• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Oscar56

Although I have had feeders for over 30 years I only started birding last spring after a trip to Yucatan. My life list is very short but that leaves lots of room to build upon.

I do enjoy heading out with just my binos, note book and iPhone apps; nice and light. Then I see some of the photos posted here and start thinking about photography again.

My equipment: Nikon D7000; with Nikor 18-200 f 3.5-5.6 G ED.

I need to get out and get some practice with the above combination but I am looking for reasonably priced lens additions for capturing birds. Hand held solutions preferred, used or new equipment, 3rd party or Nikor.

Thanks in advance, Grant

...... I am looking for reasonably priced lens ......

What is your definition of reasonably priced?
A budget house number will help with meaningful suggestions.

Not as good as the current Sigma/Tamron 200-600 Superzooms but more common in the 2nd hand market are the Sigma 50-500 (with or without OS) and the Sigma 150-500.

What is your definition of reasonably priced?
A budget house number will help with meaningful suggestions.

Not as good as the current Sigma/Tamron 200-600 Superzooms but more common in the 2nd hand market are the Sigma 50-500 (with or without OS) and the Sigma 150-500.

I think my limit is in the $2,000 CAD range or $1,500 USD. The new Nikon 200-500mm looks interesting @$1,600 CAD but Seems to be selling out quickly.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back