• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lesser flamingo (Merja Zerga) Morocco (1 Viewer)

jynxtorquilla

Hi everybody,
The last friday (8 april) I got the chance to see the scarce lesser flamingo Phoenicopeterus minor in the famous Merja Zerga lagoon (Noth-West of Morocco). I saw two birds with a flock of Grater flamingos (Phenicopterus ruber).
In fact, the lesser flamingo is an accidental visitor in the contry. It is the first time that I observe this species. For that, I wonder
if they come from the European Zoo or if they come from Western Africa close to the shore to Morocco. Knowing that There are some previous observations in Souss-Massa estuary somes others wetland in the south and even in Merja Zerga.

screaming piha

jynxtorquilla said:
I wonder if they come from the European Zoo or if they come from Western Africa close to the shore to Morocco. Knowing that There are some previous observations in Souss-Massa estuary somes others wetland in the south and even in Merja Zerga.

Hi Jynx

Great bird to see in WP.

I have seen Lesser Flamingo wild in Mauritania and escaped in UK. I would hve thought that Moroccan birds would be most likely wild, especially considering the distances flamingoes cover when they wander around Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread