• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lesvos Bird News 2021 (1 Viewer)

Mick Sway

Coronavirus 4 January 2021

As I write this , the UK government's latest announcement on proposed restrictions for citizen interaction during the pandemic
have gone to (NHS) alert Level 5 and a new countrywide lock down.
Despite the prospect of vaccination , UK diagnosed positive cases are surging above the daily rate of 50k and a devastating death total of over 75k.
In our preferred bird watching destination of Greece, it appears somewhat more under control , with much lower infection and thankfully, death rates.
However Greece operates much more severe rules , including :
A nationwide nightly curfew from 2100-0500. During curfew hours, individuals may only leave their homes for essential reasons, including work, health emergencies, or short walks with pets. A general lockdown remains in effect outside of curfew hours. Prior to leaving their homes, residents must receive approval from authorities by sending a text message to 13033 or obtain a certificate from their employer. Officials may grant text-based requests for essential reasons, including grocery shopping, medical appointments, or exercise.Travel between regions is prohibited with some exceptions, including travel for essential work. Individuals traveling for these purposes must carry a certificate provided by their employer. Face masks are mandatory in all public spaces.

In light of the above and from what I've heard today , especially regarding the UK's vaccine role out , it seems , very sadly unlikely that Lesvos will see
any UK visitors , at least for Spring 2021.

All this means of course, that locally on Lesvos and tourist wise, there will be very few bird reports feeding through.

However I will continue to post anything that I spot on social media.

Mick Sway

I thought that I'd kick off , 2021 with old news revived, on Social Media last week.
Richard's pipit (Anthus richardi) 23.04.2014 Faneromeni.
A species as far as I can tell , with no previously accepted records for Lesvos .
Lesvos Birders Facebook group interested was piqued , with the submission of an image dated as above.
The photo below has been reproduced with permission of Jerome Fischer
Admin for the group , advised the submission of the record to the Hellenic Records Committee.
Further Googling by yours truly revealed that the bird had been seen by another party at the time, who had submitted
a record form back then, which was later rejected by the HRC, on grounds that the accompanying image was not conclusive.
It should be born in mind that tawny pipit's are reasonably common during both Spring and return migration.

Attachments

• Richards Pipit cc Jerome Fischer Faneromeni 23.04.2014  MS 050121.JPG
    Richards Pipit cc Jerome Fischer Faneromeni 23.04.2014 MS 050121.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Mick Sway

Hellenic Records Committee.
Anyone wishing to submit a rare bird record for Lesvos or for that matter , anywhere else in Greece
should click on the link here for an Unusual Record Report Form.

Mick Sway

2 January 2020
A UK birder still present on the island , based in Skala Kalloni, since before the original lock down 2020
reports the following:
Kalloni Pool Reedbed
White Wagtails (Motacilla alba alba) 50+ roosting in Kallonis Pool reedbed
Lower Potamia Valley
Common Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 2000+ roosting in reedbed

Mick Sway

7 January 2021
Apologies for the incorrect date above , which should of course read 2 January 2021
Christou River
- report from the UK Skala Kalloni resident
Golden Plover (Pluvialis apricaria) 80
Starlings roost - 5k

Mick Sway

13 January 2021
As reported by our local UK correspondent through Facebook.
Tsiknias River Mouth
Great crested grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 230 - in the Gulf off Tsiknias River Mouth.

Apparently the general area was pretty quite following a big storm last night but
the Salt Pans held 2 black storks and 64 flamingoes.

Users who are viewing this thread