• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Likes??? (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
Having a 'like' function for posts seems to me a very negative move for Bird Forum. It's not that kind of site, and shouldn't be. What is the supposed point of this feature? In what way is it supposed to make the site better for general users? Why is a 'thumbs-up' sign with the names of users who have 'liked' a post thought to be a good thing? It makes the site less pleasant for me - why are we supposed to judge others' posts? And it will make me think less of those who decide to 'like' some posts for reasons I can't fathom.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
I am trying to get used to the like function. I do find it helpful in some situations, for example in ruffled feathers on the joke thread it makes it quite easy to let someone know you enjoyed their joke. And in the ID forum if I go in after what I think is the correct ID I can just like the post that ID’d the bird without chiming in with a post of my own.

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Having a 'like' function for posts seems to me a very negative move for Bird Forum. It's not that kind of site, and shouldn't be. What is the supposed point of this feature? In what way is it supposed to make the site better for general users? Why is a 'thumbs-up' sign with the names of users who have 'liked' a post thought to be a good thing? It makes the site less pleasant for me - why are we supposed to judge others' posts? And it will make me think less of those who decide to 'like' some posts for reasons I can't fathom.
How about as shorthand:
A simple thanks - 'thumbs up'
Or a LOL - 'haha'
etc

I don't think it's designed as a popularity, or d**k measuring contest, or designed to 'judge' other people's posts ...... 😲😁😊

P.S. I notice that 'Blue Steve' gave your OP the 'angry' face ..... either he got out of the wrong side of bed, stubbed his toe, and took it out on you as the first post he read 😁 .... or he doesn't really agree with the premise of your post, and has just given you his shorthand viewpoint.

I was watching Seven of Nine yesterday - she said:
"We must adapt"
and ........
"Resistance is futile"
😁

I hope you can somehow find that pleasantness and enjoyment of the site again πŸ˜˜πŸ‘

Hey look on the bright side - at least there's no middle finger on the like menu, or even worse a middle finger turned sideways for your dog too ! πŸ˜‚

Chosun πŸ™…

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
I think that as long as "likes" are merely shorthand comments, not driving what people view or are shown, as happens on social media, they're not a real problem.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
I agree the β€˜like’ buttons are a good shorthand just to acknowledge posts without writing anything especially on ID threads if several others have already agreed the ID.

Looking at the cumulative figures listed under β€˜Membersβ€˜ section though, left me rather confused as to what the merit was in having such a list. The posters with by far the most β€˜reactions’ I noticed are those with hundreds or even thousands of images in the gallery because the gallery lends itself to show ’likes’ as being the quick and appropriate primary reactions to other members photo/media content.

In the written forums, on the other hand, the primary responses will be continue to be written ones as reactions tend to be of a fluid and discursive nature rather than a like or dislike. Therefore, after a time, only members posting in the gallery are likely to feature in these lists imo. Having separate Gallery/Media reaction lists to written forum reaction lists would make more qualitative sense to me as would perhaps seeing a whole list or at least more than a handful of names or, not bother with a public cumulative list at all.

Users who are viewing this thread