• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2013 (1 Viewer)

Doug, between my website and the facebook group (link from my website) you wont go far wrong. Loads of stuff going on over there and once I arrive on the island (20th) there will be daily sightings updates posted. I'm keeping the sightings page on my website updated every couple of days at the minute.

Watch out Lesvos...

... the Dotterels are coming... One very unexpected passage migrant sighting today on the summit of Mt. Karvounis on Samos 100 miles south of Lesvos as the crow (or indeed Dotterel??) flies (GPS data is embedded in the exif for those who want to see exactly where it was I saw it). I suspect this may be one for the Greek rarities committee.

In other birding notes for Samos and visible passage, saw a couple of Whinchats today probably heading north. Also had a Roller last week (which seems very early to me), though I know that they also breed here on Samos.
Also interesting to note the relative plentitude of Ruppell's and Sardinian Warbler here (by contrast with Lesvos). Here there is a lot of garrigue-type scrubland, and regenerating pine forest after some devastating fires a decade or so ago, so lots of habitat for them here: maybe they can't be bothered to fly any futher??

Attachments

• DotterelSamos12001.jpg
    DotterelSamos12001.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 149
The island's earliest ever White-throated Robin was found yesterday at the Petrified Forest. A singing male! Will he hang around for the weekend?

This and other migrant news on the Lesvos Birding here.

Hi, wonder if you could help, are the Barn Owls here the same as ours or dark-breasted guttata? And where is the best place to try for Dolphins and Monk Seal? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Barn Owls are alba on Lesvos. Both forms occur in Greece, but we get the same as the UK here.

Dolpins are best looked for off the north coast.

Monk Seal - pure pot luck. Only a handful of records from birders. I've seen one in 14 years. There is no known place to look for this species over any other location.

If your on Facebook you can keep up with sightings etc on the Lesvos Birders group page and there is of course my website for daily sightings (link to facebook page on there too).

I've now got the two log books back from the island and input all records from them. Thank you to all those who contributed.

A number of queries now building up, Can you help with any of the following?

Some queries cropping up as I'm inputting records from the island bird logs.

1. is Alan on here (present on the island on 16 May) or know of an Alan on the island in mid-May?
2. ditto Ron & Lesley on the island on 15 May
3. ditto A & P Stromski on the island on 14 May
4. Did you see 2 Rose-coloured Starlings at Kalloni Saltpans on 13 May?
5. Did you see a Red Knot at Kalloni Saltpans on 7 May?
6. Did you photograph a male Common Rosefinch photographed somewhere in the north of the island in early May (image shown to another birder and reported to me)

Any help with these appreciated.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back