• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica Trinovid BA 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

How usable are these for spectacle wearers ? I know the listed eye relief is about 14mm. Sometimes that's ok for me. Any glasses wearers tried them ? I tried them a few years ago and don't remember a big issue but it was a while ago and I wasn't thinking of buying so didn't pay too much attention.

dwatsonbirder

I suspect that will depend upon the shape of your face and also what style of glasses you wear. I wear rather thick rimmed glasses and for me the eye relief wasn't sufficient. The handling and optics are great, and if there was a way to extend the eye relief I'd still be using them. Alas this is not the case and I have been the proud owner of a SLC 7x42 ever since I sold them.
It appears that there were a couple of different shaped eyecups - some which are squared off and others which are more rounded - as can be seen on a Google search but I am unsure whether or not this makes a difference to eye relief. On a side note I found that I could see the full field of view with a friends ultravid BL, but not on a BR/HD, must be th case there are several different designs in operation in the Leica line.

Try before you buy is probably the best advice!

John Frink

Leica 8x32BA eye relief

How usable are these for spectacle wearers ?

I wear spectacles, and I prefer binoculars that have a published eye relief specification of 16mm or more; the eye relief of the original Leica Trinovid 8x32BA (Uppendahl prisms) is not quite enough for me to visualize the hard edge of the field stop; the Trinovid Ultra 8x32BN (hockey puck) on the other hand, works well for me, and its compact size and ergonomics make it one of my favorites. The Ultravid 8x32HD works just as well for me as the BN, and it's a favorite as well.

Hope this helps.

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
How usable are these for spectacle wearers ? I know the listed eye relief is about 14mm. Sometimes that's ok for me. Any glasses wearers tried them ? I tried them a few years ago and don't remember a big issue but it was a while ago and I wasn't thinking of buying so didn't pay too much attention.

The answer depends, in part, on your eyeglass prescription. Other factors being equal, negative prescription lenses, (for near-sighted people), are generally more forgiving with regard to eye relief.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread