• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid HD + vs vortex razor (1 Viewer)

golfbum

Comparing these two pairs and don’t see as much difference as I thought I might? I am far from an optic expert but thought the Ultravids would be a lot better then the razors. In most cases my eyes just don’t see that much difference. I do find the Leica’s to be a little brighter in low light but I’m not sure my eyes can justify the cost. Am I Crazy??!!

Thoughts on either pair?

Just curious if you are comparing to the Razor HD or HD+. The HD+ are reported to be a noticeable improvement, and I would be interested to hear about this comparison.

You're not crazy. The difference between a really good ~$1000 binocular like the Razor HD and a really good ~$2000 binocular like the Ultravid HD is fairly minimal, especially to a casual observer. And the Razor HD is one of the best ~$1000 binoculars.

Thinking a ~$2000 binocular will be "a lot better" than a ~$1000 binocular is an unrealistic expectation. Diminishing returns :)

Just curious if you are comparing to the Razor HD or HD+. The HD+ are reported to be a noticeable improvement, and I would be interested to hear about this comparison.
These are the Japan made regular razor hd not the uhd and the Leica Ultravid hd plus

To be clear, HD vs HD+ is the Leica Ultravid branding. There is no Vortex HD+.

The Vortex branding is HD vs UHD, with the HD being the older design (similar chassis to the Tract Toric and Zeiss Conquest HD) and the UHD being a larger, AK prism design like the Maven B2.

The Razor UHD has fabulous optics, very much on par with alphas, however it's large and ungainly and has a very slow focus, all of which make it impractical as an everyday birding glass.

My mistake on terminology, I have been a bit immersed in Leica products lately, but I very much appreciate the description of the difference between the Razor HD and UHD.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back