• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Like Vortex 8x42 Razor - Looking for similar quality 8x30/32 (1 Viewer)

Dennis, what else is there to do these days, lawn is mowed, laundry is done. The first time cinco de mayo falls on taco Tuesday and we have a virus called corona. I guess I should have PMd it to him. Oh well live and learn.

Andy W.

Saying the Meopta 8x32 B1.1 eye cups are on the small side depending on your eye socket facial size is very subjective and should not persuade anyone from not trying these. I find that the ocular lens size plays a very important role in whether or not the binocular works for me. As can be seen with my photo showing the Meopta B1.1 next to my Swarovski 8x30 CL first generation the ocular lens of the Meopta is slightly larger than the Swarovski 8x30 CL. Before I actually brought the Swarovski 8x30 CL binoculars to my eyes for the first time, I was not sure they would be a fit to my eyes because of my large face. As it turned out they fit very well. It’s the ocular design of the Swarovski as with the the Meopta that works for me despite its minimal eye relief or it’s subjective size of their eye cups.

Attachments

• 46F1D113-6235-44FF-900E-2A9405A99A78.jpeg
    46F1D113-6235-44FF-900E-2A9405A99A78.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 48
Saying the Meopta 8x32 B1.1 eye cups are on the small side depending on your eye socket facial size is very subjective and should not persuade anyone from not trying these. I find that the ocular lens size plays a very important role in whether or not the binocular works for me. As can be seen with my photo showing the Meopta B1.1 next to my Swarovski 8x30 CL first generation the ocular lens of the Meopta is slightly larger than the Swarovski 8x30 CL. Before I actually brought the Swarovski 8x30 CL binoculars to my eyes for the first time, I was not sure they would be a fit to my eyes because of my large face. As it turned out they fit very well. It’s the ocular design of the Swarovski as with the the Meopta that works for me despite its minimal eye relief or it’s subjective size of their eye cups.
Both Dries, jgraider and I found the Meopta Meostar B.1 8x32 to have small eye cups so thought I would warn cjmassey about the possibility of the eye cups being too small. I also found the Swarovski CL 8x30 to have small eye cups so your eye sockets are probably smaller than all of ours.

Last edited:
A few quick thoughts here. First, as far as binoculars go, ALWAYS be wary of ANYTHING high value, used, offered on the bay. Most of the sellers are clueless and what they tell you about condition is ALWAYS suspect. I would take the serial number and call Zeiss with it. The last thing you need is a gray market or stolen item on your hands. The status of the binocular should be revealed by the number. If it checks out, then if it were me, after saying the above, I'd hit the buy it now button. Those viewing this binocular are hoping somebody will bid it low, and they will be able to snag it on an even better deal. The price is already low enough to be at least partially suspect, don't get greedy...provided the serial number checks out. Ask specifically what happens if you need to send it for service. Save the listing page, particularly the picture with the serial number, in case you do buy it and the serial number on the one you get does not match the listing.

Allbinos reviews should always be suspect. Two reasons for that. One is they never seem to take the effort to determine if their sample specimen is damaged or out of spec in some way. Second it it is impossible to assign subjective performance values for various parameters and then use those to to assign objective performance number particulars. No amount of anecdotal observations will ever amount to a data set. Aside from that, they do have a lot of good information, but it is often not easy for a newcomer to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Different people see things differently but the Swarovski CL is NOT significantly better than the 8x32 Meostar. Neither is it immediately apparent it is any better than the Maven B 3. The B3 is something the OP needs to look at as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm afraid to buy a used one without seeing how the ergonomics work for me. I have the Swarvoski and Meopta coming tomorrow to compare with the Razor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back