• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

mark clements

Female, in garden of house on Holt Road, between Dereham and North Elmham, this AM at 6.00 ish. Just north of Gorgate lane.
It flew off as I stopped, towards Hoe Common, but I could not relocate.
Definite on ID, it's a species I grew up with in New Forest, only seen one in four years in Norfolk.
Harry

So, has anyone else seen similar?
I have been out but not retraced it.
I am genuinely familiar with the species, from age 8 or 9, and saw the distinct black and whitey / buff ladder back with red patch on head. about 2/3 size of GSW.
Even through certainty I am now doubting myself. What else could it have been?
Cheers
H

Only you can determine your sighting I'm afraid. The surrounding habitat is perfect for the species if it is still hanging on. Given you wrote that it was a female, you must have seen the bird well. All I can offer to support your report is that about ten years ago I saw one on a garden feeder in East Berkshire at the end of June, well away from any known sites - the County recorder had seen one in flight less than a mile away, only a few hours earlier that day, whilst birding Slough Sewage Farm.

I've always thought a Lesser Spot or two could hide in the Wensum Valley. Some of the habitat I've seen along the valley looks good for them (although I am yet to see a Lesser Spot in my life) and occasionally one or two appear at Sculthorpe.

A female LSW doesn't have red on the head, only the male does. If seen from a moving vehicle could you safely exclude a juv GSW?

I've only seen the species in direct comparison with GSW once, in Poland, but I would ascertain they are approximately just over half the size, certainly considerably smaller. I'm a bit out of date with the distribution in the county as it's nearly a decade since I moved away, but I understand the species is confined primarily to the Brecks, with a few territories in the Wensum/Yare and possibly Glaven valleys. Certainly a difficult bird to see in Norfolk away from the Santon Downham area.

It could be worth staking out suitable areas in Feb/March next year to locate a drumming bird.

A female LSW doesn't have red on the head, only the male does. If seen from a moving vehicle could you safely exclude a juv GSW?

Thats a good point:
a) it was from a car, and
b) when I wrote up on Monday, I was defo for female
c) memory is shouting red head, so can't have been female or misremembering

Defo too small fo GSW, we have quite a few around and the juveniles all look bigger.

Will keep looking.

Only you can determine your sighting I'm afraid. The surrounding habitat is perfect for the species if it is still hanging on. Given you wrote that it was a female, you must have seen the bird well. All I can offer to support your report is that about ten years ago I saw one on a garden feeder in East Berkshire at the end of June, well away from any known sites - the County recorder had seen one in flight less than a mile away, only a few hours earlier that day, whilst birding Slough Sewage Farm.

Old age and doubt... both b*st*rds ... kicking in. 8-P

As far as I know, there's only been a maximum of two pairs in recent years, a pair in the Brecks and occasionally a pair elsewhere.

So, has anyone else seen similar?
I am yet to see a Lesser Spot in my life) and occasionally one or two appear at Sculthorpe.
A female LSW doesn't have red on the head, only the male does...
'

Mark, et al....

I've had a Male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker climbing my balcony rail, less than 4ft from my 7ft tall plate-glass (double-glazed) balcony bedroom doors/windows, just 12 days ago !

(Feb' 2020)

I was looking out (across the fields), towards the bird-feeding station on my balcony.

To my utter surprise, this cheeky-chappie came slowly climbing-up the wrought-iron decorative railing

(On the straight, upright, 100% vertical section)

It was around 8.00am & he'd clearly seen the other birds using it
(feeding station - It's attached firmly to the 15-16ft long wrought-iron rail)

No curtains, just straight-glass, so I had a truly FANTASTIC view.

He was there for about 2-mins, just under, but well over 90-seconds upwards.

I've got two Great-Tits there now, as I type this.

Incidentally, yeah, I'm in North Norfolk & just further down the A.148 from Sculthorpe, but it's far more wooded, here.

My Father has a wooded acre, which backs onto the back of the house...

Have seen several here (curiously, always Male), ascending both Silver Birch & Scots Pine**
**(at the back, because the front, overlooks extensive farmland & wooded lanes)

Laughably, one fine viewing, was after (Ahem), 'losing weight' !!!!!!

Leaving the bathroom, I merely opened the louvres & there he was (another L.S.W).

So, they're NOT an uncommon sight here, but sightings CAN be patchy.

The Male who appeared 12-days ago, was SO close, I literally coulda reached-out & touched him !

I've had Goldfinch & Bullfinch here, too - But he's THE first L.S.W I've seen this year.

Wish I'd had my camera to hand, as his appearance just caught me totally off guard.

If I see any more, soonish, I'll holler.

(P.S, I was at Sculthorpe this time last week, as they held an IPMS show, by the Exhibition-Hall)

'

Mark, et al....

I've had a Male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker climbing my balcony rail, less than 4ft from my 7ft tall plate-glass (double-glazed) balcony bedroom doors/windows, just 12 days ago !

(Feb' 2020)

I was looking out (across the fields), towards the bird-feeding station on my balcony.

To my utter surprise, this cheeky-chappie came slowly climbing-up the wrought-iron decorative railing

(On the straight, upright, 100% vertical section)

It was around 8.00am & he'd clearly seen the other birds using it
(feeding station - It's attached firmly to the 15-16ft long wrought-iron rail)

No curtains, just straight-glass, so I had a truly FANTASTIC view.

He was there for about 2-mins, just under, but well over 90-seconds upwards.

I've got two Great-Tits there now, as I type this.

Incidentally, yeah, I'm in North Norfolk & just further down the A.148 from Sculthorpe, but it's far more wooded, here.

My Father has a wooded acre, which backs onto the back of the house...

Have seen several here (curiously, always Male), ascending both Silver Birch & Scots Pine**
**(at the back, because the front, overlooks extensive farmland & wooded lanes)

Laughably, one fine viewing, was after (Ahem), 'losing weight' !!!!!!

Leaving the bathroom, I merely opened the louvres & there he was (another L.S.W).

So, they're NOT an uncommon sight here, but sightings CAN be patchy.

The Male who appeared 12-days ago, was SO close, I literally coulda reached-out & touched him !

I've had Goldfinch & Bullfinch here, too - But he's THE first L.S.W I've seen this year.

Wish I'd had my camera to hand, as his appearance just caught me totally off guard.

If I see any more, soonish, I'll holler.

(P.S, I was at Sculthorpe this time last week, as they held an IPMS show, by the Exhibition-Hall)

Hi Kevin

I live at the back of you and have often seen Great Spotted Woodpeckers here over the last 20 years but have never seen a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker here. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers are now extremely scarce in Norfolk. If you could take a photograph of it next time you see one that would be fantastic as I would love to see it.

Thanks Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back