• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens mount on a telephoto lens (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

Looking at the photos on a long lens mount with bumps at certain intervals I'm confused. I can't tell how this will mount on my tri-pod. I'll attach a photo to explain what I mean. Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Dana

Do you mean the tripod foot on lenses like this?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-50-500mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-nikon-fit/p1519635

Most longer lenses come with them, or they are available as an accessory. They are usually removable too, if hand-held work is preferred.

They usually have a 1/4" tripod thread in the base, and sometimes two on larger, heavier lenses. 1/4" is the standard camera mounting thread on most scopes, camera bodies and lenses. It's normal to mount the camera lens foot onto a quick release plate, which in-turn fits into a Q/R adaptor/clamp fitted to the tripod head, for speedy connection & removal.

The ridges or bumps on the model in the link are finger-shaped, and double up as an optional carry handle.

Last edited:
Do you mean the tripod foot on lenses like this?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-50-500mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-nikon-fit/p1519635

Most longer lenses come with them, or they are available as an accessory. They are usually removable too, if hand-held work is preferred.

They usually have a 1/4" tripod thread in the base, and sometimes two on larger, heavier lenses. 1/4" is the standard camera mounting thread on most scopes, camera bodies and lenses. It's normal to mount the camera lens foot onto a quick release plate, which in-turn fits into a Q/R adaptor/clamp fitted to the tripod head, for speedy connection & removal.

The ridges or bumps on the model in the link are finger-shaped, and double up as an optional carry handle.

That's exactly the type of mount I was referring to. That's great the lens will fit on my Manfrotto tripod with a 501HDV or 128RC head. The ridges really threw me off there, never thought of them as a way to hold the mount.

You even picked the lens I'm thinking about buying in your example :) I just need to rent one first to make sure I like it.

Thanks!

Dana

Budgie ... those bumps/ridges you see on the lens mounting foot are so you can carry it comfortably in tha hand (if you wish) when you remove the lens from the tripod

Budgie ... those bumps/ridges you see on the lens mounting foot are so you can carry it comfortably in tha hand (if you wish) when you remove the lens from the tripod

Thanks Musoman,

Now that I have a tri-pod bracket on it's pretty uncomfortable. I could remove the tri-pod bracket but don't want to strip the metal in the screw hole by removing it and putting it back on so many times. I need to figure out something to slide over the whole thing and make it comfortable again.

See ya,

Dana

I wouldn't worry too much about stripping the tripod mount hole on the lens collar...they're made of real steel/metal, and can withstand tons of threading and unthreading, as long as you don't misalign it when you try to screw it in. I've threaded and unthreaded a tripod plate from my Tamron 200-500 for over 4 years now nearly every weekend for most of those years, and it's still perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back