree with everything you said about the 7x35s.
I tried the 7x35s very briefly last year and someone said they thought they were good optically but not £1250 good. They're more like £800 good and the extra £450 was for the Leica brand.
Do you think that's correct?
I'm not sure about it. In the brief time I've owned them, I really don't think they're far behind my UV+ 7x42s and I've not heard or read anyone say that the UV+ are over priced.
Time and long term use will make up my mind no doubt.
All the best

ZDHart

Supporter
Hi,
Thanks for the offer but no thank you. I am not ready to give up the UV+. I may never be. And I already have the VP8x25s and, although I like them within the limitations of a compact, I hardly use them. I'm more likely to give them up but I hang on to them knowing that one day I may have a use for compact bins.
I can relate to this. I love the 7x42 UVHD+. What a view!

As for the VP 25s, some people have great use for compact bins. As for myself... same as you: I just don't use my 25s, but keep thinking that someday I may. :rolleyes: (Big nod to 32s.)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread