• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light Transmission in Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Thanks all for your feedback and input. I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge members have on this forum! I initially raised the question about transmission as I have recently become interested in it with respect to binoculars. Allbinos.com frequently publishes transmission graphs of the binoculars it reviews and the results are fascinating. Direct correlation to price and level of transmission with a few cheaper binoculars often exhibiting very good results. Also interesting to see some showing a flat curve vs one that spikes in the middle and not rendering colours accurately.

Is anyone aware of any other websites that publish transmission data of binoculars? Some manufacturers do, others do not. Vortex being one that doesn't. I asked them about this and they said its proprietary!

Thanks all for your feedback and input. I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge members have on this forum! I initially raised the question about transmission as I have recently become interested in it with respect to binoculars. Allbinos.com frequently publishes transmission graphs of the binoculars it reviews and the results are fascinating. Direct correlation to price and level of transmission with a few cheaper binoculars often exhibiting very good results. Also interesting to see some showing a flat curve vs one that spikes in the middle and not rendering colours accurately.

Is anyone aware of any other websites that publish transmission data of binoculars? Some manufacturers do, others do not. Vortex being one that doesn't. I asked them about this and they said its proprietary!

See post 21!

Lee

Hi Fotbg,

A few years ago, I was approached by a representative of a very reputable binocular company and asked to put my name behind a “drawing” illustrating their binoculars had better light transmission than those produced by Europe’s BIG THREE. It was indicated that doing so could be financially rewarding. In many ways, their binos were the equal of those European products. Superior in light transmission? No. I’d say equal was more than good enough. It takes a lifetime to create a good reputation, but that reputation can be destroyed by one poor choice in a moment of weakness. I declined.

Light transmission is a subject for photometers and not the opinions of observers. Even so, because of the physiological differences between observers, it takes major breakthroughs in technology to make a difference that can be realized by binocular users across the board. In advertising? No. In speculation? No. In opinion? No. In reality? Most definitely.

When it comes to optics, too many people believe what they read without question even though they don’t understand the nuances involved in the speculation. For example, binocular X might have superior light transmission (measured, not speculated on) than binocular Y and Z. But because of poor baffling, too big a field stop, and a poor eyepiece design binocular Y and Z have far better resolution. Reality giveth ... opinion taketh away.

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it; ignorance may deride it. But in the end, there it is.” — Winston Churchill

Finally, as Aristotle, the master of bird watching, was prone to say: “The birds don’t give a rip.” :cat:

Just a thought,

Bill

Thanks Bill - excellent points you make. So easy to get caught up with a specification on paper and not be concerned with the overall system and how it looks through your own eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back