• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 10x32 BN Focuser Question (1 Viewer)

lilcrazy2

United States
I recently picked up a pair of Trinovid 10x32 BN's that appear to be mint and unused. Not a mark, scratch, or sign of use anywhere on them. Bought them to compare to a Hawke Frontier ED-X 10x32 I purchased previously. But I have a question on the focuser, and feel that it is defective. It's been 10 years or more since I bought and sold several BA's and BN's and don't remember them having the focuser like this one.
Focus is about 420 degrees total (1.2 turns) clockwise to infinity. It focuses at infinity when the focuser is turned to a dead stop at the end of clockwise rotation - no overtravel at all beyond. With absolutely no overtravel, it is impossible to tell if they could actually be focused sharper.

Am I correct in feeling that the focuser is supposed to have overtravel beyond infinity focus?

Tom

It depends on your eye prescription and whether you are using glasses.

It may be the binocular was adapted for a particular eye prescription to give closer focus.

For neutral eyes there should be some focus beyond infinity, to give non neutral eyes some latitude.

Regards,
B.

Hi Tom,

The 10x32 BN's close focus is nominally 2.1 m/ 6.9 ft.

If your unit's minimum focus is substantially greater, then it's likely as Binastro suggests that the focus travel has been adjusted
to address a previous owner's optical needs.

EDIT: 'substantially closer', see post #6 below.

John

Leica 10x32 BN.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on your eye prescription and whether you are using glasses.

It may be the binocular was adapted for a particular eye prescription to give closer focus.
I don't wear glasses when using binos, and this is the only bino I have ever used that has no over focus beyond infinity and I've had many and still have 30 or more.
Hi Tom,

The 10x32 BN's close focus is nominally 2.1 m/ 6.9 ft.
If your unit's minimum focus is substantially greater, then it's likely as Binastro suggests that the focus travel has been adjusted
to address a previous owner's optical needs.

John
the close focus on mine are around 6 ft and they have overtravel of 5 to 10 degrees beyond close focus like most bins, which is about what I would expect focusing beyond infinity.

Hi Tom,

Well I didn't express that clearly!
Since the total focuser travel is a fixed amount - adjusting the near focus closer than the original set distance -
would take away from the far end (ah . . . the old posting without sufficient cogitation :().

So perhaps a 6 ft minimum does indicate some adjustment after it left the factory?
Alternatively, maybe the 10x32 design just has limited overall focuser travel.
Though FWIW, Both my Leica 7x42 and 8x42 Ultravid focusers travel well over 1/4 turn beyond nominal infinity.

John

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Well I didn't express that clearly!
Since the total focuser travel is a fixed amount - adjusting the near focus closer than the original set distance -
would take away from the far end (ah . . . the old posting without sufficient cogitation :().

So perhaps a 6 ft minimum does indicate some adjustment after it left the factory?
Alternatively, maybe the 10x32 design just has limited overall focuser travel.
Though FWIW, Both my Leica 7x42 and 8x42 Ultravid focusers travel well over 1/4 turn beyond nominal infinity.

John
John
How would someone adjust the focus travel range after it left the factory?
Most binos I have ever owned focus slightly closer than the published factory specs, and this one only beats it by nine inches to my eyes.
I was wondering if it was something unique to this model, but find that somewhat dubious for a bino of this quality. I can't tell if it would focus sharper if it had another another couple of degrees of over travel, or would start to defocus. For my use, I kinda like the way they focus so fast from infinity to 30 yds if I could only be assured I have the best focus at infinity. Focused at infinity the DOF appears to be around 55 to 65 yds to infinity.
Had hoped someone with a 10x32 would chime in.
Like the great Fleetwood Mac album - It's A Mystery To Me.
Guess I'll get ahold of Leica customer service and see what their thoughts might be.
thanx
Tom

The close focus distance is changed by altering the position of the objectives in the tubes.

Some binoculars have the ability to do this, some may not.

This service was I think provided either by the factory themselves or a good binocular repairer.

I presume the factory would charge for this service.

Regards,
B.

I/we have had the 10x32 BN for 20+ years now. (BAs may not have the same focus range?) On ours, travel stops when the dot is at (or just barely past) the arrow, if you've noticed those, but infinity focus for me occurs around 5° (maybe a bit more) before that. I would estimate close focus around 6ft for me too, with no vision correction -- for most people, it's often closer than the stated figure. As for infinity, it doesn't matter how your example came to be this way, you should send it in to Leica for service; while at it they could check diopter calibration too. (None of that should require opening the bin so it shouldn't cost much.)

Last edited:
The BA series was introduced in 1990, and replaced by the BN one 2000.
It was in turn replaced by the Ultravid BR series in 2003.

The BN’s differed from the BA’s in that they focused closer (so N for Near?)
And after a bit of hunting around I found this comparison table at: Company Seven | Leica Binoculars Product Line Overview

BA vs BN minimum focus.jpg

The figures in meters may have been obtained by converting and rounding those in feet (?) So a slight discrepancy with Leica's own BN data.

John

It was in turn replaced by the Ultravid BR series in 2003.
Actually, Trinovid BNs continued to be sold (and shown in the catalog) alongside Ultravids for several more years, and then were discontinued. I've always wondered why. Surely not just remaining inventory?

I recently picked up a pair of Trinovid 10x32 BN's that appear to be mint and unused. Not a mark, scratch, or sign of use anywhere on them. Bought them to compare to a Hawke Frontier ED-X 10x32 I purchased previously. But I have a question on the focuser, and feel that it is defective. It's been 10 years or more since I bought and sold several BA's and BN's and don't remember them having the focuser like this one.
Focus is about 420 degrees total (1.2 turns) clockwise to infinity. It focuses at infinity when the focuser is turned to a dead stop at the end of clockwise rotation - no overtravel at all beyond. With absolutely no overtravel, it is impossible to tell if they could actually be focused sharper.

Am I correct in feeling that the focuser is supposed to have overtravel beyond infinity focus?

Tom
Bring a distant star into focus. The focus wheel should turn a bit beyond that star toward infinity. If not, I personally would regard the BNs as being out of adjustment.

There must have also been notable improvements in coatings with a decade in between introduction of the two variations. Very happy with my BN 8x32.
Definitely. At the minimum, the objective and occular coatings are slightly different colors between the BA's and BN's.

Hello Tom,

So I had this same exact problem with my 12x50 BN's that I have owned for about 22 years (bought new directly from Leica) hit the travel stop of the focuser but far focus never felt completely sharp. I did not do anything about it since my primary usage was wildlife and viewing terrestrial landscapes. In the last few years I have gotten back into astronomical viewing and it was much more of an issue and definitely not achieving sharp focus. My diopter was not centered from the factory either - and I noticed that one side could achieve sharp focus before the stop, with about 20° of extra rotation to the stop, while the other side would hit the stop before sharp focus.

Well, I finally sent them in to Leica to be checked out back in September and they corrected whatever was causing problems. Everything was covered under warranty so the only thing it cost me was shipping the binos to them. Now they are in perfect shape with centered diopter and about 20° rotation travel beyond the sharp focus point. Sharp focus is achieved when the dot is aligned with the arrow. No loss of near focus distance either which I was concerned might be sacrificed to allow the overtravel at the far focus.

If you don't have warranty coverage it could be a bit pricey to get them fixed by Leica.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back