• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica upgrade Trinovid BA's vs. Ultravid HD's. (1 Viewer)

handwerk

I have been enjoying my Trinovid BA 8x32 for many years, but have a chance to buy some Ultravid 8x42 HD's for $500 more than I will get for the Trinovids if I choose to sell them.
I understand the physical differences and exit pupil between the two, leading to likely much better light gathering of the 42mm Ultravids, but in typical daylight use will the Ultravid bring me a big improvement optically? The main use of these is around the house and on hikes, for more serious work I have swaro 8.5x42 SV's as well as 12x50 SV's.
Thanks

etc

I think the 8x42 configuration is way more practical than any 8x32. Easier to hold, bigger exit pupil size. Gather more light. Not sure of FOV is affected. A 8x42 Leica is still pretty compact.

I think 32mm should have a max power of 7x, IMO.
8x42 is my favorite all purpose configuration, in any brand. It's not really about the Trinovid vs Ultravid.

eitanaltman

I have been enjoying my Trinovid BA 8x32 for many years, but have a chance to buy some Ultravid 8x42 HD's for $500 more than I will get for the Trinovids if I choose to sell them.
I understand the physical differences and exit pupil between the two, leading to likely much better light gathering of the 42mm Ultravids, but in typical daylight use will the Ultravid bring me a big improvement optically? The main use of these is around the house and on hikes, for more serious work I have swaro 8.5x42 SV's as well as 12x50 SV's.
Thanks
Yes, the Ultravid HD is better optically because the glass and coatings have improved since the BA. The fundamentals are the same, same basic optical design, but the UV HD will be brighter, more neutral, with more “sparkle”, and a bit less color fringing.

Also of course going from an 8x32 to an 8x42 will mean easier eye positioning / eye comfort and superior low light performance.

That said, if these are a backup / hiking binocular, will the upgrade be worth it for a larger, heavier binocular? Here’s a photo of my 7x42 UVHD vs 8x32 BA for size comparison:

1617982873011.png

I really wouldn’t consider either of those to be “hiking binos”. The UVHD is compact for a 42mm but it’s still over 750g, And the Trinovid, while compact, is quite chunky and heavy for a 32mm at ~640g.

quincy88

Oh man. I'm sure that optically the 8x42s would be an upgrade for all the reasons already posted here. But wow, I don't think I would be able to part with those Trinovids. They look like a beautiful tank. Especially the ones in eitanaltman's photo with the shiny rubber and the scratched up badge from years of use. Thanks for the photo eitanaltman.

tenex

reality-based
handwerk, of course there are improvements in coatings with a newer bin, and UVHDs (non +) are a good buy today... but your BAs are already very good and Leicas' basic optical characteristics are still very similar. And after all these years, and without forseeing more use in low light, and having also EL 42, why would you want to switch to 8x42 rather than looking for another 32?

By the way, I experienced a problem with insufficient eyecup depth on 42mm UVs, so if you don't wear glasses watch out for that possibility. And HDs were still available in green if that matters to you...

SeldomPerched

Oh man. I'm sure that optically the 8x42s would be an upgrade for all the reasons already posted here. But wow, I don't think I would be able to part with those Trinovids. They look like a beautiful tank. Especially the ones in eitanaltman's photo with the shiny rubber and the scratched up badge from years of use. Thanks for the photo eitanaltman.
Quincy, I'm convinced that good photos always look much better than the object itself... luckily for the marketing folks!

eitanaltman

Ha, they look way more shiny in the photo than in real life; I took it with my phone and had to mess w the levels because it was too dark, and the ended up making it look a little glossy :D

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I can add to the discussion, I have a 8x32 Trinovid BN, I find it a very nice binocular and very friendly. I have also owned the
Leica UVHD, 8x42, it is very nice also, brighter and a good choice, I sold it to my brother.

I also own the SV 8.5x42, and it is another better level higher, so I do feel you should just stay where you are.
Keep the Leica 8x32, it is smaller and fits well, but it is fun to try all sizes, so good luck in whatever you decide.
Be sure to give us an update.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread