• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultrvid HD Plus for eyeglass wearers? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

To all the owners out there with the current model of Leica Ultravid HD Plus, in the 10 x 42, with the 16mm eye relief, is that enough with glasses to get full view?
I would appreciate comments from these owners that wear glasses!

Thanks
Michael

For me, the 10x42 works, but it works „soso“, ER is a tiny bit bit too tight to have a fully comfortable viewing experience when wearing glasses (the same size Victory SF shows how nicely it could work with a bit more ER).

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Canip said, it's tight. For me it's a no-go. BUT there are lots of 10X42s that DO work....Noctivid, SV, FL, HT, Conquest HD, SF, and I'm sure there are others.

I'm not an owner of any Leica, but have tried most of them at exhibitions and think the only two Ultravids that would be universally acceptable to glasses wearers are the 7x42 and 8x50. I'm sure Chuck (chill6x6) who owns both would agree.
However, if you have a negative correction (near-sighted) the 16 mm of the 10x42 might just be enough.

John

PS: Chuck beat me to it while I was posting :).

I'm not an owner of any Leica, but have tried most of them at exhibitions and think the only two Ultravids that would be universally acceptable to glasses wearers are the 7x42 and 8x50. I'm sure Chuck (chill6x6) who owns both would agree.
However, if you have a negative correction (near-sighted) the 16 mm of the 10x42 might just be enough.

John

PS: Chuck beat me to it while I was posting :).
HAHA!

Yes...for sure the 7X42 and 8X50 UV models are excellent for eyeglass wearers. I don't have any problems with the 8X42s either.
Included a couple of Leica pics...

fullsizeoutput_13b9.jpeg

073AADCB-C223-40EF-90F4-6712B4FDD2AB.jpeg

Michael,
I have two UVHD+ models (7x42 and 10x50), and I wear glasses. While I haven’t looked through the 10x42UVHD+ with its 16mm of ER, my 10x50UVHD+ has 15mm of ER, and that is the minimum acceptable for me. I have the eyescups placed at the lowest setting and it’s perfect with glasses. The 7x42 are 17mm, and I move the eyecups up one click.

By my estimation the 10x42 with 16mm of ER would work (for me). Of course, it all depends on each individual’s anatomy and how deep set your eyes are, as well as how far your glasses sit from your orbital bone.
I did try the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ and neither of them would work for me with my glasses at 13mm ER. So, in my case the 15mm is MY minimum ER for this range with glasses.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back