• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid hd 8x32 vs Swarovski Habicht 8x30 vs Nikon 8x30 e2 (1 Viewer)

Attr

Hi all, this is my first post on this site although I’ve been a long time reader.

Im looking to buy an all round pair of binoculars and have whittled it down to the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 or the Leica trinovid hd 8x32. I know these particular models have been discussed a million times but I would like to get some clear opinions on optical abilities of these three comparatively.

I’ve owned some Nikon 10x35 e2’s before as well as Leica 10x25’s and canon 10x30 is mk 2’s if anybody wants to relate there answers back to these that would be great as they serve as my reference and are the only really decent binoculars I’ve ever looked through. Except old Zeiss, a few shop demo’s and budget models.

I would love to get the Nikon 8x30 e2’s as I know these are fantastic, my 10x35’s certainly were but I sold them as not rugged enough and not waterproof. Would the Leica trinovid HD’s be a disappointment? Optically speaking? The Porro options punch so far above there weight and have such an immersive experience will I get that with the Leica’s?

Perhaps an old pair of 8x32bn or ba and save some money but surely despite what people say about these the newer trinovid HD’s must be optically an improvement?

Any opinions would be much appreciated before I lay down hard earned cash.

Cheers all

Last edited:
It seems that your real desire is to buy another bin without knowing what you are looking for (i.e. what deficiency of your current bins you are trying to solve). Your past bins are a heterogeneous lot, so don't provide much to go on to understand your preferences. I advise you not deny yourself the fun of trying these models for yourself, and I think it is the only reasonable basis on which you should make a decision.

--AP

Hi,

Thanks for the reply’s, I think Alexis is right I’m looking to buy another bin but not totally sure what I want. I think what I’m looking for is something portable, waterproof and durable but with the optical quality and satisfaction of the Nikon 10x35 eii. I would love to try all the bins but unfortunately this isn’t possible especially considering the times we live in. I want something I can carry with me more and therefore use more, the Leica trinni HD’s seem to fit the bill for toughness, water resistant, portability and probably optical abilities but without actually ever looking through a pair or the older versions I’m not sure. Porros have a certain quality I expect roofs might struggle to achieve at this price point hence my consideration of the Swarovskis however are they gonna be portable enough probably not, there not really pocketable!

The 10x25’s I have are certainly pocketable but not so good when the light fades and I find eye placement critical and hard to hold still. Optically there pretty good and are what led me to getting the Nikon’s, ie I wanted a bigger pair but that wouldn’t disappoint optically when compared back to the little leica’s. The Nikon’s in my opinion were better than the little leica’s (obviously a very different binocular) but I always felt like I had to baby them and rarely took them anywhere because of this and there size, hence why I sold them.

What I’m hoping is someone can tell me how they think the trinovid HD’s 8x32 compare to the Nikon’s? Also maybe size wise whether the 8x42 versions are that much bigger? It’s hard to find a picture that’s shows the difference. I’m looking at the 8x size so I can hold them steadier. Another consideration is the smallish field of view. Perhaps if I was sensible I would get some conquest HD’s instead but I also like the look of the leica’s, I know this shouldn’t be a factor but let’s face it for many it is.

Plenty of other options. Save your money for the time being and wait for the Zeiss 8x32 SF. That's what I'd do at the moment.

Or try to find yourself a Nikon 8x32 SE in good condition. Smaller field of view than the 8x30 E2s but even better optics IMO.

Hermann

Hi Herman

The Zeiss fl’s would be nice but are nearly triple my budget! I could save a bit more I suppose. As for the 8x32se’s I think I could be waiting for a long time to find some. Any other options you would recommend?

The Zeiss fl’s would be nice but are nearly triple my budget!

I was actually thinking of the new Zeiss 8x32 SF rather than the FL.

I could save a bit more I suppose. As for the 8x32se’s I think I could be waiting for a long time to find some. Any other options you would recommend?

Difficult. Maybe a Meopta? Like the 8x32 B1? That's pretty nice, rugged and not that expensive. One of the sleepers of the optics world.

But if you've got a working pair now, I'd definitely wait and see what the new Zeiss will be like. And if it is as good as Zeiss says I'd save until I can afford it.

Hermann

You have choices, and the ones you mention first off are all different. I own models of all 3, and I find
the roof prism choice is better all around.
The Leica 8x32 is a very good choice, I have a Trinovid 8x32 BN, and it could easily serve anyone for
many years. The Swarovski Habicht and the Nikon 8x32 EII are very good, so you could easily get one
and use with pleasure. Any of these binoculars hold their value well used, so that is good if you decide
to change to something else.
I own a Victory SF 10x42, and I suppose the 8x32 will be coming soon and will be good, but I would not
wait for it. It seems way over your budget anyway.
Good luck.
Jerry

I can't comment about the Trinovid HD series, not having looked through them, but if you found the 10x35 EII not robust enough, the 8x30 version will almost certainly be the same. When I tried both the 8x30 EII (100th anniversary version) and the 8x30 Habicht at Birdfair a couple years back I found the latter much more to my liking, but I needed the EII to focus further beyond infinity to compensate for the glasses I normally wear than it was able to - which may not be an issue for you. The Habicht is waterproof and considered a tougher product, and the rubber armoured version (unfortunately no longer made) in particular does give the appearance of being a sturdy little binocular. I'm sure even the classic leatherette version of the Habicht will stand up to poor weather better than the EII, but if there is a real chance it will have to take knocks, you'll have more peace of mind with something rubber-armoured. I would hate myself if I dinged the beautiful black polished finish of the classic Habicht objective rings...

