• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Life on the Isles of Scilly (1 Viewer)

DJA

My wife and I are taking a trip to the Isles of Scilly for the first time at the end of October. We'll be staying on St. Mary's and taking in some of the other islands whilst there. Any info on the Islands would be much appreciated i.e. Best places for birding.we've been told that the Golf course and Airport are both good places on St.Mary's.where are the best places for an evening meal what is the weather like there at that time of year etc.Any other information you think would be of some use would be gratefully excepted.
Hopefully this will be the start of many trips out there.

Many thanks
DJA

DJA said:
My wife and I are taking a trip to the Isles of Scilly for the first time at the end of October. We'll be staying on St. Mary's and taking in some of the other islands whilst there. Any info on the Islands would be much appreciated i.e. Best places for birding.we've been told that the Golf course and Airport are both good places on St.Mary's.where are the best places for an evening meal what is the weather like there at that time of year etc.Any other information you think would be of some use would be gratefully excepted.
Hopefully this will be the start of many trips out there.

Many thanks
DJA

Went there a couple of years ago. Saw a Buff Breasted Sandpiper on the golf course and a Dotterel at the airport. You will have great time. Try and get to the other islands. There are plenty of places to eat in St Mary's. The Scillonian Club was the best place we found.

Almost anywher in the Isles can turn something up

I especially like the wood walk from Holyvale, down to The nature reserve and on to Porth Hellick

End of October will be seeing the end of the main migrant rush but in Hugh Town just before the pier and just off the main road - if you can call it that - is a notice board giving sightings for the whole group of Islands. Presumably it is still updated at that time of year.

If there are still a number of birders there you will soon hear of any rarities turning up.

Domestically, Hugh TOwn has no lack of places to go to eat, not too expensive and not too noisy. Each main Island has at least one pub that does food. If going across to St Agnes the Turks Head and their pastys are to die for. Prices mostly reasonable and in line with the mainland. If you are going selfcatering there is a co-op in Hughtown to get fresh food. If weather permits hopefully there should still be boat trips to the outer Islands and rocks for seals, birds and maybe dolphins.

(This is all based on my last trip there 3 years ago in September. Buses were £1.50 pp and taxis £4.00 - I think - all flat rate fares)

I hope the weather is good for you and you come back thinking like we did and won't want to leave.

I must make arrangments ot go back again)

Steve

To find where the birds are, just go down to the quay at 9.15 and see which boat the people with scopes are jumping on! Almost everywhere can turn up a rarity. The bird board is directly outside the entrance to the Pilot's Gig restaurant, which does good seafood and has a resident birder, usually in the kitchen unless something rare has turned up. My favourite place to eat is Juliet's Garden at Porthloo, a bit difficult to find off the road up to the Golf Course, but has a very nice view over towards Hugh Town (if you can still sit in the garden that late in the season!). Weather is likely to be inclement, but that's what blows the birds in. Have fun.

The last week in October is known as "Teachers' week" for obvious reasons so there are usually plenty of birders there. In the last few years the major rarities have been turning up late in October so you could be in luck ie Ovenbird in 2004. Have a great week but I hope that not all the major rarities wait until the end of the month!!!.
It may pay you to pick up a timetable for the community bus which runs at regular times around St Mary's, I am sure the fares were only £1 last year and it is used a lot by us oldies. Roger

Also if you order a taxi then try to get three or four birders to join you, often ends up with you paying just a pound each.

A big thanks to you all, have noted down all info and looking forward to our trip even more now.
Roger all of our holidays are taken on Teachers weeks,something the wife and I can't avoid, and have you noticed they are always the dearest weeks in the year.
Steve a man after my own hart,I shall take great delight in sampling a pasty at the Turks Head I may even have a second just for you.

once again thanks for the info and advice
DJA

Hello, I'm going to visit the South of England, Scillies and all the south in general. Do you know where I can see sea birds colonies and other interesting birding places? I've been looking for some information but i didn't found so much. Thank you!!

SpanishBirding said:
Hello, I'm going to visit the South of England, Scillies and all the south in general. Do you know where I can see sea birds colonies and other interesting birding places? I've been looking for some information but i didn't found so much. Thank you!!
Too many good birding places in cornwall to mention here! See CBWPS website or Sennen Cove Birdwatching for Cornwall stuff and IOSBG website for Isles of Scilly. There arent many decent sea bird colonies to view in Cornwall, althugh actual sea watching is rewarding. Try getting hold of the 'Where to watch Birds in .........." series. They cover all the areas in the south west. Hope this helps.

DJA said:
Roger all of our holidays are taken on Teachers weeks,something the wife and I can't avoid, and have you noticed they are always the dearest weeks in the year.
Steve a man after my own hart,

DJA

Given the spelling mistake one hopes you're not an English teacher!! ;)

As previously noted birds will turn up anywhere and there plenty of birders still around.
Great Pool/Abbey Pool at Tresco is worth some time, St Agnes is great to just search looking for your own birds - grab a tourist map (its a single sheet!)from the Tourist Info centre for ease of finding places.

SpanishBirding said:
Hi there,

For sea bird colonies British Stylee, try Berry Head. Do a Google but if that does not satisfy then I can give more details in the morning. Bit tired and supping my ale now.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back