• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Sundas, Oct-Nov 2016 (1 Viewer)

DMW

Just a short post to draw attention to an absolutely superb trip report written by Gareth Knass (GDK of this parish) covering our very enjoyable trip to the Lesser Sundas late last year. https://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/show/19134/27880.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is the most comprehensive report for the region, packed full of useful information for budget birders, including the relatively infrequently visited islands of Alor and Rote.

Some pretty tasty photos too, including the rarely seen Flores Giant Rat (or Tenggara Rather-large Rodent as it will be called in the new field guide. I kid... ;) )

Thanks guys.

It was a great trip and pretty successful with most of the target species. Really good for owls, with five new Boobooks (including the additional three Southern Boobook splits that IOC will no doubt catch up on soon) and two of three possible new Scops Owls. Of the resident owls, we missed just Wallace's Scops Owl, which we got close to as well but just couldnt see.

re bird names, I knew Id make at least one mistake trying to follow the new field guide nomenclature.... as Orange-banded Thrush has crept in I see. There are probably more.

Unfortunately I dont have time at present to reproduce the report onto here, so it'll have to stay as a link from Duncan's post above.

Cheers,

"The trip cost in total was around £1,200 (including the return long haul flight cost)."

Wow.

That is an incredible report too. Best of the best.

Thanks all.
Indonesia is still a relatively cheap destination to visit, and even flying around the various islands isn’t too expensive, if you book in advance.

As you can imagine we weren’t staying in the luxury end of the market accommodation – looking it up we averaged just over £6 a night pp. The cheapest option, the Hotel in Soe, West Timor cost us just £3.33 each (one night was probably enough at that place :) .

Two interesting articles in the latest BirdingASIA 26(2016) for those planning to go to Lombok or Flores. It says 2016 but I only got my copy two days ago:

I.Wayan Suana, Hilman Ahyadi, Saleh Amin, L.A.T.T.W.S Kalih & Gito Hadiprayitno (2016) Birdwatching in Kerandangan Natural Park, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barart, Indonesia
&
Colin R. Trainor & Phillippe Verbelen (2016) Lewin’s Rail Lewinia pectoralis exsul on Flores, Indonesia: its history, status and where to look for it.

The former describes Kerandangan Natural Park, which is probably a better location near Senggigi for Rinjani Scops Owl than where we went (up a side road heading into the hills), and the latter gives tips on where the Flores endemic form of Lewin’s Rail may occur near to Ruteng.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back