• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

(Litchfield and Canton, Connecticut, USA) Unknown bird calls (1 Viewer)

Parrots

United States
Heard from the shore of a lake, most likely in trees:

Small finch-like bird flyovers -- this site is popular with migrating finches, e.g. Red Crossbills:

Different call, heard last week, 8 or so small birds:

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

RudiJG1

Recording 1 is a Blue Jay, and Recording 4 is too faint to be confident about, although I’m getting either Horned Lark or Tree Sparrow vibes. I agree that Recordings 2 and 3 are Red Crossbill.

Parrots

United States
Thanks! Hadn't associated the first call with a Blue Jay before, but after your post I noticed it again this week. Ran into a couple sounds today that I wasn't sure about:

Wooded forest near a reservoir, noticed finch silhouettes in a tree around the time of the first call (but they could've been goldfinches, which I heard after this).

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
.... Ran into a couple sounds today that I wasn't sure about:

Wooded forest near a reservoir, noticed finch silhouettes in a tree around the time of the first call (but they could've been goldfinches, which I heard after this).
The first one, if it was over here, my immediate reaction would be [Eurasian] Nuthatch. So check out White-breasted Nuthatch, and Red-breasted too, to see if either of them is your bird.

No idea with the 2nd!

Users who are viewing this thread