• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz Trinovid 8x40B (1 Viewer)

kim840

Some Leitz Trinovid 8x40B that I bought on eBay arrived today after a rather nervous 1-2 week wait. The listing was a bit vague and the photos not the best and I began to regret spending the $US300 thinking they’d at least have some fungus and would be generally unusable.

It turns out that they are virtually mint, so I am quite stunned at my luck. The glass is clean and they’re aren’t any marks on them. There is even the original instructions. The only issue I can find is that right rubber eyecup screws off along with rear element and the ring with serial number on it.The serial number is 725824 which I think means they were made just after the 8x40B was introduced sometime in 1968, according to John A. Roberts’ thread.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370117

They are quite good to look through. The FOV is great, but they don’t have the resolution or saturation of my other far newer but very modest binoculars. I’ll post some photos tomorrow.

Did these ever have lens caps?

Hi,

These were never supplied with lens caps although a rubber rainguard was (and still may be) available as an extra.

Gary.

Congratulations on your new purchase. When I handled the "Retrovid" version earlier this year I loved how they pointed and how they felt in the hand. Leitz certainly got quite a few things right with them, over fifty years ago...

NB. what binoculars did you end up using on your boat, and what do you use them for - purely for navigation or for other jobs such as fishing?

Pardon me for having taken so long to post back here. These Trinovids are stunningly good. They seem to have a larger depth of field compared to my other more modern binoculars so they don't snap into focus as much.

I can't post photos so here is an link to a photo. I''ll post some more when I can post them as attachments- I assuming that some others enjoy looking at pictures of binoculars as much as I do. The binoculars seem perfect to me, apart from some very slight distortion to the eyecups. That mark on the bottom left was just a bit of dust.

https://i.imgur.com/h8vSWvi.jpg

Hi,

I just checked the serial number.

Your binocular was manufactured in 1969.

Gary.

Thanks for that Gary.

Congratulations on your new purchase. When I handled the "Retrovid" version earlier this year I loved how they pointed and how they felt in the hand. Leitz certainly got quite a few things right with them, over fifty years ago...

NB. what binoculars did you end up using on your boat, and what do you use them for - purely for navigation or for other jobs such as fishing?

Thanks Patudo. Given my modest means, they'll be the only pair of Leitz/Leicas I will ever own.

I need binoculars so I can see the navigation markers before I'm too close to them. I'm waiting on a pair of Fujinon 8x32 HS that I hope with be perfect on the boat.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3216981

Hi Kim - thanks for the photo. It's in beautiful condition externally (hopefully internally too).

Regarding the 8x32s you ordered - I've spent a fair amount of time on small boats (40 ft and smaller) as well as plenty of time with 8x32 binoculars. Unless you've already tried an 8x32 on your vessel and am happy with it - in which case you should disregard the following - I would be cautious about recommending that format to a boat owner. There is more - not a great deal more, but noticeably so - shake with 8x, and anything with a 4mm exit pupil is going to be more finicky with regard to eye placement. Both these issues are amplified on a boat and, having tried 8x30s on a boat myself, I've found them very jouncy unless it's calm.

You've mentioned being unhappy with a Pentax 7x50 - this is the standard format for marine use, so it would be interesting to know why you don't get along with it? I've read somewhere that 6x30 was recommended by the Coast Guard for small boat use, and although 6x mag has always seemed a little underpowered for birding, I suppose if you're already familiar with where markers, buoys, and other boats ought to be, and are proceeding slowly so you have a fair amount of time to find them, they'd be fine. I know from experience a 5mm exit pupil is more comfortable than a 4mm at sea, but the 7mm that the 7x50 gives you is better yet. Something image stabilized would probably be best of all - marine use (finding birds) is one key reason I'm saving the pennies for one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back