• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA (999xxx) light reflections when looking through in daylight (1 Viewer)

rerelks

Switzerland
Hello, I am new to this forum and am impressed at the wealth of information available here. I've just bought a pair of great looking Trinovids 10x42 BA (serial 999xxx from 1989 I think) and I need your advice about an issue with light reflections when using the binoculars in daylight.

There is no dust or anything inside the lenses and no scratches. The image is very clear and crisp and focusing wheel works pretty well (there is a tiny tiny bit of lag when changing the direction of the rotation but really tiny). But I noticed that when I use them form inside my living room to look out the window the image is crisp and clear.

But when I go outside in daylight, the center image is focused and clear. However, the bottom edge semi-circle of the image is still quite clear, but it has a more milky hue. Something I do not see in the same lighting conditions with my other pair of Zeiss Victory Pocket I have. I aloso noticed that if I cup my hand in front of the other side of Trinovids while looking through them, as if to shade them from overhead light, that milky effect I see in the bottom semi-circle is greatly diminshed. So it's like there is too much light going in and it affects the bottom semi-circle of the image. Do you thinks this has to do with damaged coating or, worse, damaged internal lenses? Since I lack the right vocabulary to describe this I'm not sure whether what I write will be understandable, sorry for this. (I will use your replies to improve my vocabulary).

So, I'm hoping to find out whether this is a serious issue with the lenses or something that can be repaired without a huge cost (they cost me only about 260 EUR and esthetically it's a fine pair, no scratches on the armor, so I thought they were worth it especially since reading here a thread about old Trinovids being of superior quality, etc.). All advice greatly welcome, before deciding whether to send them to Leica for repair (I asked and the price for the reparation estimate will be 80 EUR).

Best regards !

Welcome to BirdForum! Search the forum for "veiling glare" and see whether descriptions that turn up match your experience. When you're indoors looking out, light is coming only from straight ahead; outside, from all around (a bright cloudy sky could be a problem). Some binoculars resist glare better than others (I don't know about these Trinovids) but this seems unlikely to be fixable, as does the tiny bit of slop in the focuser. You should make sure they have phase-coated prisms (introduced 1988) before considering service at further expense. 30+ year old binoculars can be beautiful but apart from personal taste/preference, aren't really competitive with modern ones optically due to advances in coatings, eyepiece design etc.

Oh thank you very much for your quick answer. I had a look and indeed it's what you refer to as veiling glare. Thank you very much for your advice.

Ok, I see. So you think they might improve the quality of the overall experience? I'll use them for a while and maybe have them sent for repairs. Our local Leica Store said the quote costs 80 EUR which is then deducted from the cost of reparations. I found this interesting testimonial with a price quote for a pretty battered pair of BNs: Sending Leicas For Repair . Mine are in great shape compared, the image is very crisp with no annoyances except for that veiling glare most of which disappears if I use my palm in front of the objectives to shade them. But regarding @tenex advice to find out wether this model (Trinovid 10x42 BA serial 999xxx) has phase coated prisms , so far I wasn't able to find a clear answer. Apparently it was not advertised for the Trinovid BA but present in 1991 (according to this thread: Leica BA-BN phase coating ?), but how can we know whether this was the case for my serial 999xxx which dates from 1989?
In any case, the image is very sharp, to my untrained eye anyways.

But regarding @tenex advice to find out wether this model (Trinovid 10x42 BA serial 999xxx) has phase coated prisms , so far I wasn't able to find a clear answer.
There is a test described in a forum thread that you can perform yourself, using polarized sunglasses and a computer monitor. Otherwise you may need to ask Leica directly about this serial number. A 10x model without phase coatings would be noticeably less sharp and not something I'd care to restore and use, unless they still have and propose to install phase-coated prisms.

I believe that the Leica Trinovids BA series (the brick) had phase coatings since inception in the mid 90s.
I take it these are made by Leitz.

Last edited:
Hello, thank you dries1. My model having serial 999xxx it's from 1989 so I gather they might not have phase-coating? I'll go by the Leica Store soon and ask them and will post back here when I have their answer.

All Leica Trinovid BA's were phase coated.
Trinovid Ultra BAs were only introduced in 1990 (with P coatings of course) and I doubt very much they would show this degree of veiling glare. The OP hasn't described his model or posted a photo, so I didn't assume it was an Ultra.

Trinovid Ultra BAs were only introduced in 1990 (with P coatings of course) and I doubt very much they would show this degree of veiling glare. The OP hasn't described his model or posted a photo, so I didn't assume it was an Ultra.
I did not think the pre 1990 Trinovid were called BA's .Indeed the The BA's or the later Bn's were never called Ultra's in England.
Correct me if I am wrong of course.
Peter.

I did not think the pre 1990 Trinovid were called BA's .Indeed the The BA's or the later BN's were never called Ultra's in England.
I've never heard any of them called Ultra's, so maybe it's a behind the scenes thing, like the unofficial Retrovid naming.

1. Armored pre-1990 Trinovids were also called "BA" as shown in the link above or other examples on the web.
2. The OP has twice said he thinks his bin dates from 1989.
3. The new series in 1990 were called "Trinovid Ultra" to distinguish them from earlier models; the "Ultra" was soon dropped so some may never have heard it. They were all armored, hence BA not just B.
4. The "Leitz" name was changed to "Leica" in 1986, so presumably the OP's bin does say "Leica" as he reported in the thread title, but they were still making the old style Trinovids at the time and his could be one of the last.
5. An Ultra definitely should not show the kind of glare the OP described.

So whether this bin is an Ultra (and therefore has phase coatings) can be confirmed by the OP posting a photo.
If it's the earlier model, whether it has phase coatings can be confirmed by Leica from the serial number.

I do think that covers it now, pending further information from the OP.

Last edited:
1. Armored pre-1990 Trinovids were also called "BA" as shown in the link above or other examples on the web.
3. The new series in 1990 were called "Trinovid Ultra" to distinguish them from earlier models; the "Ultra" was soon dropped so some may never have heard it. They were all armored, hence BA not just B.
4. The "Leitz" name was changed to "Leica" in 1986, so presumably the OP's bin does say "Leica" as he reported in the thread title, but they were still making the old style Trinovids at the time and his could be one of the last.
It's helpful to see it spelled out again, and I may even remember some of this next time around.

New member may not ever come back to finish the thread, but it would have been more helpful if they'd posted even just one picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back