• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA (999xxx) light reflections when looking through in daylight (1 Viewer)

Hmm... Uppendahl Trinovid models I see on the web are 6x24 (discontinued 1964), 7x35, 8x32, 8x40, 10x40, and 7x42... a curious variety of objective sizes by today's standards. And apparently no 10x42, so if the OP is right about that he's wrong about the date, it has to be an Ultra (phase coated) and if it has this degree of glare there must indeed be something very wrong with it.

Hmm... Uppendahl Trinovid models I see on the web are 6x24 (discontinued 1964), 7x35, 8x32, 8x40, 10x40, and 7x42... a curious variety of objective sizes by today's standards. And apparently no 10x42, so if the OP is right about that he's wrong about the date, it has to be an Ultra (phase coated) and if it has this degree of glare there must indeed be something very wrong with it.
And hello:
not much of a serial-mystery: production of the 'brick' started in '89. Serialnumber corresponds with a scheme somewhere else on this fantastic forum. So far so good besides the flare.
Ed.

So am I. A single photo would answer this as mentioned six days ago, but still none. What is OP's 1989 date based on? Were Ultras introduced in 1989 or 1990 -- John, anybody? Serial number scheme where? I should never have mentioned P-coatings. No point continuing to go on about this in this fashion.

So am I. A single photo would answer this as mentioned six days ago, but still none. What is OP's 1989 date based on? Were Ultras introduced in 1989 or 1990 -- John, anybody? Serial number scheme where? I should never have mentioned P-coatings. No point continuing to go on about this in this fashion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-212738.png
    Screenshot_20221213-212738.png
    202 KB · Views: 19
Sorry for not being able to place text along with the screenshot from some thread - hope I m not violating any rules here ..
Regards,
Ed.

Thanks! It's certainly possible to do both at once, but I've seen others fail to manage it, or even to reply below quoted text. Maybe less obvious on a phone?

Oh, soooo sorry to you all for not having posted a picture earlier! After the initial first exchanges I somehow never got notified on my email about all the subsequent useful and interesting posts. So I have only just seen your replies because I checked my account after posting a new thread about a pair of 8x30W Habichts I've bought.

Here is a picture of the Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA I have. I now use with paper sunshades I scotch taped myself like here: I find this hack somewhat reduces the glare I wrote about. Also, I went to a Leica store in Geneva and they said they could send them for inspection then service but that they thought the optical condition was pretty good, so I saved on the minimum fare of about CHF 80 which was the minimum of what it would have cost me to have someone look at them.

leica-trinovid-10x42-ba.jpeg

Here is a tip, try to view the binoculars from the objective lens through the ocular lens at a light bulb about two feet away. If it is crisp and clean with no blemishes then it is clean.

Here is a tip, try to view the binoculars from the objective lens through the ocular lens at a light bulb about two feet away. If it is crisp and clean with no blemishes then it is clean.
Hi Dries1, thank you. the optics are very clean and crisp. The question raised by fellow members here was whether this Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA most likely from 1989 had P coating or not.

Last edited:
Hi Dries1, thank you. the optics are very clean and crisp. The question raised by fellow members here was whether this Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA most likely from 1989 had P coating or not.
I saw the pic and own about 5 ba-bns and very familiar with them. These quite often contain off gas residue inside the objectives, which can affect the viewing, many do not notice it in normal viewing. That is why I suggested to check.
It appears that the IPD may be off when viewing, the eye cups do not quite fit your facial features, or you have a dud, there are a few out there.
Just to reiterate from an earlier post the BA Leica " bricks" are phase coated.

Last edited:
I saw the pic and own about 5 ba-bns and very familiar with them. These quite often contain off gas residue inside the objectives, which can affect the viewing, many do not notice it in normal viewing. That is why I suggested to check.
It appears that the IPD may be off when viewing, the eye cups do not quite fit your facial features, or you have a dud, there are a few out there.
Just to reiterate from an earlier post the BA Leica " bricks" are phase coated.
Ok, great thanks a lot: so they are phase coated. If they are duds (as in fakes?) they look like a very good fake as the feel and look great. You're right, if I adjust them better over my eyes the glare goes away somewhat. If i bend my head a little it also goes away to a certain extent.

I used the wrong term dud. what I meant was a possible construction fault in the optical system. No they are not fakes, they are the real deal.
Spend some time with the glass, finding the best placement of the ocular to your eyes.
It might not be a bad idea to get them serviced though.
Enjoy the glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back