• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lifford Reservoir and nearby canals (1 Viewer)

Sparrowhawk circling high over Kings Norton Park for several minutes around 10am.

Grey Wagtail at Lifford.

Succesful breeding already in evidence for a couple of species.

After being on the back of one of the parent birds for the last two weeks, there were two Great Crested Grebe chicks on the water at Lifford this morning. At least the third successive year of successful breeding at this site.

Red Kite high over being harrassed by large gulls at 11.30am became my 50th species of the year on this patch.

Grey Wagtail x 2 at Lifford this morning
GCG x 4 with 1 chick
Noticeable reduction in Tufted Duck numbers - there's usually at least a dozen, but only a couple this morning.

Greenfinches calling in several places along the canals, and one family group of 6+ birds together. Hopefully they've had a good breeding season.

Popped into Lifford after taking some green waste to the tip.

Family of Grey Wagtails along the eastern edge of the reservoir.
The sole GCG juvenile is now nearly the same size as its parents but still seems to be begging.
Juvenile Moorhens and Coots in several places, and a small brood of newly-hatched Mallard chicks.

Sparrowhawk over the woods between Kings Norton playing fields and the canal junction, 11am.
Loads of starlings, particularly around Lifford Reservoir.
Several small groups of Redwing passing over, all heading W or SW.

In the gloom at lunctime, what looked to be a small Buzzard took off from a tree at the Kings Norton canal junction. As it flew away, it appeared to have a white line running along the centre of the underside of its wings, with wider dark patches on the front and rear edges of the underside. As I watched it fly away, the white 'lines' became more like a line of gaps in the wing feathers with the clouds above showing through. Surely it's a bit late in the year for Buzzards to be moulting still?

Finished 2018 on 55 species for the area around Lifford, best total yet.

Haven't managed to visit this year until I popped in this afternoon. Plenty of evidence of pair-bonding in the sunshine. Coots and Magpies nest-building.

Little Egret has apparently become a regular visitor to the trees at the north end of Lifford Reservoir this year. Single bird perched when I was there on 23rd Feb. When I arrived on 2nd March, I was stopped by a guy wanting an ID for the 'white heron' he'd just seen. He's been living near the reservoir for 40 years and had never seen an Egret round there until last weekend.

There's at least one Pheasant living in the woodland to the west of Lifford Lane along the River Rea. Heard calling last weekend, and a guy who was walking his dog said it's been seen by locals crossing Lifford Lane on foot.

Good to bump into zomerset this morning at Lifford.

The cold wind meant a reduced list from this morning's walk. To quote Tony Philp - "little of note".
I can't even recall seeing any Mute Swans at the reservoir. I think this might be the first time I've ever been there and it be Swan-free.

Grey Wagtail on the River Rea.
Cormorant x 2 on the reservoir.

My sixth visit to Lifford since the start of the year. First time I've ever had three raptor species on the same visit.

Year list already on 47 species - surely I can beat 55 last year?
Notable miss - no sign of a Grey Heron on any of my visits this year.

Mute Swan also missing for the last three weeks - not breeding at the reservoir this year sadly.

Today's list:
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Moorhen
Coot
Great Crested Grebe
Buzzard
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Grey Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Blackbird
Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Nuthatch
Magpie
Jay
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Bullfinch

Popped into Lifford briefly earlier this week, and then again for longer this morning. Swallows present on both visits, 7 this morning.

Now up to 51 species for the year on this patch.

Lifford's resident Great Crested Grebes have a second brood of the spring on the water. Last weekend the nest was still occupied, now there are three chicks being carried around by the adult birds. Juvenile bird hatched a few weeks ago also still present, but well on the way to full-grown now and feeding away from its parents.

Popped into Lifford briefly this morning, likely my last vsit of the year.

Great Black-backed Gull on the roof of the building on right at the entrance to Lifford Lane tip. First time I've seen this species here. Always good numbers of gulls on that roof at this time of year, particularly if the skip company is not using the site, as was the case today. Surprisingly high proportion of Herring Gull, given how predominant Lesser Black-backed Gull seems to be in Birmingham.

Finishing the year around this patch on 57 species. 2017 was 53 species and 2018 was 55 species, so little change here.

New species seen this year:
Great Black-backed Gull, Lesser Whitethroat, Pheasant, Little Egret

2 Little Grebe at Lifford Reservoir mid-morning (Sat 19th Dec), my first record of this species at Lifford.
4 Cormorant also present, and 24 Tufted Duck.

Hi Rob, a couple months back there were Little Grebes at Cannon Hill park. Not seen them recently but they can be difficult to find. However wonder if they moved to Lifford?

Hi Rob, a couple months back there were Little Grebes at Cannon Hill park. Not seen them recently but they can be difficult to find. However wonder if they moved to Lifford?
They could well be the same birds. The remnants of a couple of fallen trees are creating some good habitat for them at present.

Both birds still present this afternoon, along with a single male Pochard. My first Pochard at Lifford since Feb 2017, according to Birdtrack.

Hello :)

New to this forum. I was at Lifford Res between 9am - 10am this morning - pretty cold! I can report that the following were spotted:

Robin
Mute Swan
Great Crested Grebe
Tufted Duck
Mallard
Black Headed Gull
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Herring Gull
Canada Goose
Moorhen
Grey Heron
and a Great Spotted Woodpecker in a tree on the Tunnel Lane approach.

I saw 2 x cormorants their on the 30th December but didn't see them today.

Hi Maypole Birder. You must have been around Lifford at pretty much the same time as me yesterday.
The two Little Grebe were still present yesterday morning, in addition to the species on your list. I recorded 40 species around the reservoir and the nearby canals, a good start to the year on that patch.

My final 2020 total for Lifford and environs was 62 species, up from 57 the previous year. Less frequent visits through the spring due to Lockdown 1, but my knowledge of when and where to find species on the patch is increasing every year.
New species recorded in 2020 - Little Grebe, Common Gull, Common Sandpiper, Goosander.

Hi Maypole Birder. You must have been around Lifford at pretty much the same time as me yesterday.
The two Little Grebe were still present yesterday morning, in addition to the species on your list. I recorded 40 species around the reservoir and the nearby canals, a good start to the year on that patch.

My final 2020 total for Lifford and environs was 62 species, up from 57 the previous year. Less frequent visits through the spring due to Lockdown 1, but my knowledge of when and where to find species on the patch is increasing every year.
New species recorded in 2020 - Little Grebe, Common Gull, Common Sandpiper, Goosander.
Many thanks Rob. I shall have to keep me eyes peeled for the Little Grebes next time I go to Lifford :)

My wife and I went down briefly this morning. Very cold and about 80-90% of the reservoir was frozen. Very few birds were present this morning.

No gulls on the reservoir at all in the relatively short time we were there, a few were overhead but I struggle to ID them when in flight.

1 cormorant was there, as was the grey heron. I spotted a song thrush in a bush on the corner of Lifford Lane/Tunnel Lane.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back