• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Canada Goose - Cornwall, UK (1 Viewer)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
Not one to get too excited about in terms of natural vagrancy but Would appreciate any thoughts on this Lesser type Canada Goose at Drift Reservoir on Dec 12th.
Apparently (although i never realised at the time) it has been present for a few months and is supposedly just a small female Canada Goose B.c canadensis ?...Apparently several other birders have independently flagged it up (as a Cackler) and also been told the same thing....

Well it isn't a Cackling Goose but surely it's one of the smaller Canada Geese isn't it, parvipes perhaps?

In direct comparison it differed from the Canada's by:
* being slightly smaller (but still obviously so) with a thinner neck and slightly boxy head (steeper forehead).
* darker breast.
* had a thinner, more backward pointing face patch (which appeared slightly dusky rather than white in certain light).

If this was a just a small female Canada Goose then why aren't i seeing anything remotely like this in any of my local feral Canada flocks?!

Cheers...

Attachments

• DSC02887 (1024x670).jpg
    DSC02887 (1024x670).jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02888 (1024x728).jpg
    DSC02888 (1024x728).jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02889 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC02889 (1024x768).jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02892 (1024x760).jpg
    DSC02892 (1024x760).jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02893 (1024x738).jpg
    DSC02893 (1024x738).jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 47
In November 1992 I found the neck collared Canada Goose 6TU2 up at the Kinord area. Interestingly enough, it was identified by others as Parvipes. I wrote to the ringers to confirm this. Unfortunately, they were unable to do this due to indentification overlap. I notified the relevant people. I note from the BOURC's 39th Report of 2010, they too also query the subs' identification. So if you cannot categorically identify this sub-species, I would not worry about it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2010.01081.x/pdf

Regards

Malky

Last edited:
Thanks Malky,

They aren't easy, and Identification of such types will always involve a certain amount of (educated) guesswork and subjectivity.I'm not even 100% sure if parvipes is even recognized now? but after a quick look at Reeber it doesn't look a million miles away.....

I'd actually be quite happy with folk agreeing that it doesn't look like 'just a small female Canada Goose' to be honest! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back