• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Scotland? (1 Viewer)

This seems to be getting a bit confused. People are responding to someone's comments from 2013. Unless and until the picture is shared there's probably little point in speculating.
Ha ha yes. Oops!

Wonder why I missed it in 2013? Maybe because someone else answered the point anyway, which I also missed this time. Doh.

John

If Lesser Spotted Woodpecker occurs in that region, surely the starting point is the “local” county annual report ?
It should record the presence, if nothing else.

If Lesser Spotted Woodpecker occurs in that region, surely the starting point is the “local” county annual report ?
The nearest record I know of was May/June 1980 in Speyside. A single observer (J. P. Grant) heard & saw it on 2 dates. No one else did and I don't know if it was accepted. It's in the 1980 SBR. There was one on Shetland in 2012.

They aren't known to be resident anywhere in Scotland, but there have been three records in Shetland in the last few years of migrants.

No, they don't. But then neither do female LSW. Nuthatches have been creeping north, so it's possible. Certainly the time of year for it.

One caveat though - LSW don't seem to visit feeders like GSW. They seem to prefer insects to nuts.
Where I grew up in West Berkshire we had Lessers breeding. They, along with Greaters, frequented the bird table 'all the time'. I can't recall having feeders as such, but they were certainly feeding on food put out. Maybe their habits have changed though - that was fifty years ago!

The 'new' poster makes one comment and doesn't respond to members' requests - I call, not BS, but guano!
To be fair Richie last time you said that on a thread that I saw it was completely genuine, as I was able to demonstrate, and they didn't respond to members' requests either.

They may have put it on another forum and been told it was a Great Spotted Woodpecker so not bothered coming back on here. There are lots of possibilities other than BS.

It was 16 years ago...
No, it was yesterday at 6:30am

To be fair Richie last time you said that on a thread that I saw it was completely genuine, as I was able to demonstrate, and they didn't respond to members' requests either.

They may have put it on another forum and been told it was a Great Spotted Woodpecker so not bothered coming back on here. There are lots of possibilities other than BS.

But to go to all of the trouble of registering with a website, creating a username and then posting a comment - to go to all that trouble and then not to check on his original post nor take the time to reply? Okay, maybe I expect too much.

I assumed he was referring to the OP - he didn't make it clear, but if he meant post 32 I'd wait a few days before making the assumption the poster was deliberately ignoring the thread - a lot of people only check the forum once or twice a week.
I didn't mention 'the OP' but I did refer to the 'new poster'.

But I'll do as you say and wait and see - and see if we possibly get that photo too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back