It looks as though you might have found 10x mag too shaky, hence your dropping down to 8x. 8x30/32 should serve the more general observer very well, but unless weight/bulk is an extreme concern it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with some decent to good quality 8x42s just to get a sense of how the x42s compare to 8x32 under different viewing conditions, and whether any optical advantage you perceive is worth the extra ounces. Some 8x42 models are very compact and light (Opticron's version of the Tract Toric is one such - it's field of view is narrow, but wide field + good optical quality = expensive). The Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 is pretty handy too, I thought.

In summation the more experience you can acquire behind various binoculars, the more knowledge you will have when the time comes for you to shell out your hard earned cash. If you don't need a binocular urgently, it may be a good idea to wait for the current madness to subside in order to properly "try before you buy".

PS. I'm not at all sure the general observer will find modern roofs to be as outperformed by porros to anything like the extent some claim they are. The days when porros were better than roofs simply because they were porros are long gone.

Last edited:
I agree with Hermann that Meopta's B1.1 MeoStar 8x32 is a prime candidate for this job.

It is alpha quality but for less money. I own and use Trinovid HD 8x32 and its a good bino but I use if mainly for its close focus capability. The Meopta has a much better fov and IMHO a more immersive view.

If you were to ask me to choose between the MeoStar and Conquest HD 8x32 I would find that very hard and on different days would choose either. The Conquest has a faster focus than the MeoStar which some will prefer while others would choose the slower Meopta.

Lee

The Meopta seems to be quite a bit dearer in the UK than the Trinovid, or Conquest HD. Great looking bins though.

Rich

Yes. Meopta recently acquired a new UK importer, RUAG, and at the moment while MeoStar 42mm prices are similar to Conquest HD, the 32mm are significantly more expensive. I have no inside information on this but it could be down to the quantities of the models that RUAG has been able to buy with the during the disruption caused by Coronavirus.

Lee

I've had the Trinovid HD 8x32 for about a year and recently acquired Swaro Companion CL 8x30 (first gen).
Both are very worthy considerations.
The biggest difference is that the HD is larger than the CL or the 8x32 BA. Think of it as halfway between 8x32 and 8x42. I like how it fits in the hand, and since I always wear a bino harness the increased bulk matters not to me.
Brightness and edge sharpness, the CL gets a nod.
Eyecup adjustment goes to HD with five or six specific click/indents versus just twist up or down until you think you have it right.
Focusers equal
Ruggedness IMHO goes to HD with its softer armor. Though I baby all my binoculars.
With reasonable care either should last a lifetime or more.
Hope that helps.
~ Foss

How about these new Zeiss 8x32 FL's for $1500.00(free UK delivery and VAT included). It is better than anything you are looking at and considerably cheaper than the new Zeiss SF 8x32. These are the 2nd best 8x32's made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Vict...780396?hash=item1f0b8d10ac:g:xQsAAOSwb55eS~mC
https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html

Note to the OP -- Attr...

If you do go for the eBay FLs, and I think they are asking more than you wanted to pay (but see last paragraph below), just note that the following notes in the accompanying eBay information are a bit misleading, not that it need matter for most viewing. I barely notice it and it doesn't detract from my viewing.

"When focusing upon a flat subject, the image is as sharp at the edges of the enormous viewing field as it is at the center..." No, that's stretching the sharpness literally too far. Still a great view though!

Also they are wrong to say that the 32mm FLs have Abbe-König prisms; they have Schmidt-Pechan prisms to keep the size compact (32s are in a compactness-conscious sector). It's 42mm and above in the FL range that had A-K prisms (I say 'had' because they are all discontinued and I expect the 32s soon will be too).

Good luck in your searching! As Dennis says, the 8x32 FL is still a highly respected bin, judging by comments over the years on this Forum. I bought one from another BF member and it's excellent. Another bonus point is that there is a Zeiss service agency in England: Gary Hawkins at East Coast Binocular Repairs in Norfolk. I left my own 8x32 FL there for a tune-up and it came back from Zeiss in Germany only a few weeks later. If you are pondering prices and costs, it's worth knowing that the Zeiss guarantee means you don't pay for any service or repairs. (To give another example, my 1999 Dialyt 7x42 ClassiC was also serviced free of charge 20 years after it was manufactured.)

Tom

Last edited:
Just throwing another choice into the mix - the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30. A step up, build-wise, and optically (according to most), from the "standard" Monarch, and a very nice, compact and relatively light package. Mind you, the Swaro CL Companion 8x30 got my vote (and my money) about 18 months ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back