• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Canada Goose? Or some sort of Hybrid? S.E. Mass., USA (1 Viewer)

Hello Martin,

I agree with you, its an leucistic Canada Goose without any visible signs of hybridisation:
  • shape of the bird and shape of the the all-black bill is very good for a Canada Goose
  • although difficult (at least) to judge, the left leg (whats visible of it, upper tibia and foot?) seems (muddy-) blackish
  • shape of the white blaze on the face is very good for a Canada Goose (learned that here on BF from Jörn. Thanks again!)
  • all-black tail and lack of paler/greyer greater coverts might well be counted as a feature against the most common Grelag x Canada hybrid. A few but far from all has one of those features. Yes, its better to skip it! But it can work the other way round.

Thank you all. Interesting that only the "color" black is reduced on this bird. The browns remain unaffected.

I've seen a few different types of leucistic Canada geese, none exactly like this, but on those with white spotting or streaking on the head/neck (that I have seen close up), I have noticed that the "abnormal" white is a slightly but noticeably colder/purer white than the "normal" white face pattern. This seems to be true in these photos. I think that this bird looks like an extreme version of that type in which the white has almost completely covered the normally-black parts.

In contrast, those Canada geese I have seen with paler-than-normal brown parts have usually had the black remain unaffected.

The thing that seems oddest to me about this bird is how short the neck looks, but maybe this is a local/subspecific variation thing?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back