• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

A query from wikispecies:

Jardine & Selby - Illustrations of Ornithology

This publication has 4 volumes, I was able to find online 1 and 2 at BHL and 4 at Google Books, see here, but unable to find volume 3. Can anybody help? Thanks - Hector Bottai

Can anyone help, please?

Laurent on Diagnosis not seen thread :
Illustrations of Ornithology
● Macronus Jardine & Selby 1835: series I, III (10), pl. 150, p.91.
● Oreopholus Jardine & Selby 1835: series I, III (10), pl. 151, p.93

I have volumes 1, 2 and 4, but not 3. This is derived from Google Books [here] (which won't download, even with an American proxy):
here https://books.google.be/books?id=x81cAAAAcAAJ . ???

Last edited:
Bulletin of the Department of Biology ... ?

Does anyone know where to find digitized copies (in full access) of the following Journal/editions?

Bulletin of the Department of Biology [College of Science, Sun Yatsen University, Canton, China]
• "No. 5" (1930)
• "Vol. 6, No.2" (1934)
• "Vol. 6, No.4" (1935)

Grateful for any help, on either one!

Björn

Does anyone know where to find digitized copies (in full access) of the following
No.
The 1930 one might be titled Bulletin of the Biological Department but by 1931 it became Bulletin of the Department of Biology.
https://iucn-tftsg.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Articles/Fan_1931.pdf .
Here is a fish paper from 1929 showing journal name Bulletin of the Biological Department.
https://www.abebooks.de/servlet/Boo...62&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1#&gid=1&pid=1 .

I have seen the englishized name [Kuo li chung shan ta hsüeh li k’o shêng hse ts’ung k’an]. . But still not close to full copies.

Last edited:
To bad, I guess it's time for yet another walk, back to the Library (again), before they lock it down, due to the Covid-19 pandemic (it's actually still open, and those Bulletins are supposed to be there, somewhere, tucked away in their huge storehouses/cellars) ...

But thanks for trying, Mark :t:

Mask on.

Björn

Severtzov (1873) Izvestia Imp. Obschestva Liubitelei Estest. Antrop. Etnogr., Moscow 8 (publication of Leptopoecile, etc.) - available anywhere please?

My own search not helped by the reluctance, nay, outright refusal, of anyone, anywhere, on the internet to give the full title with nothing abbreviated (in either Cyrillic or Latin script), plus the massive variation in orthography between citations, which means BHL search doesn't work with it :mad: :mad: :mad:

Severtzov (1873) Izvestia Imp. Obschestva Liubitelei Estest. Antrop. Etnogr., Moscow 8 (publication of Leptopoecile, etc.)
In full (and in original pre-reform spelling), it is:

Северцов НА [Severtsov NA]. 1873. Вертикальное и горизонтальное распредѣленіе Туркестанскихъ животныхъ. [Vertical and horizontal distribution of Turkestan animals]. Извѣстія императорскаго общества любителей естествознанія, антропологіи и этнографіи [Proceedings of the Imperial Society of the Devotees of Natural History, Anthropology and Ethnography], 8 (2): 1-155.​

The only copy of the original work that I know of is at http://books.e-heritage.ru/book/10080878.
(But it can't be easily downloaded, has no OCR layer, hence is not searchable, and linking directly to a given page is not possible).

Last edited:
In full (and in original pre-reform spelling), it is:

Северцов НА [Severtsov NA]. 1873. Вертикальное и горизонтальное распредѣленіе Туркестанскихъ животныхъ. [Vertical and horizontal distribution of Turkestan animals]. Извѣстія императорскаго общества любителей естествознанія, антропологіи и этнографіи [Proceedings of the Imperial Society of the Devotees of Natural History, Anthropology and Ethnography], 8 (2): 1-155.​

The only copy of the original work that I know of is at http://books.e-heritage.ru/book/10080878.
(But it can't be easily downloaded, has no OCR layer, hence is not searchable, and linking directly to a given page is not possible).
Back to this one - I found you can link to a particular page: first go to the page you want, then right-click and select 'view image'. That gives you an URL for that page alone (y)

Back to this one - I found you can link to a particular page: first go to the page you want, then right-click and select 'view image'. That gives you an URL for that page alone (y)
Yes, of course -- but if you do that, you make navigation through the book perfectly impossible for the reader who would follow your link. This reader might, for example, want to check the title page of the work. Or he might want to see other pages in the work where the name might also appear, and where potential additional information, e.g., about the type locality, might be found (e.g., the main description of Leptopoecile is on p. 135, but the name also appears on quite a number of other pages -- at least: 9, 23, 50, 58, 66).

I, in any case, know that I wouldn't be overly happy if given a link like this. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, of course -- but if you do that, you make navigation through the book perfectly impossible for the reader who would follow your link. This reader might, for example, want to check the title page of the work. Or he might want to see other pages in the work where the name might also appea, and where potential additional information, e.g., about the type locality, might be found (e.g., the main description of Leptopoecile is on p. 135, but the name also appears on quite a number of other pages -- at least: 9, 23, 50, 58, 66).

I, in any case, know that I wouldn't be overly happy if given a link like this. ;)
True! And I've also just discovered the image links aren't permanent - come back after a few minutes and they're replaced with this (my Russian is zero, so I don't know what it says):

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 4
To bad, I guess it's time for yet another walk, back to the Library (again), before they lock it down, due to the Covid-19 pandemic (it's actually still open, and those Bulletins are supposed to be there, somewhere, tucked away in their huge storehouses/cellars) ...
A reply, to my own post, a bit odd, but somewhat necessary, as ...

Unfortunately, the Stockholm University Library didn't have (far from it) a full set of the Bulletin of the Department of Biology (College of Science, Sun Yatsen University), from 1930 and onwards, nor of (its forerunner ) the preceding Bulletin of the Biological Department (Science College, Sun Yat-sen [sic, hyphenated] University), from 1929 (the latter Title seems only to have been used in the very First year) ... just like Mark suspected (in post #224).

Some copies appear to have been lost, or simply misplaced (or gone/vanished in an unknown office of some equally unknown, self-willed researcher, who simply refuse to fill in the compulsory loan records), while other/s never ever were included on/in their shelves, and the certain few that I was trying to find was neither found nor traced ... simply; not there.

Thus, if anyone know of the three below, or have seen either one digitized (in full), please let me know.

Bulletin of the Department of Biology (College of Science, Sun Yatsen University)
• "No. 5" (1930)​
• "Vol. 6, No.2" (1934)​
• "Vol. 6, No.4" (1935)​

Grateful for any assistance.

Stay safe!

Björn

Last edited:
For some, whatever odd, reason (!?) the: Bulletin of the Department of Biology [College of science, Sun Yatsen University], Vol. 6 (1934), ... seems to have been scanned into Google books, under the (somewhat wishy-washy, or empty/insipid/jaded) Title: "Science Journal ..., Volym 6" (here).

Anyone of our US friends who can access it?

Or is it still (also in the US) off-limit, due to copy-right rules?

/B

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back